New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Switched to IMAP - now can't receive messages except sporadically

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Switched to IMAP - now can't receive messages except sporadically

I followed Comcast's suggestion to switch from POP3 to IMAP.  I use Outlook 2011 for Mac.  I went to Tools..Accounts and created a new Account  with the same credentials as my existing POP3 account (COMCAST), but with a new account name (COMCAST 1) and the IMAP server specified.

I can send emails, but can't receive them by clicking on Outlook's SEND/RECEIVE button.  However, occasionally, Outlook seems to synch automatically with Comcast and retrieve messages.  It is only when I specifically instruct it to get new msgs that it ignores me.  Also, in the bottom right corner of the screen in Outlook, it says "Not connected to Comcast 1"

As an aside, if I go to my comcast email via the web, the emails are there and marked as new.

Foolishly, I called Comcast tech support and spoke to someone who finally decided to escalate me to the "email technical support" department.  I'm not allowed to talk to them, however.  But they can call me in case they have questions.  

SInce the person I spoke to clearly didn't understand what the problem was, I despair of ever getting it solved without an actual conversation with someone knowledgeable.  I'm hoping that some of the citizen techies on this forum may be able to help.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Switched to IMAP - now can't receive messages except sporadically

By looking at a number of conversations on this forum, I discovered one where the original person posting discovered that "always use secure password" has to be de-selected for either a POP or an IMAP setup in Outlook.

I'm glad to have this repository of customer knowledge because it's pretty clear that, with respect to Comcast customer service, you're on your own.   (In fairness to Comcast, a couple of hours after figuring this out, I got a call (went to my voicemail) from the email technical department to see if I had resolved the problem or if I needed further assistance.  However,  I think that their first-line people need to be able to figure out things like this and, if they are going to escalate it, the customer should be able to talk to the higher-level person during that call)

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

By looking at a number of conversations on this forum, I discovered one where the original person posting discovered that "always use secure password" has to be de-selected for either a POP or an IMAP setup in Outlook.

I'm glad to have this repository of customer knowledge because it's pretty clear that, with respect to Comcast customer service, you're on your own.   (In fairness to Comcast, a couple of hours after figuring this out, I got a call (went to my voicemail) from the email technical department to see if I had resolved the problem or if I needed further assistance.  However,  I think that their first-line people need to be able to figure out things like this and, if they are going to escalate it, the customer should be able to talk to the higher-level person during that call)

New Poster

I am having the same issue.  cannot receive through MS Outlook 2007.  I spoke to 5 comcast techs and changed my settings 5 times (basically each one said the same thing), and no one could solve the problem.  Sent me direct to the Higher tech and spoke on the phone to him and went through it all again.  He could not do any better so referred me to the support.microsoft.com and could not talk to anyone just the instructions online.  So it did it all again and still cannot receive email through outlook.  Help!

New Poster

Per one suggestion I have never "selected" "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication" and I still cannot receive any emails. 

New Poster

I just got an idea and I looked in the left side column and found "All Mail items"  under that I found a file that had an "inbox" with a lot of my received mail in it.   so the outgoing is shown in one inbox and the incoming is in another one?   I dont know why, but at least i found the incoming emails.