Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Suddenly primary user can no longer edit e-mail options for secondary user

Regular Visitor

Suddenly primary user can no longer edit e-mail options for secondary user

Today I received a message saying "we are sad you are changing your service" (I DID NOT CHANGE) and telling me I can still use the secondary e-mail.  OK, I was able to log in and had to check a box to get through privacy to it.  (That is I logging in using the secondary address.)

BUT, even though as primary I had allowed all permissions for the secondary, there is another issue when I try to change e-mail settings for the secondary.  Says only the primary can.  No settings page. 

So I log out, log back in as PRIMARY, see the second user account there in preferences and verify it has all permissions.  Then I click on the e-mail settings tab and it sends me to a new page.  BUT that page is for the PRIMARY e-mail settings.  I click the account and it says I have ONE e-mail address.  I have TWO.  I need both.  The secondary which I could always view and change using my primary no longer shows me any way to do this.  I had called Comcast and they said no changes were made to the account.

BUT IT HAS CHANGED.  I did NOT authorize this.  The secondary e-mail is critical to me, and should be accessible to edit options as primary.  I have no idea what is going on.  I want this corrected so I can view and edit options in the secondary user account when logged in as primary.  The e-mail settings were always that way. 

I go around and around in circles with the phone reps.  They tell me nothing has changed, but I get this Comcast e-mail to say it has and then I check it out and yes, it has been changed, but not by me.  I am the only user, with 2 e-mail addresses.  They should both be able to be edited and viewed from my primary log in.  Now they are not.  I need to get in to be sure certain options for the secondary are what I want and I am blocked.

Anyone have any clue what's going on?  Anyone else with this issue?    Please get this fixed.

Regular Visitor

Re: Suddenly primary user can no longer edit e-mail options for secondary user

Frustrated at not being able to figure this out and needing access now, I called Comcast and had to be escalated to a higher level support.  It turns out that during the process of transferring / moving my account when I physically moved 2 weeks ago, which was the most messed-up experience I have ever had with Comcast, someone never bothered to keep the two users with the account and the secondary had been considered the e-mail/user for the account which was closed when they assigned a new one at my new address.  So this level 2 analyst spent quite a while with me and finally we were able to actually ADD the secondary back to the current account, even though it was showing on a tab as secondary already,  I cannot figure out how a secondary which is showing on the user screen had to be re-added as if it were not there, but nothing in this experience has made any sense.

Making a long story short, I can now access the secondary e-mail settings features again but only by logging in to the secondary account. If I am on the tab for the secondary on my user screen while logged into the primary account, those settings apply themselves to the primary account even if you accessed them using the secondary tab.  Such a convoluted mess.  What it boils down to is that if you want to edit settings for the secondary (or other accounts) you need to log into THOSE accounts, but they must be added first to the primary user account or they are not accessible. No matter what user tab you are using while logged into the primary, anything you do is applied to primary, not any of the other users. 

I have only posted here in hopes that this might help someone else.  I benefit from other peoples' comments and this was such a confusing issue that it required escalation and still is not simple to work with.  But in a round about way I finally am back to where I was before the move, and that is a relief.  Moving from one physical place to another should be easy if you want to believe the commercials Xfinity shows on tv - not so.  Add to that an issue when first logging in to the added account that you have to set contact info, etc. which is already set, so the system rejects what you try to use, saying it is in use.  Of course it is in use. It is MINE.  They want a cell number but when you enter it they say it is registered to another account!  So the system cannot process the fact that one actual user with more than one e-mail still has only ONE cell phone #.  I chose to skip for now, but I feel it will come back to haunt me later.  How can one enter a second cell # if you only have one cell?   We are entitled to up to 10 usernames/e-mail addresses in one account - does Comcast think we have 10 cell phones each???????

Thi has exhausted me, an I sure hope some Comcast reps read this and take note of all these issues, making it a horrible experience for consumers.