New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Spoofing.

ANSWERED
New Poster

Spoofing.

So the last couple days I have been receiving spoof email to my comcast account. I have been reading as much as I can and so far it seems like there is nothing I can do about this? I have run scans on my computer (came back clean) and removed email from my phone so it can now only be accessed on my MAC. Now it has started happening to my husband's comcast account too (we do not use the same MAC). I am noticing that there are several people reporting this issue with comcast as of the last couple days. Did something happen with comcast? Were their servers hacked and email addresses copied to allow the spoofing? I have had this email address for almost 15 years and have never had a problem and really don't want to close the account. Suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Re: Spoofing.

With credit to our Anti Spam team who has recently posted...

There was a recent compromise that resulted in google relaying a _lot_ of spam. They usually do a relatively good job of filtering their outbound mail, but these were tougher to catch. The spams should be getting caught now. We believe this was (one of) the compromise(s) that was exploited to send the spam:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/1-million-android-accounts-compromised-by-android-malware-ca...

"The rooted devices then download and install software that steals the authentication tokens that allow the phones to access the owner's Google-related accounts without having to enter a password. The tokens work for a variety of Google properties, including Gmail, Google Photos, Google Docs, Google Play, Google Drive, and G Suite."

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

I've posted and read others about this same thing.  My spam slam started when I got an email from "myself" with the subject "wife out of control".  It showed a message, 11.5K in size, but there was nothing there. All these spams since show a message with an average size of 11K, and as per the header there are never any return paths.

New Poster

Same thing happend to me a few days ago.  I have had email address for about 15 years, never this problem before.  I have several security packages running on my computer.    What is going on.  I just want it to stop!!!

Official Employee

With credit to our Anti Spam team who has recently posted...

There was a recent compromise that resulted in google relaying a _lot_ of spam. They usually do a relatively good job of filtering their outbound mail, but these were tougher to catch. The spams should be getting caught now. We believe this was (one of) the compromise(s) that was exploited to send the spam:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/11/1-million-android-accounts-compromised-by-android-malware-ca...

"The rooted devices then download and install software that steals the authentication tokens that allow the phones to access the owner's Google-related accounts without having to enter a password. The tokens work for a variety of Google properties, including Gmail, Google Photos, Google Docs, Google Play, Google Drive, and G Suite."

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

My problem seemed to be thanks to the Google problem.  When using/depending on Comcast's filtering system and started getting spam the filters didn't catch, I cleared out all spam/block filters, did a deep clean on my system (run: Malware Bytes, CCleaner, disk cleaner, clearing browser history, clearing: temp, %temp% and prefetch files),  rebooted the computer and started over again.  It seemed to work setting new filters.  Pain in the rump, but that's what worked for me as Tech support couldn't help.