Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Spoofing

New Poster

Spoofing

I only seem to get spoofed when I am on a certain xfinity wireless modem. Is it possible someone may be using my xfinity modem to spoof?
Email Expert

Re: Spoofing

I doubt it.  Spammers use email addresses they get from a variety of sources.  It has nothing to do with your modem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Re: Spoofing

Latoque wrote:

I doubt it.  Spammers use email addresses they get from a variety of sources.  It has nothing to do with your modem.

Sources like this forum for instance. I'm not one of them, but expert hackers do know that Comcast makes you register here with your user name which is also your at comcast dot net e-mail address and they can spoof it from here. I haven't found a setting on here that lets you use an alias name for the user name on this forum that's seperate from your actual e-mail address. Not without creating a sub user name in the Customer Account Portal, but then again, that too becomes an e-maill address that can then be spoofed also. Maybe one of you "experts" know how to make your user name apper differently on this forum then what your actual comcast dot net e-mail address is. But Latoque is right about the modem. All your modem does is convert the radio signals that it gets from Comcast Xfinity's plant into a signal that your computer or router can understand. Each modem has a MAC Address or Media Access Control Address which is, both on your modem's BIOS chip and is also usually printed on a label affexed to your modem. This MAC Address is how Comcast controls your access to their network to surf and not your e-mail address.
I am not paid by Xfinity nor am I an official Xfinity Forum expert. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those in that program & I hope to one day join them. I am a paying customer just like U. Did I happen to answer your question or solve your issue? If so, then please consider giving me Kudos and / or marking my posting as an "Accepted Solution" so that the other contributors can go on to the next issue. Giving me Kudos and / or marking my postings as an "Accepted Solution" is the best way U can thank us. God bless.