Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Spam from yahoo.com accounts

New Poster

Spam from yahoo.com accounts

I'd like Xfinity to please explain why I'm receiving numerous spam emails from yahoo.com.  Fifteen so far the past two days.  I forward them to spam.gov and move them to the spam folder.  What else can I do?  

Email Expert

Re: Spam from yahoo.com accounts

Do you mean someone using a Yahoo email address?  Or do you mean you are gettings ad emails from the company------Yahoo?  If it's garden variety junk mail, just keep marking them as Spam when they get to your Inbox.  it helps to train the filters.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Sorry my post was unclear.  I'm receiving spam from yahoo.com email addresses for all sorts of nonsense.  

Email Expert

OK then follow the course of action I posted upthread.  You could set up a filter to block the Yahoo domain, but then you would also block any legitimate emails from people who happen to have a Yahoo email address.  You might find these short articles of interest----------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

and

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I encountered the exact same problem also in mid-December.  I rarely have ever received spam or any unwanted emails through my Comcast/Xfinity email account  -  until mid December 2017.  This was during the time that Xfinity/Comcast was migrating over to a new email server platform and there were various glitches in service.  All of a sudden I started receiving spam emails from Yahoo accounts with malicious links and I continue to receive them daily.  I blocked Yahoo accounts.  I later realized that there appears to be some connection to whatever I searched on the Internet. It started with a search for a flashlight on Home Depot's website.  A few days later I started getting emails from Yahoo accounts with malicious links.  I searched an obituary and now receive Yahoo emails for funeral homes and it continues with my receiving Yahoo emails related to websites I use.   Since I had purchased a new laptop, I thought I had a gotten a virus immediately after setup.  But, nothing is detected in Norton Antivirus, Malwarebytes, etc..  Now I am going to reset my new laptop to see if that solves the problem.  It only makes sense that I have a virus/malware, but I find it very odd that the other person that posted this issue started getting spam email from Yahoo accounts at the exact same time that I did.  That's a very interesting connection and I would bet that others have encountered the same problem but just haven't complained.  I called Comcast tonight.  They issued a service ticket.  Wondering if I will get a response and what it will be.  As an IT person, I'm extremely careful about websites that I use, not clicking on any links, etc., and this one has me stumped.

New Poster

I've had the same issue.  After happy years without spam in my email account (and giving Comcast for getting that one thing right), I started getting numerous spam messages towards the end of last year, always from yahoo.com accounts.   They appear to be ad emails (i.e., ordinary spam) but then when I hover over the email address, it shows the real address and it's unrelated to the fake identity.  And it's always a yahoo address.  

I've never clicked on any of the embedded links but would assume they are malicious. 

New Poster

Are the emails that you are receiving relating to your web browsing?  Almost a 100% of mine are.  The very first time that I browsed on my new laptop was on Home Depot's website for a flashlight.  I have Norton Antivirus installed - provided through Comcast.  I'm not logged into any account with any of these sites which is one of the first questions that people ask to see if there is a connection.  I'm guessing there are a lot of other people who are experiencing this issue, and I hope that they comment as well so that Comcast/Xfinity takes this issue seriously.  After all the time I spent doing a full reset on my laptop and reinstalling all my software, etc. on my new laptop, it's upsetting to have wasted all that time if Comcast is the issue.  It's also dangerous that someone can see view all  my browsing and somehow has my email address.  

New Poster

Well, they are fairly well targeted to me, so yes, I guess they are.  Doubly creepy.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation