New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Spam email ~ Apparently From Comcast

ANSWERED
New Poster

Spam email ~ Apparently From Comcast

I wasn't sure where to go with this, but I recieved this today a litte while ago in my email, and thought I would post this here to alert other Comcast members. As well as Comcast agents. I of course could tell this was a scam/spam email..the typos and mispells definitely gave it away. So, here is the following email.  I'm posting it as a C & P.

Date: 03/13/17 20:28:15
Subject: irregular activity

Accepted Solution

Re: Spam email ~ Apparently From Comcast

Janea,

We apologize that you are experiencing this issue. I can tell you that most likely this is not a valid email from Comcast. The hyperlinks that were included in this message definitely were not created by Comcast.

In the future if you have any concerns about the validity of an email from Comcast or Xfinity, you can get more informaiton on how to tell exactly by reading this post: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Comcast-Email-Phish-or-Legit-How-to-Tell-and-rules-for-posting/td-p/1217517

Some of the major things that will let you know if it is legit is:

• Official Comcast mail will never be sent with Xfinity.User or Comcast.User as the sender. THESE MAILS ARE PHISHING ATTEMPTS/SCAMS.
  • They won't include attachments for you to open in order to access your account.
  • Another sign of a phishing attempt is the sender address. If it contains @ with .2 letters it was sent from a domain outside the United States. An example of this is @uc.cl (which is in a post by a customer who received a phishing attempt from someone using that domain) cl is for Chile. Each country has a domain code. A good search engine will help you identify the country. Comcast will not send mail from another country domain.
  • Another thing you can do is look at the headers in the email, which often contain clues that Comcast did not send it. If you don't know how to find the headers, ask us in the forum. Please tell us if you are using Comcast Xfinity Connect (web mail) or an email client. If you use a client we need to know which one you use.
  • If you use Xfinity Connect (web based) for email access, legitimate mail from Comcast will have the Xfinity logo next to mail sent from Comcast.
  • Lastly, every email with the Xfinity icon will have the full "Xfinity Learn More" logo in the upper right corner of the email body.

If you believe this is a legitimate phishing email, please follow the steps listed:

1. Copy the email, including headers, and paste it into a new email.
  2. Add the words "phishing email" in the subject so that it can be easily identified by our Customer Security Assurance team.
  3. Send to abuse@comcast.net for further investigation. (DO NOT FORWARD)

**NOTE:** A simple forward will not preserve the headers of the original phish mail. Instead the headers will show YOU as the sender.

You can also find the most common phishing scams listed on this page http://constantguard.comcast.net/alerts

View answer in context
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spam email ~ Apparently From Comcast

Janea,

We apologize that you are experiencing this issue. I can tell you that most likely this is not a valid email from Comcast. The hyperlinks that were included in this message definitely were not created by Comcast.

In the future if you have any concerns about the validity of an email from Comcast or Xfinity, you can get more informaiton on how to tell exactly by reading this post: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Comcast-Email-Phish-or-Legit-How-to-Tell-and-rules-f...

Some of the major things that will let you know if it is legit is:

• Official Comcast mail will never be sent with Xfinity.User or Comcast.User as the sender. THESE MAILS ARE PHISHING ATTEMPTS/SCAMS.
  • They won't include attachments for you to open in order to access your account.
  • Another sign of a phishing attempt is the sender address. If it contains @ with .2 letters it was sent from a domain outside the United States. An example of this is @uc.cl (which is in a post by a customer who received a phishing attempt from someone using that domain) cl is for Chile. Each country has a domain code. A good search engine will help you identify the country. Comcast will not send mail from another country domain.
  • Another thing you can do is look at the headers in the email, which often contain clues that Comcast did not send it. If you don't know how to find the headers, ask us in the forum. Please tell us if you are using Comcast Xfinity Connect (web mail) or an email client. If you use a client we need to know which one you use.
  • If you use Xfinity Connect (web based) for email access, legitimate mail from Comcast will have the Xfinity logo next to mail sent from Comcast.
  • Lastly, every email with the Xfinity icon will have the full "Xfinity Learn More" logo in the upper right corner of the email body.

If you believe this is a legitimate phishing email, please follow the steps listed:

1. Copy the email, including headers, and paste it into a new email.
  2. Add the words "phishing email" in the subject so that it can be easily identified by our Customer Security Assurance team.
  3. Send to abuse@comcast.net for further investigation. (DO NOT FORWARD)

**NOTE:** A simple forward will not preserve the headers of the original phish mail. Instead the headers will show YOU as the sender.

You can also find the most common phishing scams listed on this page http://constantguard.comcast.net/alerts

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Regular Visitor

Checking a request I rec'd

Did you recently send this out.  I was not aware of this.  Just checking to make sure it is legit.  Pls respond.  Joe <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Personal Information">

Dear Customer ,

We recently upgraded our Online security system with a newly established security server which guarantee's your maximum protection when accessing .
your account online. In order to ensure you are properly updated and your account .
Is fully protected, you will be required to Login and Complete necessary forms requested, to login to your account

To get started, please click the link below:

Click Here

All part of our commitment to you

This is a service-related email. Comcast will occasionally send you service-related emails to inform you of service upgrades or new benefits.

Please do not reply to this email, it is not monitored. If you'd like to contact us, please visit our website .

Standard data charges apply to app download and usage. Check with your carrier.

Comcast respects your privacy.

© 2017 Comcast. All rights reserved. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Comcast Cable, One Comcast Center, 1701 JFK Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Attn: eMarketing

Administrator
Administrator

Re: Checking a request I rec'd

@joebenitez,

Please read the information in the post previous to yours in this thread. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon