Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Someone is using my email address to send harassing emails

New Poster

Someone is using my email address to send harassing emails

Over the last several weeks, someone is using MY email address to send out harassing emails to a friend of mine. What can I do and what can be done to stop it. I have changed my Comcast password twice lately. No one has the password but me.

Email Expert

Re: Someone is using my email address to send harassing emails

Most likely what happened is that a spammer has "spoofed" your email address.  They can make emails look like they are coming from you even when they are not.  First thing to check is your Sent folder.  If there are no messages there that you know you didn't send, the account has not been compromised.  You should also run a complete scan of your system with your A/V software to see if it finds anything.  It is is a spoofing incident, there is nothing you can do to stop it.  You just have to wait it out.  Or, you could change your email address, although that's kind of the nuclear option.

It is an inherent weakness in the nature of email that spammers can do this relatively easily.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon