Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Someone else using my email address?

New Poster

Someone else using my email address?

I believe someone else is using my email address. I keep getting emails from "MyChart" services that I owe money, and Edmodo about "your child". I don't have a kid, and I don't ever use my comcast email, so I shouldn't be receiving these emails. The sites these emails are from are legitimate.

I believe that someone else is using my email instead of their own, likely by accident. What can I do?

Email Expert

Re: Someone else using my email address?

It sounds like you're getting spam emails.  Just mark them as spam when they get to the Inbox, to help train the filters.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I have the same issue.  Yesterday I got an email from a congressman from Cailfornia (I am am on the east coast) thanking me for reaching out to him on climate change. The sending email account is @mail.house.gov and it has this other persons full name and address on it.  We share first names which is used in my comcast email address. This happens from time to time over the last 5 years.  He was even using my email for iTunes.  I know its not spam because when I signed into iTunes it had the same address as this recent email and his creditcard info was stored in the iTunes account which I could have had a field day, but I just deleted. 

Comecast told me back then its impossible for more than one person to use the same email.  Apparently not so.  I have changed the password several times over the years and not easy ones either.

I tried forwarding the government email to my email but using comcast.com instead of .net and it came back as undelierable.

I am at a loss!

Contributor

Guess I'm not the only one. I'm getting Paypal statements for some Chef in Chicago, that has my identical first and last name and (apparently) the same email address. He's a real person not a scammer. We would both like to know what the possibilities are.

Email Expert

I've escalated this thread to the forum administrator.  This is not something you can fix yourselves.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Thanks. . . .

Official Employee

Hi all, I will send these to my Customer Security Assurance team for further research, could you please send me a private message with your email that you are receiving emails from other users?

Thank you

You can click on my name (ComcastPhill) and click on “Private Message Me”. 

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope 

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting. 

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Contributor

PM sent.

Regular Visitor

I have had this problem for about three years.  There is a person living several states away with the same name as I, and this person began using my email address on sign up sheets you'd see at businesses and similar kinds of things.  This is not only annoying but seems to me to be a kind of theft - part of my Comcast payment goes for my email and this is my email address.  I have had several conversations with Comcast, the last one rather intense with security people, and the bottom line I was told is this:  it is not illegal for someone to use another person's email address.  Comcast does not consider this a fradulant use of the email they approved for me even though they assured me it was a unique email name.  They will not take any steps to contact the other party (I have located the address, telephone and other info) because it is not illegal and it is not their business.  Basically, it's "too bad" for me.  I am completely dissatisfied with this answer but have not been able to get any assistance  from Comcast -- this seems to be their position.  My email address used by this person has now been sold to several list brokers, and the emails I am getting have increased exponentially.  I feel it is a kind of identity theft, and it certainly has to potential to expand to that if my identity continues to be used.  I don't believe there is a federal law that covers this - I will check next - and any legal action would have to be filed in that person's state.  It is a terrible situation and, as usual, Comcast does not seem to care at all about me, the customer.

Email Expert

After 3 years with no results, I can only suggest that you  change your Comcast email address.  The thing is only worth so much aggravation.  I know this might cause considerable inconvenience to you, but if nothing else is working------------------------

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I have yet to get an answer from Comcast on this subject so I will ask once again. Is it even possible to have the same email address for two different people on the Comcast email system? Please come clean about this. Our personal information could be at risk here if it is being mis-directed.