Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Slow Comcast Email

Regular Visitor

Slow Comcast Email

My Comcast email account has been very slow the last few days.     I can access the email, but when I click on messages to read/delete or to close a window, the response time seems delayed.  I can't just zip through like I am used to doing.  This is something I have encountered at both home and work on different computers.  Therefore, I know it's not my internet connection causing the problem.

I am wondering if Comcast is doing some sort of update that would be causing email slow-downs.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Slow Comcast Email

Which browser/ version are you using?    Did  you clear your browser cache, close the browser, and re-open  in a new session?

Have you tried a different browser to see if the problem is related to the browser?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

I am using internet explorer in both cases.    I have tried clearing the browser and re-open a new tab.  I run into the same issue.  Email screen will come up, but it's slow when trying to double click on message to read it or to delete messages.  There is a delay now that wasn't there before.  My other email application (outlook) works just fine using the same browser.

Contributor

I've been having the same problems for about a week now.  Mail loads quickly but it can take up to SIXTEEN left clicks to open EACH message - it's totally screwed up.  The first time I called them I got someone that obviously didn't have a clue and did not have a solid command of the lanquage. 

Yesterday I eventually ended up talking with a really nice guy in Costa Rica but he couldn't figure out a fix so he is allegedly forwarding the problem to some other "unit" that's supposed to call me - still waitning of course.

Regular Visitor

At least I know it's not just me...    It is very frustrating, and I wonder how many others are having the same issue.

Contributor

Here we are THREE days after they told me it would get fixed.  I have now (as of about an hour ago) set a new world record for the number of clicks it takes to open my e-mail - talk about the definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result)

Contributor

Still screwed up but I'll bet they manage to get my bill to me on time %^&*$#(

Regular Visitor

I downloaded the Google Chrome browser, and that seems to have solved my problem.  For whatever reason, the email is very unresponsive using internet explorer.    

Contributor

It continues to be screwed up as of a few minutes ago.  I have had to do the same (use Google) so it tells me Comcast has made some "change" and decide to let the chips fall where they may - forget customer service - just tell the customer it's something THEY (the customer) needs to fix.

Contributor

Slow everything on comcast, not just the mail. I can go to Yahoo and it's fast so it's not me.

Times I can't get a page just blank. go to any other place and it works like thay claim, FAST. Not my Comcast email.

Another problem is, why does the email time out while I am in the middle of using it. Not even 30 seconds from one click to another and I get a timed out message that tells me to click here to return. I click on it and all I get is a blank page. This has been a problem for while now along with the super slow mail

Contributor

Still ongoing today. Usually I just write it off as typical Comcast. I do what I can and give up.

Who "approved" this solution? Comcast? Ha!

CCCarole wrote:

Which browser/ version are you using?    Did  you clear your browser cache, close the browser, and re-open  in a new session?

Have you tried a different browser to see if the problem is related to the browser?

The original poster never responded to say this was the fix. Yes, pqc said Chrome worked better, but you know, why can't it just work? Why do WE have to change what we're doing just to read our e-mail, when we're paying a lotta dollars a month for this service?

Another step toward cutting the cable...

Regular Visitor

I did note the browser change as a fix.  It is certainly not the ideal fix, but Chrome does seem to solve the issue.

Contributor

Thanks saying so, pqc. I was thinking it was more of their self-congratulatory nonsense.

Glad it got solved, but again the point is, what is it about their servers that works poorly with IE, and why not fix that? If they've posted a recommendation to ONLY go with Chrome, I'll stand corrected. Chrome is great, love Chrome, I just happen to be defaulted to IE on this PC. 

It amounts to an inconvenience to the customer, who is paying for this.

Official Employee

Thank you everyone for reporting this issue. We have been looking into the problems that you are experiencing.

The performance problems are currently isolated to Internet Explorer (IE) so as a *temporary workaround while we figure this out, you can use a different browser or utilize a third party client such as Outlook or Thunderbird.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

- Xfinity Connect Team

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

This thing is STILL screwed up and their "answer" is that, as of about a month ago, you need to use a different browser, clear your cache, etc.  All that and yet when talking to one of many reps, they admitted the problem was actually at THEIR end.

Given calls are recorded to provide the ulitmate in customer  NO service, I'm sure that employee no longer has a job because they spilled their guts. 

Contributor

THANK YOU for taking ownership Comcase emailops - VERY much appreciate that vs. switch your browser and clear you cache, etc. nonsense.  I'm sure you have done more by posting that than you realize.  

Contributor

Same problem for me and now I can barely get an email typed.  The keystrokes don't show-up.  I'm using Internet Explorer 11 with Windows 10.  I will not use IE anymore.  Maybe the real solution is to switch to Vios

Frequent Visitor

I've noticed it seems to be related to ads loading on the right side of the page, at least in my case.  It seems like once the ad is there, you can open and read your e-mail, and then the process starts all over again.  It's like they are demanding that you look at an ad before you can access your mail.  Given how much we already pay for this service, I find this pretty lousy on their part.

Contributor

gabrewer  Interestingly enough, I have noticed the same thing.....hmmmm.  Likewise, I use msn as my homepage and that stupid setup has a fecebook/Twitter link pop up right in the middle of the "news" panel - the crazy part is that it seems to be every other day, not every day!  Oh, and it doesn't "follow" as I scroll down.  Sigh, these first world problems can be so annoying.  LOL

Contributor

gabrewer wrote:

I've noticed it seems to be related to ads loading on the right side of the page, at least in my case.  It seems like once the ad is there, you can open and read your e-mail, and then the process starts all over again.  It's like they are demanding that you look at an ad before you can access your mail.  Given how much we already pay for this service, I find this pretty lousy on their part.

Exactly, thank you. It's one thing when using gmail or Yahoo for free.

Here, we're paying - $200 a month in my case with the added outlets, no premium channels - and still we have ads interfere with the simple act of reading our e-mails. If someone refutes this as the reason, let's hear it. But notice we don't have anyone from Comcr*pst stepping forward to say so. Shameless.

Exactly, thank you. It's one thing when using gmail or Yahoo for free.

Here, we're paying - $200 a month in my case with the added outlets, no premium channels - and still we have ads interfere with the simple act of reading our e-mails. If someone refutes this as the reason, let's hear it. But notice we don't have anyone from Comcr*pst stepping forward to say so. Shameless.

Contributor

Nothing changed. In the middle of a mail and I clicked to read and it sends me to home page to click again to get back where i was? Oh, now I have blank page! it might be worth the penalty to pay the surecharge to change. Earlier this year it was no pucs in your Email now it's NO email. I guess that's a way to do it?

Contributor

"Comcast.net not responding due to a long running script."  Good grief!  They HAVE to know what changes they made over a month ago and all they have to do is reverse them - simple easy.

Frequent Visitor

Sorry for the inconvenience, is that the reply I just read? So, then, that means that to compensate me for MY TROUBLE, TIME, and MONEY, and to make up for being told by "technical support" or whatever name you choose to call it, that I am NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE A TECHNICIAN come to my home to try to resolve this persistent and ongoing issue (yep, you read that sentence correctly-that was on the 2'nd call to support-and I use that word very lightly), that you are going to deduct from my bill because of the hours upon hours upon hours that I have tried to access my email? Sounds like a plan to me. We could WISH! I will be taking this to wherever I have to go to get it resolved. Our cost for crappy product, service, etc is growing in leaps and bounds, YET, we, the CUSTOMERS, continue to be charged for not getting what we're paying for. Is it just me, or does something sound wrong about this whole mess? Comcast, you really need to get on the ball, because another provider is coming down the Pike, and, well, what do you think will happen to your cornering of the market then? And if someone doesn't like the few words with all caps, because it "sounds" like I am yelling, so be it. If I want to yell at someone, I won't do it in this venue.

Contributor

Your not the only one having a problem with snailmail.

been a problem for a month or so. Yeah I hope the new cable company is here soon. Pay the penalty to switch is not a problem anymore.

Have been with Comc??? before it was Comc???, time to look elsewhere.

They said I posted a BAD word?

Contributor

And now I have  a blank page after i deleted a page?

Only way to get it back was to close IE and starting over and sometimes it doesn't work!

Regular Visitor

Was using windows 10 with IE11, switched to Google Chrome and email access is much faster.  Tried this on both a desktop and laptop and saw much better speed.

Contributor

That's great for the ones that are willing to be manipulated, by the ones we pay for the service.

Why don't they just fix it instead of us having to do what they want? It seems to be a problem at the end of the year, when they decide to change something.

Just have to wait a while for RCN, or maybe try WOW.

Don't think it can be any worse.

Contributor

I guess I shouldn't post here. It appears every time I do I get a blank page when I return to my mail!!!??? Gotta be careful what I say/post, since they are watching.

It sure is starnge how that happens that my mail is blank when I come back. No I don't have a virus that is causing it or eveyone else has one too

Very disappointing.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue with very slow comcast email. It seemed to start recently when  comcast changed their browser interface to a newer version. I'm running Windows 7  and Internet Explorer's latest version and haven't changed anything on my end.

Contributor

This continues. 

So I made a point of going to Chrome today, changing my behavior to suit the xfinity instructions, here's what I got:

comcast web mail.jpg

Isolated to IE, huh?

ComcastEmailOps wrote:

Thank you everyone for reporting this issue. We have been looking into the problems that you are experiencing.

The performance problems are currently isolated to Internet Explorer (IE) so as a *temporary workaround while we figure this out, you can use a different browser or utilize a third party client such as Outlook or Thunderbird.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

- Xfinity Connect Team

Eventually I got it to work, after numerous refreshes and back and forward. I'm just trying to check my e-mail, this shouldn't be this hard. Can't you people just make your system work?

Regular Visitor

I find it ridiculous that Comcast is suggesting that you use another email such as Outlook.   If you switch to Outlook email, then why would you need Xfinity email?   Why should a paying Comcast customer go through the inconvenience of setting up another email  account simply because Comcast can't or won't figure out the problem?

Fortunately for me, I am continuing to use Chrome for my browser when checking Comcast email, and that seems to work.  However, I agree with above posters that this problem only surfaced in the last month when Comcast changed something on their end.   

Contributor

Well, to be fair, I think they're suggesting that you use an e-mail client, like Outlook.

If I understand this... please correct me.

That means you have to hook up all the picky settings and hope it works, and then likely encounter different problems. I just haven't spent time to try and figure this out. Not even sure I have Outlook on my machine.

To your point, it's more work for US, so they don't have to make their system work right, when we're paying A LOT for their service.

pqc wrote:

I find it ridiculous that Comcast is suggesting that you use another email such as Outlook.   If you switch to Outlook email, then why would you need Xfinity email?   Why should a paying Comcast customer go through the inconvenience of setting up another email  account simply because Comcast can't or won't figure out the problem?

Fortunately for me, I am continuing to use Chrome for my browser when checking Comcast email, and that seems to work.  However, I agree with above posters that this problem only surfaced in the last month when Comcast changed something on their end.   

Contributor

The problem continues - Google works but WHY is I have to jump through hoops to accomodate THEIR issues.  I actually had a rep call on Saturday - the message was they were calling to see if I was still having problems.  I reurned the called to the "secret number and extension" back withiin 30 minutes and got voicemail - left my contact info.

Yesterday the same person called and advised me that because she hadn't heard back from me she was "closing the ticket."  Really?  You don't listen to your voicemail messages?Called her back and got voicemail again - left my information AGAIN.  My bet is I won't hear from them again.  %*#$&^ 

Contributor

Anybody still having problrms, or am I the only one?

Blank pages, can't delete Email in one try, getting timed out while I am in the middle of an Email response.

When I do try to get back to my Email from Comcast home page I get a blank page. from there I need to close all if any windows open , then open my mail. That is the only way I can get there. All other sites work

fine, no blank pages or time outs due to inactivity.

This has been happening for months now!

Any way around this time outs and blank pages???

Dan

Regular Contributor

I have also been having problems with email. Very slow loading. Server always busy, blank pages, endless waiting for deletes etc. What is going on? Is anyone going to fix this? It has been going on quite a few weeks now. So annoying and time consuming.
Frequent Visitor

Click the ads that come on the right hand side of the email window off. I hope I have explained that properly. See if you don't experience an immediate difference with your issues.

Contributor

Only ad I have on my Email is at the bottom left and I sure don't want to open it as I will get it everywhere. It's for Harry's razor. I made the mistake once and 8 months later it's still around.

Dan

Contributor

So am I the only one with a problem?

I'm in the middle of a email and the stupid program times out. Goes to comcast home page and the only way I can get back is to shut down all open pages and restart them?

I don't have this problem with Yahoo or any other sites, only Comcast Email?

Very disappointing when your trying to communicate with someone.

Any way to stop the time outs? Never had that last year, only this year???????

Dan

Contributor

So now what the frock do I do? Blank page most time can't even get to my mail. If I do it goes blank? Anybody have any idea what to do?

New mail shows but I can't open it if I can even get to my email?

Contributor

So as I have posted that my email is messed up. Why can I get to preferences and make changes but can't see my mail? Lucky I can still get to preferences to forward my mail. Boy that was lucky.

New Poster

I use fire fox and it is slow too especially at 1st and 2 nd download.

RB

Contributor

As before it is so slow. Yahoo loads super fast. Why is camcast soooo sloooow? Have the fastest download speed advertised. than why does it take 60 seconds or more for it to load?

Don't care for the new format at all. Just as they had the old one straightened out, they change it. Oh well a few more months till my contract runs out, raise my bill and away I go.

Dan

New Poster

I am experiencing the same problem. Lately, it is even worst. One of the reply above mentioned that it is isolated to IE and try outlook or thunderbird. Lately, they said they increase the speed of internet is when this happen. They increase the internet speed but slow down the mail server download speed?

I have been using thunderbird and never had issue until around Nov-Dec 2017. Now it is getting worse. I am using the IMAP setting.

This is Xfinity support forum and NO ONE from Xfinity reading it and resolving the issue? At least reply to us a SUGGESTION that works other than we have to use CHROME.

This is very frustrating. Yet they said they are there for the customers.

Contributor

Even this redirect was slow. It takes for ever sometimes just to open the mail page.

The other day I needed a new pass word sent to me but the page timed out before I got the mail. Tried it again but opened Yahoo and it was there before Comcast had it. I don't get it since the Yahoo is a redirect from comcast!

I really don't think it makes a differance what browser you you, it's just slow.

As before I made the mistake of staying with comcast nad now I'm stuck till I move and then I will have to pay a penalty for leaving the contract early!!!