Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Sending email via comcast.smtp.net is very slow

Frequent Visitor

Sending email via comcast.smtp.net is very slow

Starting about two weeks ago (around April 30), sending of emails via an email client and Comcast's SMTP server has become very slow.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

This problem happens on BOTH my PC with Thunderbird AND my iPod.  Furthermore, my Gmail account using Gmail's smtp server sends mail immediately, whether I'm on the PC or iPod.  (Mail sent via Xfinity's webmail also goes quickly.)  The problem is only when I use smtp.comcast.net.

All settings, including ports, are correctly configued.  I've read many forum entries, tried all sorts of solutions (including switching to IMAP), but nothing's worked.  When I talked to Comcast's tech support, they just pointed the finger at Thunderbird; however, the problem is independent of the email client-- because I have the same problem on my iPod.

Ideas?

Service Expert

Re: Sending email via comcast.smtp.net is very slow

rdrk456 wrote:

Starting about two weeks ago (around April 30), sending of emails via an email client and Comcast's SMTP server has become very slow.  Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

This problem happens on BOTH my PC with Thunderbird AND my iPod.  Furthermore, my Gmail account using Gmail's smtp server sends mail immediately, whether I'm on the PC or iPod.  (Mail sent via Xfinity's webmail also goes quickly.)  The problem is only when I use smtp.comcast.net.

All settings, including ports, are correctly configued.  I've read many forum entries, tried all sorts of solutions (including switching to IMAP), but nothing's worked.  When I talked to Comcast's tech support, they just pointed the finger at Thunderbird; however, the problem is independent of the email client-- because I have the same problem on my iPod.

Ideas?

Post your settings, please.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

smtp.comcast.net port 465, normal password, SSL/TLS

pop is port 995, etc.

New Poster

I am having problems with sending messages- it is saying outgoing server issue
With that same server port 465
SMTP.comcast.net@smtp.comcast.net
Do you know how to add a server
Gold Problem Solver

Do you have This server requires Authentication checked?  It should be.  But do not check SPA(Secure password authentication at all)

SMTP should be SSL.

CC

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Gold Problem Solver

Nanigrassi wrote:
I am having problems with sending messages- it is saying outgoing server issue
With that same server port 465
SMTP.comcast.net@smtp.comcast.net
Do you know how to add a server

What is this please in BOLD??

The server for Outgoing (SMTP) is smtp.comcast.net

You should be using Port 465 with SSL ON and should have this server requires authentication checked.

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Frequent Visitor

As I posted before, my settings on both my PC (Win7, Thunderbird) and iPod (iOS 5, Apple Mail) are:

smtp.comcast.net port 465, normal password (i.e., authentication ON), SSL/TLS.

Nothing changed on my end.  The slow sending through smtp.comcast.net just started around the end of April / beginning of May.  Sending mail through smtp.gmail.com (with the SAME settings) is instantaneous.

Regular Visitor

I, too, have been having very slow e-mail sending problems.  I am running Windows7, use Thunderbird, both are up to date, regularly maintain computer software, etc. 

A short message outbound takes 20 to 30 second to connect to the SMTP Comcast server, then takes another 10 to 15 seconds to begin sending outbound mail and then takes another 10 to send the mail.  This has been plaguing me for weeks. 

Note that Thunderbird does not have a means to check authentication other than Normal Password and others which I am not using but relate to secure password use.  Outgoing server is SMTP.comcast.net; port is 465; my user name correctly spelled; authentication is 'normal password'; and connection security is SSL/TLS.

Thanks for any help.

Contributor

Coming back from a short trip over the 4th.. restarted system and found that it now takes 10 seconds (or more depending on length of message) to send an email. No changes were made(no updates or password changes) it just worked on one date and then extremely slow 4 days later. Comcast points at my system - and Ive tried everything I can think of.

IF I don't use thunderbird and go directly to Comcast email.. then there's no problem. So somehow the way comcast /thunderbird interface for sending emails has changed.

Gold Problem Solver

Have you cleared your browser cache? If not, please do that.

Regular Visitor

What level of service are you using?  For a long time I had excellent outgoing and incoming mail service but then, a while back the service got very slow, particularly on the outgoing end.  Comcast had slowed service from what I had been getting to a lower value still within the bounds of what I had subscribed to.  An increase in service speed at a cost of $ suddenly resolved the problem. 

Contributor

My email client is (and has been) Thunderbird..I'm using win7 pro, IE11.. just as I was before all this (absolutely no configuration changes at my end)

I've cleared my browser cache, rebooted both the Netgear router, the comcast modem, tried different DNS servers, run a complete virus scan, and rechecked all the Thunderbird settings.. and today it seems even a bit slower.. I think 10 to 20 seconds is a bit much for simple emails with no attachments. I measured my speeds (with the comcast utility) and got 25Mbps download, 5 Mbps upload

Just an observation... this email issue began around the same time that I became unable to edit my Personal Web Page (via PWP)... one might think that comcast has mucked around with my "account settings " (that issue got quietly fixed) ...

I think the next poster on this subject may be on to something "comcast would suddenly get beter if I upgraded my service"

..and this after a 15% increase in my monthly rate.. what is REALLY needed is an alternative to Comcast on Cape Cod...

Contributor

Actually, by spending way too much time on this issue, I think I've found that the issue isn't the SMTP server being slow in sending.. it's the process by which Thunderbird logs in to the server that has slowed down...

no changes in settings, passwords or user names... just takes up to almost 10 seconds just to log in to send the message..

puts the issue squarely on Comcast's end

Official Employee

randymoore1 wrote:

Actually, by spending way too much time on this issue, I think I've found that the issue isn't the SMTP server being slow in sending.. it's the process by which Thunderbird logs in to the server that has slowed down...

no changes in settings, passwords or user names... just takes up to almost 10 seconds just to log in to send the message..

puts the issue squarely on Comcast's end

This looks like a DNS issue, looking into it now.

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Regular Visitor

There is some good info in this forum but how do I list the messages in chronological order?   I am viewing with Firefox current edition using Win7 operating system.  Normal mail client is Thunderbird. 

Many thanks.

George

Frequent Visitor

That's correct, RandyMoore.  I have had the same problem since the end of April with both Thunderbird AND my iPod.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much for looking into this CC_AA!!  I hope you're able to find the solution.

Contributor

ComcastDaveL -

by the way (and I'm not certain I did it right) - my search indicated that the DNS server I was being "pointed to" was in CA.. not the ones in MA..

Massachusetts

Primary DNS: 68.87.71.226

Secondary DNS: 68.87.73.242

Primary IPv6 DNS: 2001:558:1000:E:68:87:71:226

Secondary IPv6 DNS: 2001:558:1010:8:68:87:73:242

Official Employee

randymoore1 wrote:

ComcastDaveL -

by the way (and I'm not certain I did it right) - my search indicated that the DNS server I was being "pointed to" was in CA.. not the ones in MA..

Massachusetts

Primary DNS: 68.87.71.226

Secondary DNS: 68.87.73.242

Primary IPv6 DNS: 2001:558:1000:E:68:87:71:226

Secondary IPv6 DNS: 2001:558:1010:8:68:87:73:242

It wasn't that - your IP didn't have reverse DNS setup, which it should have.  I wanted to get that resolved first, to make sure it's not a factor.

Are you still seeing slowness?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

rdrk456 wrote:

Thank you so much for looking into this CC_AA!!  I hope you're able to find the solution.

rdrk456 - is it always slow?  If it's not always slow, can you tell me what IP you're coming from when it's slow, vs not slow?

You can use this to determine your public IP:

http://whatismyv6.com

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, sending mail from both my laptop and iPod via my Comcast account is always slow; it's been consistently slow since the problem started at the end of April.  As I mentioned before, sending via my Gmail accounts is instantaneous.

Contributor

OK, the "problem" still exists... so this morning I tried a variety of things:

I disabled all my security software to eliminate any possible email scanning... no change in send times.. still 15 sec

Using task manager I reviewed all running programs and processes to see if there were any that might effect Thunderbird... NO

I started changing the account settings for the SMTP server...

..............using starttls security setting... no change (interesting that the email still got sent)

..............using no connection security.. and password no change -email got sent though

............  using no security, no authentication.. email wouldn't "go"...

I  tried changing the port from 465...to 587.. email wouldn't go

I tried to set up an event log to capture the login sequence to the SMTP, but the NSPR commands aren't recognised in the Win7 cmd line..

any body have any other things to try ?? 

Frequent Visitor

A miracle happened this morning!  I sent an email and it zipped right on out of here, no waiting, just like magic.  It was as if whatever switch caused the problem back in April was flipped back on.  Which is apparently what happened.

CC_AA either figured it out or sent this issue to the right people within Comcast.  According to George at Customer Service, the problem was with the Comcast server's connection to my account.  An upgrade was performed, and problem was finally solved.  I even received a call from a Customer Service rep about the issue.  If only we could have gotten to this point last April, when Customer Service decided the issue was with my installation of Thunderbird and I had to invest a thousand hours trying to solve the problem.

Thank you, CC_AA!!  This has been an annoyance for months and I'm thrilled to have the situation resolved. 

Contributor

Whatever fixed your problem doesn't seem to have effected mine.. still waiting

...what're you using for SMTP settings ?? (port & security) - are you using a wireless router?

Frequent Visitor

SMTP settings are as above (5/18/14) and I'm using both wifi and ethernet, but all that's irrelevant.  Customer Support said the issue was with their server settings for my account and that they had to do some sort of upgrade to fix it.  He wasn't more specific than that.  The problem was with Comcast's server and not with any of my settings.

Contributor

emailing with Netgear support, they are asking if the Comcast modem is providing a "double NAT".. that might give the symptoms we are seeing ..

7/22/2014... while waiting for comcast to review and respond to the "Wireshark" log file they asked me to run, I recabled taking the router out and went direct to the Comcast Arris TM502g modem... no change in performance..then, on suggestions from Mozilla, I  deleted several files in Thunderbird which in the past have caused issues when corrupted..and no change..

so, for the present I'm back to my"proper" port and security settings

I also reviewed other comcast forum postings dealing with this symptom.. all were "fixed" when Comcast revised server /account settings. 

Contributor

and the troubleshooting saga continues.. (windows 7 pro)

started windows in "safe mode".. no changes in send times...

I've upgraded to Thunderbird 31.0... no change

My wife's computer (windows 7 home premium, service pack 1) running thru my router, has the same issue

I've run Wireshark (at comcast's request) and created a data file (that I can't make much of).. be happy to send it to anyone that might find it useful

Official Employee

randymoore1 wrote:

and the troubleshooting saga continues.. (windows 7 pro)

started windows in "safe mode".. no changes in send times...

I've upgraded to Thunderbird 31.0... no change

My wife's computer (windows 7 home premium, service pack 1) running thru my router, has the same issue

I've run Wireshark (at comcast's request) and created a data file (that I can't make much of).. be happy to send it to anyone that might find it useful

randymoore1:

I believe this is now resolved.  Can you please confirm?

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

My friend, you have done it again..!

It now works the way it should.

Official Employee

randymoore1 wrote:

My friend, you have done it again..!

It now works the way it should.

Glad to hear it's all good now Smiley Happy

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

After two months of working just fine, the "problem" is appearing again (as of 9/16)

First I got an error message saying Thunderbird could not connect with the SMTP server..then after restarting TBird, emails got sent but slowly... whatever ComcastDaveL did last time needs to be re-done!!

Frequent Visitor

What the heck, Comcast?  My outgoing email just started running slowly again, same as Randymoore1! 

New Poster

We've just started noticing very slow sending of email too!.   What was the fix for this?

Contributor

No one ever said what the "fix" was - it was all on Comcast's end... the tech that finally got it straighened out was CC_AA (ComcastDaveL)...

Frequent Visitor

That's right.  I was told by Comcast tech support they had to do "an upgrade" which was specific to my area-- no more details were offered.

Regular Visitor

I've been having the same problem for the last couple of weeks. 

Official Employee

Mommynator wrote:

I've been having the same problem for the last couple of weeks. 

Mommynator - is this when you're sending via your laptop/computer, or via a mobile device?

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

rdrk456 wrote:

What the heck, Comcast?  My outgoing email just started running slowly again, same as Randymoore1! 

rdrk456 -

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

KMEEK wrote:

We've just started noticing very slow sending of email too!.   What was the fix for this?

KMEEK-

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

It's from my desktop computer.  My settings are the ones given in the email client setup instructions on your help page.

Official Employee

Mommynator wrote:

It's from my desktop computer.  My settings are the ones given in the email client setup instructions on your help page.

Mommynator-

I'm sending you a private forum message

Private Messages (PM's)

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as `PM's'. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Hi, ComcastDave─

Thank you for following up.  The 9/18 slowness was resolved within a few days and outbound mail is running faster.  However, there have been occasional SMTP failure errors on outbound mail; it usually goes through OK on the second try.  This is intermittent and not nearly the trouble as the slow outgoing mail.

Thanks again for your help.

New Poster

Yes -- I still am experiencing slow sending.  

What happens most times is it hangs trying to connect. My workaround is to click cancel while it is waiting to connect,  and then re-try the send and it connects and sends quickly.

But why the delay the 1st time trying to send??

Sending with Thunderbird 

smtp.comcast.net

Port: 465

SSL/TLS

Normal Password

Kevin

Contributor

Have been having the same slowness problems in Northern Indiana for about 2 weeks now.

Thunderbird

smtp.comcast.net

port 587

STATTLS

Normal Password

No problems before, but now about 15 seconds to login, then 15 seconds or so to send.

No improvement if I restart Thunderbird or if I restart the computer (Ubuntu 12.04).

If there is a way to enter a trouble ticket, I will do so, but have not seen a way.

:- Doug.

Official Employee

dgermann wrote:

Have been having the same slowness problems in Northern Indiana for about 2 weeks now.

Thunderbird

smtp.comcast.net

port 587

STATTLS

Normal Password

No problems before, but now about 15 seconds to login, then 15 seconds or so to send.

No improvement if I restart Thunderbird or if I restart the computer (Ubuntu 12.04).

If there is a way to enter a trouble ticket, I will do so, but have not seen a way.

dgermann - 

This should be fixed now, can you confirm?

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Dave--

It seems to be fixed now! What did you do?

Thanks very much!

PS: did not get an email when you replied, but I see that is checked. FYI.

New Poster

I have the same problem. Using Thunderbird and mail is very slow to send. If I hit cancel and send again. it usually goes immediately. Was there ever a fix found?

Official Employee

ChanceG wrote:

I have the same problem. Using Thunderbird and mail is very slow to send. If I hit cancel and send again. it usually goes immediately. Was there ever a fix found?

Can you tell me IP you have?  This site will tell you:

http://www.whatismyip.com   

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Slow SMTP here now too, SF Bay Area, happening a week or two?

Regular Contributor

djdayson wrote:

Slow SMTP here now too, SF Bay Area, happening a week or two?

Same here (same area too).  In our case, nearly all attempts to send emails fail to do so.