New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Secondary Email Addresses and IMAP

ANSWERED
New Poster

Secondary Email Addresses and IMAP

Can you convert a secondary email account from POP3 to IMAP without impacting the primary and other secondary email accounts?

Accepted Solution

Re: Secondary Email Addresses and IMAP

You don't "convert" the account.  You simply re-create it using the same password and user ID with the IMAP settings.  You can keep both if you like since they are separate.  Most people delete the POP3 version though to avoid confusion.  The settings for both are here---------------------

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

And no, setting up the secondary account to use IMAP will have no effect on the primary account.

View answer in context
Email Expert

You don't "convert" the account.  You simply re-create it using the same password and user ID with the IMAP settings.  You can keep both if you like since they are separate.  Most people delete the POP3 version though to avoid confusion.  The settings for both are here---------------------

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

And no, setting up the secondary account to use IMAP will have no effect on the primary account.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thanks, Latoque, for the quick response.  What's happens to old POP3 account if I choose not to delete it?  Is it automatically deactivated in place of the new IMAP account?  For example, if the POP3 account was 12345@comcast.net and new IMAP account is also 12345@comcast.net, will future email activity to that address be handled under the IMAP account automatically?

Email Expert

They are two different versions of the same account.  You can run them in parallel if you like.  One does not have any effect on the other.  So if you want to keep the POP3 version in service by all means go ahead.  As long as you understand the difference between IMAP and POP3------Your call.  I did that briefly when I first signed up for the IMAP beta in Comcast, but soon deleted the POP3 account to avoid confusion, especially when you have the account set up on more than one device/computer.

Go ahead and run them both for a while and you will see what I mean, just to satisfy your own curiosity.  It won't hurt anything.  POP3 is fine if you only access your email from one device/computer all the time.  IMAP is intended to give you multi-device, synchronized behavior.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon