Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Saving Sent Mail in POP to IMAP migration

Frequent Visitor

Saving Sent Mail in POP to IMAP migration

I am considering switching my email account from POP to IMAP on my phone (GS4) but I'm concerned that I will lose all my Sent emal (the ones stored only on the phone) in the process.  Does anyone know if this is the case, and what I can do to avoid losing the email?

Thanks

Frequent Visitor

Re: Saving Sent Mail in POP to IMAP migration

Anyone, please.  Someone else must have been in this same situation.  I'll even accept a "no, it can't be done", but will anyone please chime in?

Thanks

Email Expert

No you shouldn't lose anything.  Do this---------go ahead and recreate the same account using IMAP.  If all goes well, all your default and local folders should appear in the new account.  You don't have to delete the POP3 account first.  They can actually run in parallel.  Once you are satisfied that the IMAP account is good, you can then go ahead and delete the POP3 one.  You don't "convert" a POP account to IMAP.  They are separate accounts with the same user ID and password.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.

So you're saying that when both account types are running (POP & IMAP) simultaneously, they will share the same file locations on the phone?

Frequent Visitor

I just tried setting up an IMAP account on my phone while the old POP account still exists and it won't let me.  I'm told "Duplicate account, Account ...@... already in use".  I tried to trick it into allowing me to create the account by temporarily changing the email address, but then it doesn't get past the authentication stage. I don't really see how to add an account to the phone unless I allow it to authenticate the credentials on the server.

Email Expert

When I had both account versions running, it was in Mozilla Thunderbird on a desktop.  I haven't tried it on my iPhone, and i'm not familiar at all with Android models.  Maybe someone else can jump in here who has one.  I know that now in iOS if you set up a Comcast account, it will auto-detect it as IMAP.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon