New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

SPAM filter won't stay enabled!

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

SPAM filter won't stay enabled!

As reported in another post, there has been a problem with SPAM e-mails recently.

Upon checking the status of my SPAM filter on the my.xfinity.com E-Mail Web Page, I noticed that it had been turned off!

Any attempt made to re-enable it results in a "problem saving...." message, and the SPAM filter remains disabled.

Has anyone else having this problem?

Accepted Solution

Re: SPAM filter won't stay enabled!

Checked this morning, and I can now enable SPAM filtering -- my thanks to the Support Team for resolving this.

View answer in context
Gold Problem Solver

Post the entire error message you are getting.

Which browser/ versiinZ?

Have you cleared your browser cache?

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Contributor

The error is as follows:

Browser is Safari 9.0.3  Mac OS X 10.10.5  yes, cleared browser cache, and no - I'm not using XfinityConnect, just the web-based e-mail from the Xfinity Web Site.

I try to enable SPAM filtering, but when I place a check in  the 'enable' box, an error message simply states:

"Problem in Saving"

When I reopen the preferences, the SPAM Filter is no longer enabled.

Spam Filter Error.png
Email Expert

As a test, try using Firefox or Chrome.  I'm on an iMac and I'm not experiencing what you describe.  But I use Chrome most of the time.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response.

It appears that there is another active thread in this forum of others who are also experiencing this problem (ref:  "Cannot enable Spam Filter").  All other e-mail preferences seem to work normally, just the Spam Filter.  

I had previously enabled this filter, and routinely found messages with ridiculous urls moved to my Spam folder. Recently, however, I've noticed an influx of Spam making to my inbox.  

That is when I checked the status of the Spam filter and found it disabled.  Since then, I've not been able to get it enabled again.

Regular Contributor

I've tried to enable the Spam Filter using two different computers and three different browsers, but the result is the same.  All other preferences can be accessed and edited normally except the Spam Filter.

I've even tried using TenFourFox on my G4 Quicksilver 2002 desktop, and the result is still the same.

I keep getting the message "Problem in saving..."  and when I exit and return, the Spam Filter hasn't been enabled.

Since there are other threads / users in this forum reporting the same problem, and since it seems to not matter which browser or computer I use, could it have something to do with a local COMCAST server?

Regular Contributor

Latoque,

Quick question -- are your browsers setup to accept third party cookies?  I'm grasping at straws here trying to get my Spam Filter to stay enabled.

I've got preferences set in all my browsers to only accept cookies from the sites that I visit, not 3rd party.

Since this problem seems to affect some users, and not others, I'm trying to understand what might be common among my computers / browsers short of a problem with my local COMCAST e-mail server.

Email Expert

OK I just did a test with Safari, and I still can't duplicate what you are seeing for the Spam filter.  Works just fine.  I'm on an iMac, running Yosemite and Safari v9.0.3.  The version of Chrome is 47.0.2526.111 (64-bit)  Here are what the cookie settings look like for me right now, first in Safari, and then Chrome----------------------------

Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 12.34.02 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-02-06 at 12.35.21 PM.jpg

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Yep,

Those are the same settings that I use on my Macs and PCs...  I've been experimenting with various settings, I've deleted caches, cookies, website data, enabled/disabled javascript, etc., etc., but still no joy!

I've been able to change every other preference in the E-mail setting, Voice setting etc., etc.

It's just the Spam Filter that will not save!  Reading the other threads in the forums, I see that there are other users who are also experiencing this same problem - I'm trying to find out if we share the same COMCAST regional servers.

This one has me baffled!

This machine is my iMac, also running Yosemite, Safari 9.0.3 with exactly the same browser settings that you displayed.  Since this problem is occurring on my other machines, using several browsers I'm thinking that it has to be something at the server end.

Email Expert

OK I'm going to escalate this to the forum administrator level to see if we can get some traction on this.  Based on our conversation so far I don't think it's anything to do with the browsers or operating systems.  Maybe they can look at your account and see what's going on.  It could well be a regional/server issue.  I don't know where you are--------I'm in Florida.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Same problem here... won't stay enabled.

But despite mine being enabled in the past... it has NEVER worked. One reason I keep comcast email unused is because the spam filter has been a disaster since I started using comcast.

I regularly get 10-20 spams a day and none on my six accounts from other providers.

Official Employee

Hi Anon465377, I will send you a private message to further assist and escalate accordingly.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Regular Contributor

Just checking in -- I still get the "problem in saving..." error when I try to enable the SPAM filter on the Xfinity e-mail web page.

Any news on a fix?

Thanks in advance!

Regular Contributor

Checked this morning, and I can now enable SPAM filtering -- my thanks to the Support Team for resolving this.

Official Employee

That is great to hear Anon465377, please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will gladly assist.

Thank you

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.