Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

SPAM: How to set-up e-mail filter to block an entire domain from e-mailing me?

ANSWERED
New Poster

SPAM: How to set-up e-mail filter to block an entire domain from e-mailing me?

I utilize comcast e-mail via my Android smartphone and tablet devices. I utilize SMTP.  I have been getting hammered by SPAM that seems to originate from New Zealand (top level country code domain = .tk). On my devices I utilize the stock email client.  When receiving a SPAM e-mail, the client has a 'Register As Spam' option. I tried the 'Block the Sender' and 'Block the Domain' options, I am still receiving SPAM from .tk domain.  I went to the Comcast webmail site and I made sure that Spam Filtering is turned-on. I noticed Comcast has an e-mail filter option but I am not sure how to block a domain. Do I add a wildcard such as *.tk in the 'Contains' section? Your help is appreciated. Thanks

Accepted Solution

Re: SPAM: How to set-up e-mail filter to block an entire domain from e-mailing me?

CoolHandKen wrote:

I noticed Comcast has an e-mail filter option but I am not sure how to block a domain. Do I add a wildcard such as *.tk in the 'Contains' section?

That'll try to match on a literal "*". If you want to use wildcards you select "matches wildcard" rather than "contains". Then you would use "*.tk*", which is functionally identical to "contains" ".tk". Wildcards are poorly documented, what I said about them might be wrong. So, use "contains", but lose the "*". In any case filters can be tricky, so I'd create a new webmail folder and have the filter action be to move matches to that new folder to make sure the filter is working the way you want it to.

View answer in context
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: SPAM: How to set-up e-mail filter to block an entire domain from e-mailing me?

CoolHandKen wrote:

I noticed Comcast has an e-mail filter option but I am not sure how to block a domain. Do I add a wildcard such as *.tk in the 'Contains' section?

That'll try to match on a literal "*". If you want to use wildcards you select "matches wildcard" rather than "contains". Then you would use "*.tk*", which is functionally identical to "contains" ".tk". Wildcards are poorly documented, what I said about them might be wrong. So, use "contains", but lose the "*". In any case filters can be tricky, so I'd create a new webmail folder and have the filter action be to move matches to that new folder to make sure the filter is working the way you want it to.

New Poster

@steve-baker: Thank You, that seemed to do the trick.