Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

SOLVED: Receiving Someone Else's Email (Not a BCC: issue)

ANSWERED
New Poster

SOLVED: Receiving Someone Else's Email (Not a BCC: issue)

This has since been resolved -- see below.

Hello,

Not that long ago I signed up for Comcast, and got an email address (for privacy reasons I will not share it here).  I noticed that I was receiving emails meant for someone else, who had a somewhat similar Comcast email address.  I didn't think much of it, but today I decided to investigate... and before anyone says it, no, this has nothing to do with BCC:.  Scroll down to the bottom for the short version, but I wanted to include as much information as possible to help anticipate any troubleshooting steps.

Let's just call my email address "MYEMAIL@comcast.net" and the other person's "NOTMYEMAIL@comcast.net", which are both pretty similar, like the real email addresses.  If I look in my Xfinity settings, I have one email account:  MYEMAIL@comcast.net.  However, I receive emails sent to both MYEMAIL@comcast.net (obviously) and NOTMYEMAIL@comcast.net, though I can only send email from MYEMAIL@comcast.net, and responses sent to those emails are shown as being sent to MYEMAIL@comcast.net.

If I send an email to NOTMYEMAIL@comcast.net (which I did, from an alternate address), it appears in my inbox, even though that is not my email address, though if I respond to that email, it does show as being sent from MYEMAIL@comcast.net.  This confirms that emails sent directly to NOTMYEMAIL@comcast.net are being directed to the inbox for MYEMAIL@comcast.net, i.e. my inbox.

This is insane.  I am able to access someone else's private information -- due to this I have complete access to a total stranger's Facebook account, and who knows what else.  I have tried emailing this person, but, surprise, the email shows up in my inbox!  Why is this happening, and what can be done to stop it immediately?

TL;DR: All email sent to a Comcast address similar to mine arrives in my inbox (confirmed through testing). All other email functions appear to be normal.  Please assist, this is a violation of another person's privacy.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Vi

Edit: Changed subject to reflect that the issue has been resolved.

Accepted Solution

Re: Receiving Email from Incorrect Address (Not a BCC: issue)

Can you send me a private message with the other persons email address? After doing a review from my end I was unable to find any issues, there is a chance that the other person might have set email forwarding incorrectly but want to double check this on our end. -FC 

View answer in context
Email Expert

Re: Receiving Someone Else's Email (Not a BCC: issue)

This is not something you can fix yourself, so I have escalated it to the forum Administrator level to see if you can get it resolved.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Administrator
Administrator

Can you send me a private message with the other persons email address? After doing a review from my end I was unable to find any issues, there is a chance that the other person might have set email forwarding incorrectly but want to double check this on our end. -FC 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Thank you so much for replying, and my apologies for the delay.  I was so frustrated with this that I haven't even thought to touch my Comcast account in weeks.

ComcastFrancisc, I have sent you a private message with the information you requested.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can do, and I thank you for your help.

New Poster

ComcastFrancisc was able to resolve this for me (thank you again!) -- it turns out that the other user had incorrectly set up email forwarding to go to my account.  Now that it has been disabled, my inbox is actually manageable -- and my own.  Hope this may help someone else!