Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Retrieving deleted emails

Regular Visitor

Retrieving deleted emails

My wife had the last twelve months of emails in the inbox highlighted when she accidentally hit delete.  they are now gone they did not go to the trash they are just gone.

Any chance of getting them back?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Retrieving deleted emails

Hello,

How are you reading your e-mails xfinity or an e-mail client?   

With a email client have you setup the option to keep a copy  a copy on the server or are messages on the Comcast server deleted as you download them from there?

If the e-mails are completely gone using your email client or webmail/xfinity you can try calling 1-800-COMCAST or 1-800 xfinity to see if they can restore your e-mails.

Regular Contributor

Pretty much regardless of what tool you're using to read e-mails, there is a "Trash" folder.

If you're using Xfinity Connect, YOU MUST GO THERE IMMEDIATELY as the default purge is 1 day [who dreamed up the defaults???].

If you are using any other client (Thunderbird, Outluck, Apple Mail) for reading e-mail, simply go to the trash folder and retrieve your messages (assuming you didn't set said client to empty the trash on exit).

New Poster

I deleted all my emails from trash so how do I retrieve deleted emails from April/May of this year.

Tha ks

New Poster

I'm using xfinity

New Poster

I think I will call comcast, it might be to late.

Thanks for your replies.

Gold Problem Solver

If you emptied the Trash Folder, the email is gone.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

I usually delete e-mails as soon as i read them.

I deleted one today in error.

Can I retrieve it?

Regular Contributor

Read the post directly above your's and the answer should be clear.

If you've emptied the trash (or it is set to auto-empty), it is gone for good.

If you find it in the trash, you're in luck.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Your post was moved. To a secure area because you posted personal information in the public forums. (Email address) Start a new message with your problem, but do not include any personal information.

Contributor

I know that this sounds weird, but when I converted my email account from POP to IMAP, every single email that I had ever sent or received since going back to Comcast downloaded. I wish that I could make it do that now, even though it was a major pain back then.

Regular Visitor

maxicat1960 wrote:

I know that this sounds weird, but when I converted my email account from POP to IMAP, every single email that I had ever sent or received since going back to Comcast downloaded. I wish that I could make it do that now, even though it was a major pain back then.

Are you sure you aren't confusing your local e-mail client with your Comcast mailbox?

I doubt that the transition resurrected any old e-mails.  Instead, I imagine your e-mail client of choice (Outluck, Mail, gmail, Thunderbird) is treating previously downloaded (but not deleted from the POP3 server) messages as new.

Do you regularly use the Xfinity webmail client?

Contributor

No, I am not confusing it. I did not use any of the above.  I DO use the Xfinity webmail client, and was getting emails from 2008....

Regular Visitor

maxicat1960 wrote:

No, I am not confusing it. I did not use any of the above.  I DO use the Xfinity webmail client, and was getting emails from 2008....

Hmmph.  I guess the take-away is never be surprised by Comcast's mishandling of e-mail.

It seems like the undocumented policy change where they set a quick expiry on mail in certain folders would have surely purged all deleted e-mails.