Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Recvery Options Page

New Poster

Recvery Options Page

Did a Windows update.  I now don't get email and have a page that came up from Xfinity it is "Recovery options"

it says "This one-time request helps us protect your account. Please provide at least two recovery options before proceeding."  It then has a place to put in an email address.  I put mine in and it says it can't use a comcast email (thats all I have).  Then it asks for a moble phone, I put mine in then it asks for a verification code, I have no Idea what a verification code is or what mine is.  Meanwhile - no email.  HELP

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Recvery Options Page

I have never seen this so am escalating it for you.

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Regular Visitor

I too have received the same message and comment about the camcast.net address.  I did not put in a mobile number and the secret question they printed out was the same as a security question that I have

for one of my fund accounts,  Somehow or other, during the last two weeks, the e-mail folder "funds" disappeared along with my "saved" folder.  So now I'm unable to retrieve the e-mails that were in those folders.  To my knowledge, I did not manually delete the folders.  Comcast is unable to help me..!

New Poster

Update your password recovery options

Every day I get an automatic message from Xfinity that is titled "Update your password recovery options."  I am to fill in two out of three blanks.  The first one is an email address.  I type in my Comcast email address, and it says it does not accept Comcast email addresses.  The only email addresses I have are Comcast, so what in the world does this mean?!  The second option to to type in my mobile phone number.  I don't own a cell phone, so I can't fill that in.  The third option is favorite beverage - that one is ok.  So, Comcast, how an I supposed to fill our your password recovery options form if I can't fill in two of the options?

New Poster

This is my problem too.  I am constantly being asked to proceed through the "recovery" process: why?  What is the purpose?  How do I respond when the system won't accept my comcast email address and I have only telephone land line (Comcast, too).  How do I stop the demands or find a way to enter the system if I should not do so?

Admin1

Hello All,

This process is in place for security purposes. It requires that you select two recovery options either by entering a non-Comcast.net email address, mobile #, or secret security question. 

You must select at least two of these options before you're able to proceed. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Gold Problem Solver

I just got this for the first time myself on my desktop PC using Internet Explorer.  It does NOT come up when using Firefox browser.

My questions are:

WHERE is there any information posted about this security recovery thing?  I cannot find a thing about it!

Why am I compelled to give out a non comcast email address or cell phone number to Comcast in the first place?

I really want a clear explanation of the need for this, and the privacy issue I see with it.  YESTERDAY I didn't have a problem using the same username and password I always use for the Forums, and today I get this form?  NOTE:  NO issue when using my iPad or when using the Firefox browser.

CCCarole  E Mail Expert since 2006

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Admin1

This wasn't something that had an announcement to go along with it.  

This was put in place as a security measure to help protect your personal account and email account.

Should your email be hacked, we need a way to securely send you a password recovery. Doesn't do you any good for us to send password information to a hacked account.

If you do have anymore questions concerning this, please contact our Security Assurance team at 1-877-807-6581.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Email Expert

Zach-----------

Will this same notice be sent to people who already have that information in place in the account?  Or is it being directed to those who never listed a 2nd outside email or what?  I do have an account listed for mine, and I've not seen this yet when signing in, using Chrome or Safari on a Mac.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Regular Visitor

I just got off the phone with an Xfinity tech in their security department, because I also have the problem. He said that they want you to be able to be contacted by them if you are hacked and/or someone is using your address as their own. To get around the problem of only having on e-mail address, he recommended establishing another address at Comcast or Outlook, or whoever your e-mail provider might be. (They allow you more than one free.) After you have that second address, the Xfinity message will not require you to provide the cell phone number, as the original security answer listed will suffice, and those red boxes should disappear. I hope this helps.
New Poster

Re: Update your password recovery options

I have the same issue and am getting tired of seeing this page everytime when I have on way to satisify it or get rid of it.

New Poster

I keep getting a message from xfinity about securing my idenity and to give them another email address and a mobile phone number. I don't have another email address or mobile phone so what am I to do. I put in the only email I have and they tell me not to use comcast. So, I am stumped!

Regular Visitor

I've got some good news and some bad news.  In my previous post, I said that the Security Tech from Xfinity said that you only needed either your cell phone number OR a different e-mail address.  What he didn't say was that the e-mail address can't be from the same provider as your primary one.  I have no idea how to get around that, and I don't think anyone at Xfinity thought this over very carefully.  I know some towns where only one provider is the norm.  The tech told me they now know of the problem, and I expect they will address it soon.

I wasn't able to just enter my cell on the page that kept coming up.  After I entered the cell number and I clicked on continue, it kept asking me to enter the code.  I had no idea what code it wanted, so I gave up on that idea. The good news is,  I have fixed the problem on my computer by going into my account and just adding my cell phone number where it asks for a second number, and the message has quit appearing. 

New Poster

I ran into the same thing...one of 5 of my email addresses with associated emails is gone!

New Poster

Your requirement for two options to recovery will not work for me.  While I have a second email address, I have nothing but a landline telephone.

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastZach wrote: ... It requires that you select two recovery options either by entering a non-Comcast.net email address, mobile #, or secret security question. ...
  1. What are customers supposed to do if they don't have a non-Comcast email address or a mobile phone?
  2. WHY DOES THE FORM DISPLAY THE ANSWER TO AN EXISTING SECRET QUESTION?!?!?!?!!!! After they are entered, answers to secret questions are not even available in My Account, as it should be. Those answers should NEVER be displayed.
Frequent Visitor

Seriously??  Why the he** would you require a non comcast email. That is ridiculous.  like the others here I am frustrated at the feckless lack of common sense shown by Comcast. also , like another poster I feel this is just a means by which Comcast plans to spam us or sell our information to others.  I don't want to see this really dumb thing anymore.  I'm tired of it.  T

ComcastZach wrote:

Hello All,

This process is in place for security purposes. It requires that you select two recovery options either by entering a non-Comcast.net email address, mobile #, or secret security question. 

You must select at least two of these options before you're able to proceed. 

here is no reason for me to have a non compcast email address.  Period.

Frequent Visitor

Bull!  just dont be hacked.  You are not getting a non comcast email form me because like many others here -- I do not have one.  What is wrong with you?

Frequent Visitor

Let me get this straight.  If YOU get hacked and lose all of my personal information to, oh say the North Koreans, you want to tell me about it on an email account that I can't give you because it doesn't exist?  Is there anyone there with even a tiny bit of common sense?

Regular Visitor

Instead of just complaining here in this forum that isn't connected to Xfinity at all, call them at thie number - ( please contact our Security Assurance team at 1-877-807-6581), and complain loudly.  I called yesterday and it only took about a minute to connect with a real person.  Just posting here will not get the message to them.

Email Expert

oldrich wrote:

Bull!  just dont be hacked.  You are not getting a non comcast email form me because like many others here -- I do not have one.  What is wrong with you?

I have not been presented yet with this prompt for security verification.  However, I already have an alternate email in place for contacting me in the even my account were to be compromised.  The reason they want a non-Comcast email address is that they won't be able to contact you via your Comcast email address should it become compromised, and be able to send you a link to start the recovery process.  That is the whole point of having an alternate email address.  Using the cell phone number is basically two-factor authentication similar to what is now used by Yahoo, Gmail and others, so they can send you a verification code for the recovery process.  If you don't have a cell phone, then you are supposed to be able to use a security question instead.  If you get to that screen asking for the email and phone number, click on the little question mark to the right and see if it offers you that option.  I can't say for sure since, like I said, I haven't gotten it myself yet.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I think what they want is a recovery email address like " weather@email.com" .  It is a special email recovery address so what I think we have to do is choice a beginning word and than just add "@email.com"  My question before I do it is this a legitt hing from Comcast.

Email Expert

momomj wrote:

I think what they want is a recovery email address like " weather@email.com" .  It is a special email recovery address so what I think we have to do is choice a beginning word and than just add "@email.com"  My question before I do it is this a legitt hing from Comcast.

Yes it's legitimate.  And no, don't use a fake email address.  Even if it takes it, it would defeat the whole process of trying to protect your account.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I too wonder about the "secret question".  My "secret question" is one that I have for security questions on

one of the funds that I keep tract of.  However, when all this stuff started, for me about the beginning of this

year, my e-mail folder "funds" just disappeared along with my "saved" folder.  I had various e-mails in each

folder that I wanted to keep...! 

New Poster

So if you only have Comcast email address and landline (no mobile), shoud you use landline number as contact?

New Poster

Password recovvery options

Your request for Password recovery options will not accept a comcast e-mail. Since this is the only e-mail I happen to possess, how do you expect me to participate?

Contributor

Re: Password recovvery options

I have been following this for a number of days now & I hate to tell you this but Comcast/XFinity is ignoring this question because they have no answer. They tell you do it with your cell phone & if you don't have one of those then toooooo bad we will ignore answering. Sorry this is an example of NO HELP from Comcast/XFinity.

New Poster

Create a Gmail account. Problem solved.

New Poster

Just a heads up guys. I provided a cell number , received a "verification code"- entered in on screen and it showed "verified". The next time I logged in it started the whole process again so- mobile no.does not work either (COMCAST PLEASE WAKE UP!!). SR

Email Expert

Myavorites wrote:

So if you only have Comcast email address and landline (no mobile), shoud you use landline number as contact?

No.  The text message would only work on a cell phone, as far as I know.  Instead you would need to get an alternative email account from some other email provider, and use the security question option.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Comcast has done a POOR job at explaining what to do when the msg appears. Why do users have to post questions, it should all be explained on the screen coincident with the request. Whoever though this up should be looking for a new job. To me it could very well be a hack job that's why I won't reply.

New Poster

The same thing happened to me about the saved folders. The tech support people are useless.

Regular Contributor

I do not have another email, only comcast.  I do not have a mobile.  How do I stop the recovery page from asking for what I do not have.  This is beginning to annoy me, the page keeps coming up each time I try to log onto email.

Email Expert

raptyrred wrote:

I do not have another email, only comcast.  I do not have a mobile.  How do I stop the recovery page from asking for what I do not have.  This is beginning to annoy me, the page keeps coming up each time I try to log onto email.

Read post #6 upthread by Comcast Zach.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon