Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Receiving email messages to my Dead Husband of 7+ years!

Regular Visitor

Receiving email messages to my Dead Husband of 7+ years!

How can I stop getting messages from people and mostly SPAM at that, to my dead husband of more than 7 years.  I'm tired of constantly getting them and frankly the reminder isn't funny.  I'd really like to put an end to this and move on with my life, but it's hard to do with constant reminders like this!  PLEASE HELP!!!

New Poster

Re: Receiving email messages to my Dead Husband of 7+ years!

What email client are you using?

I generally recommend using third party clients such as Thunderbird, Mail or Outlook (Express) as you can often gain more control over your mailbox than you can with the web interface. For instance, you can configure rules to help block those messages.

Some potential solutions:

• Filter any messages containing your husband's name so that they skip your inbox or are either automatically deleted.
  • Create a rule to block the receipt of mail from the senders. This may require more work if you are receiving messages from many senders. However, if it is only a few, this could be a quick fix for your problem.
  • You can also add them to your spam filter by email address or other name.

I haven't used the Comcast webmail client at all for my own purposes, so I'm not sure of how good the Spam tool is at learning what you want to filter, but some webmail tools have fairly intelligent spam tools. If you do want to try to block it with the spam tool in the webmail client, there is a spam button at the top of the messages list that you can click when you highlight one of these messages.

In any case, it may take a few rounds before all of the messages stop, but they will eventually stop reaching you. 

Email Expert

Re: Receiving email messages to my Dead Husband of 7+ years!

pjstory48 wrote:

How can I stop getting messages from people and mostly SPAM at that, to my dead husband of more than 7 years.  I'm tired of constantly getting them and frankly the reminder isn't funny.  I'd really like to put an end to this and move on with my life, but it's hard to do with constant reminders like this!  PLEASE HELP!!!

Did you and your husband each have your own email address, or is there only one with Comcast?  If he had his own, and that is where you are getting the spam, you might consider just deleting the account, or at least changing the user ID so the email address changes too.  I'm assuming you are using only the Comcast webmail and not a client like Outlook or Windows Live Mail?

Post back if you want instructions on how to delete or change the email address in question.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon