Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: deleting emails from phone but not computer

Silver Problem Solver

I have repeatedly tried to use POP3, my e-mail just stops working.

Silver Problem Solver

I could use an answer to that also.

I know it's a POP or IMAP thing. But every time I try changing, my e-mail stops working.

I tried calling Comcast, but they did not understand the question.

Email Expert

barbie123 wrote:

I have repeatedly tried to use POP3, my e-mail just stops working.

What email client are you using, and exactly what happens when you try to use it with your Comcast email account?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Silver Problem Solver

I am using Apple mail. I googled the settings, and every time it stops working when I try switching to POP.

Works fine when I let Apple mail set itself up, but it sets up as IMAP. I know I am in the minority when I want to manage mail on each device.

Email Expert

I am out of state right now so I can't try it again in Mac Mail.  But I have Sierra on my iMac at home and so have the latest version of Mail.  The last time I tried to set up an account using  POP it worked OK.  As a test, have you tried this with another client like Thunderbird?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Silver Problem Solver

I really don't  think it's a client issue, and do not want switch to Thunderbird.

At home I have a laptop and a desktop running Sierra. Also 2 iPhones and an iPad.

At work I have 2 desktops running 10.6 Snow Leopard, for old software reasons, and iPads.

So, deleting mail one one device, and losing it on all devices has become a real problem.

Putting in what I believed to be the right POP settings resulted in mail not working at all. 

I had to go back to IMAP to stay in business, but we hate it. I have yet to see definitive instructions for setting up POP.

Email Expert

barbie123 wrote:

I really don't  think it's a client issue, and do not want switch to Thunderbird.

At home I have a laptop and a desktop running Sierra. Also 2 iPhones and an iPad.

At work I have 2 desktops running 10.6 Snow Leopard, for old software reasons, and iPads.

So, deleting mail one one device, and losing it on all devices has become a real problem.

Putting in what I believed to be the right POP settings resulted in mail not working at all. 

I had to go back to IMAP to stay in business, but we hate it. I have yet to see definitive instructions for setting up POP.

Mac Mail in OS X or SierraOS won't auto-configure POP3.  You need to do that manually.  When you get to the part where it asks you for your password, deliberately type some junk in it------anything but the real password.  When you try to proceed, it will attempt to verify the account.  After several seconds or so it will give up and you will get a dialogue box that will give you the option to choose either IMAP or POP3.  Then put in the settings provided by Comcast.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Silver Problem Solver

That info is new, thanks,

Will give it a try.