Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: The DATA CAP MEGA THREAD....post data cap questions or comments here.

Contributor

Can any Comcast employee advise me on how I can cost effectively upgrade to Windows 10 - apparently with my 3TBs of data on OneDrive - this will cost over $600 x 3 computers or $1800 for my computer, my wifes, and my daughter.  I simply just want to install my Windows 10 update.   Microsoft keeps bugging me that Windows 10 is ready for me...  but I am not sure that Comcast is ready for Windows 10.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odoptions-oddesktop/excessive-data-usage-with-oned...

Service Expert

chriva wrote:

Can any Comcast employee advise me on how I can cost effectively upgrade to Windows 10 - apparently with my 3TBs of data on OneDrive - this will cost over $600 x 3 computers or $1800 for my computer, my wifes, and my daughter.  I simply just want to install my Windows 10 update.   Microsoft keeps bugging me that Windows 10 is ready for me...  but I am not sure that Comcast is ready for Windows 10.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/onedrive/forum/odoptions-oddesktop/excessive-data-usage-with-oned...

Comcast OEs cannot advise on Microsoft O/S's.  If you have an eligible WIn7, WIn8, Win8.1 and signed up for the free upgrade, this notification will appear in the New Notifications in the taskbar when it is available for you to D/L and install.

There have been some glitches with WIn10, mainly drivers not being applied to various hardware, and there is the rather large learning curve for the new EDGE browser in Win10.

Workarounds are available and your older IE will import into WIn10, but you will need to locate it within the program listings.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

That's not my question.  Microsoft provides a default upgrade path and that upgrade path eats a ton of data.  How do I it so that doesn't happen?  Or should I burden Microsoft with these questions - it's not like they are imposing data caps.  Or should I not update to Windows 10 because to do it without using a lot of data will require hours of corresponding with Microsoft and Comcast.  I'd imagine that Microsoft has a vested interest in developing new products that people will use as oppose to fear based on data usage fees.

Problem Solver

chriva wrote:

That's not my question.  Microsoft provides a default upgrade path and that upgrade path eats a ton of data.  How do I it so that doesn't happen?  Or should I burden Microsoft with these questions - it's not like they are imposing data caps.  Or should I not update to Windows 10 because to do it without using a lot of data will require hours of corresponding with Microsoft and Comcast.  I'd imagine that Microsoft has a vested interest in developing new products that people will use as oppose to fear based on data usage fees.

as you've been advised previously,

if you intend on using more bandwidth than your Threshold Limit, compare the rates and charges for Comcast Business Internet, and you'll find its probably more cost effective to change your internet service to Comcast Busines Internet, which includes unlimited monthly bandwidth usage.

Win10 and many other MS updates do not use large enough amounts monthly bandwidth to be concerned with by them selves.  

Yes you should post your concerns about OneDrive & win10 upgrading to the MS forums

Regular Visitor

I encountered a massive data overrun since the cap trial was begun in South Florida.   I saw a month to month increase from approximately 200GB to 600GB and in 6 days consumed all of the 300GB in the following month.  I am an IT proffesional so was able to track down the problem to an old IP attached camera and its supporting software that was apparently connnecting to other cameras outside my home network and streaming data from them.  Once I removed the camera and the associated software my usage returned to a level I would expect.  Still baffled as to how this application was able to get through my firewall and other firewalls but it happened.  I don't dare reconnect the device in fear of spiking my data usage again.

To allow the average user to locate these kinds of issues I believe that Comcast needs to supply a utility contained within their modem software (Cisco/Linksys in my case) that records the data consumed by each attached device.  I don't have an argument with a reasonable data cap as according to Comcast 10% of the customers were consuming 50% of the data.   That said they need to provide user friendly tools to locate network devices that are consuming the most bandwidth.

All you need is for 1 uninformed user on your network to stream several HD movies per day to blow through the data cap.   This is just one example as uploading/downloading a large photo library from sharing site or as other users have pointed out utilizing an online backup/repository system could have the same affect.  Knowing what system and application is comsuming the bandwidth is critical to keeping your data usage in check and avoid unexpected charges.

Tags (2)
Contributor

I don't think providing such a utility would be in Comcast's best interest.  think about it, when situations like yours arise Comcast stands to make a lot of money.  It could take poor Grandma months to figure out that she shouldn't be doing Carbonite backups...

Regular Visitor

It is my believe that if the data cap program goes from trial to reality and people start gettting enourmous bills the angry customer hotline at Comcast is going to be ringing off the hook.  I know that if I got hit with a bill significantly larger than what I signed up for I would start looking for another provider as soon as my contract allowed it.   If it was a large enough amount of money on principle I would cancel my service, pay what I owe and move on.   As all companies spend a majority of their budgets on getting and retaining new customers I doubt Comcast would want to enrage a portion of their high dollar clients.....

Comcast is entitled to protect their quality of service by preventing a small group of customers from consuming massive amounts of bandwidth but with that comes the responsibility to assist customers who accidentally or unknowlingly are placing huge demands on what is a shared network.   I hope someone from Comcast is listening because if not they are in for a barrage of complaints.....

Problem Solver

My understanding is, . . .

There is no surprise to customers, no surprise overage bills.

There is what amounts to a grace period.

Customers are notified and warned about any overage for each of three months of overage, and only charged for overages beginning with a forth month of overages, and going forward from that point.

Regular Visitor

I believe your statement of the grace overages is accurate.   My question would be are the 3 grace periods per year or over the life of your engagement with Comcast?  If its 3 times a year then users could try to plan very large transfer and avoid additonal charges (huge cloud backup's etc).   I think the user who posted earlier who has over 1TB of cloud storage is going to have a very difficult time staying under a 300GB cap.  With a lot of computing services moving to a cloud model (Microsoft will offer W10 as a service, Office 365, Google Docs...) its going to get harder and harder to control the amount of bandwidth a household consumes.

Regards,

Rick

Problem Solver

good idea, but i'd image the 3 month grace is a one time thing.