Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: How do you block a sender?

Frequent Visitor

Is it possible to make a message go to the sender that their email has been blocked? I have a stalker, and I want her to think that she cannot email me...that she is blocked. It appears that all I can do using comcast.net mail service is to send her letters to my spam folder or delete them. I want her to know that I have blocked her. Otherwise, she will think that I still get her messages!

Email Expert

You can effectively block her by setting up a filter to simply delete the message when it hits your account so you don't see it.  But there is no way to generate a "bounce" message in Comcast.  There is kind of a way to do it, but it involves setting up a filter in your Comcast account to forward any messages from her, to another account you might have with a different email provider that supports the use of an "Away" or "Vacation" automated response.  You can then put anything you like in there for the bounce.  Something like "This account is no longer in service" or some such.  Take a look at this for a better idea----------------

http://askleo.com/desperately-seeking-closure/

The article is about someone deleting an email account, but the method would be the same.

Of course you also have the nuclear option--------change the Comcast address she keeps sending to.  But I don't know how much disruption that would cause you.  You might also consider contacting her email provider to let them know she is harassing you.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Actually, the filters don't work! Even the Comcast "help" from three different and very long phone calls was unable to make them work properly. About 80% of the time, clicking on Preferences just takes you to mail or an error page. IF you get lucky and can actually get to the "New Filter" link, and IF you set up a filter to send an incoming email to trash, it still doesn't work. The instructions found in Comcast's website for how to set up a filter never mention the "Run" link by each filter, so who knows what they do? Does the recipient need to go to Filters every day and "Run" them in order for the supposed action (which doesn't happen) to happen? If you click on "Run," all you get is a dropdown of all of your folders. Does anybody even know what you are supposed to do THEN? All in all, the filtering option just plain ISN'T an option, and Comcast technical support is clueless, too. Would love to talk about this with somebody who is able to make it work properly, make the Preferences link actually work more than once in a blue moon, has a clue what "Run" means, and knows whether you have to "Run" the filter every day.

Frequent Visitor

PS

Thanks for the suggestions, though! If the tool worked, I'd have been okay with no bounce...not the best, but I could even forward it back to her (IF the tool worked) to make her think it "bounced." I appreciate your efforts. (Any clue what "Run" is for? When you click on it, do you see a dropdown of folder names? What is one supposed to do with that. Nothing happens when I click "Run.")

Frequent Visitor

Oops...I mean "nothing really happens" when I click Run except that I can click on a folder. When I do that, nothing happens either.

Email Expert

The Comcast filters can indeed be wonky at times.  I've never been able to get "Run" to do anything either.  No you don't have to revisit it every day-----once the filter is set up it should just work. But that would be an ideal world.  I have several filters set up, but maybe once every two weeks or so two of them will just turn themselves off-----I have no idea why.

Since you are having a hard time of it, I will suggest that you consider using a real email client like Windows Live Mail, Outlook (if you have MS Office) Windows Mail (for Windows 8.1), Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail (if you're on a Mac) etc.  There is a long list of advantages to using one, including not having to deal with the Comcast UI if you don't want to.  You can do any filtering with the client, for example.  You also don't have to look at any ads, You can have all your email accounts visible in one place and the list goes on and on.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I had that happen too. Two filters that related to Facebook were already "in there," as I don't remember setting them up myself. Then, when I was trying to add the new filter, they disappeared one day! Poof! Gone!

Don't you wonder why "Run" makes a list of folders appear? And, when they do appear, there is no logical reason to do anything with them anyway? Just plain weird (and lousy).

I've never used a different email client, but I do have MS Office on my Mac. Will I be able to keep my comcast email address when I use it? I will have to figure out how to set it up.

Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Ok...I've set up Outlook. That was easy enough. It doesn't seem to synch with my comcast address book or calendar, though, so unless I take the time to duplicate everything manually, it looks like I'll still be stuck with having to go to Comcast email until I can get everything copied over. Oh, well...

Email Expert

What you do is export your Comcast address book contents to a .csv file and put it someplace easy to find like your desktop.  Then you import it into Outlook.  From the Inbox page in Comcast click on Address Book.  It will look like this---------------

Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.37.51 AM.jpg

Then click on Export All and you should see this-----------------

Screen Shot 2015-04-06 at 8.39.59 AM.jpg

Click on the Export button and save the file where you want it.  Then go into your settings for Outlook and import the file you just saved.  The process is similar if you are using Apple Mail that came with your Mac.  That's what I use.  But to answer your question about the "Run" thing, the idea is to select a folder from the list so that the filter can be run on existing emails as opposed to any coming in afterward.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon