Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Ransomware found in my spam folder in Comcast.net

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Ransomware found in my spam folder in Comcast.net

Whle trying to retreive a email that was put in my spam folder, from a Xfinity tech, I received a pop up window with a recorded voice in English stating Microsoft found a virus on my PC.  It said to call the number at the bottom of the pop up, which like a dummy I did. A middle eastern man who I could hardly understand wanted to gain remote access to my PC and install software to remove said virus. I refused and hung up on him and this pop up had full control of my PC. I could not do anything on my PC. I had to do a hard shutdown, which I hate doing, Waited 30 seconds, turned PC back on and Windows 10 Defender did a automatic offline scan.In the mean time the scammers called me back twice. Now they have my first and last name and number from CID. I have blocked their numbers from calling, but still do not like the idea they have my full name and number. The numbers they used had to bogus Company names showing on my CID! Windows Defender took care of the pop up window and all seems well now. I am very upset that Comcast would have such a insecure email server and above all this email was from a community tech. I have notified Microsoft's security of this issue but made no mention of Comcast. I see no place to contact Comcast. I am trying to get the word out into the community to be on the lookout for this as Microsoft says it is happening more and more everyday! Please do not call the number on the pop up box if you get this. I am in the hopes that Comcast would make their email server more secure!

Accepted Solution

Re: Ransomware found in my spam folder in Comcast.net

A few things I'd like to address:

1. It's really easy for spammers to forge emails to look like they're coming from legitimate sources, like Microsoft, Google....Or Comcast. It's almost certain that the email you refer to was NOT from Comcast.
2. The email was in the Spam folder, which means Comcast's email server already identified it as suspect. The fact that you fell for such an readily identifiable hoax is on you, as you so readily acknowledge when you wrote, "like a dummy". No amount of security in the world will save you from clicking on a questionable link or entering your password on a compromised site.
3. The individuals you called have your number because, let's face it, you fell for such an obvious hoax. You identified yourself as gullible enough to fall for it, so you have now made yourself a target for additional attempts. Best just chalk it up to lessons learned, and practice safe online habits from now on.
4. What you refer to is not "ransomware": that refers to a type of malware that encrypts your personal files and holds them up for ransom, pending on your payment. The recent WannaCry malware is an example.
5. Relax. Don't panic. And certainly don't try and incite panic by posting such inflammatory statements about Comcast's purported incompetence or malfeasance. As I pointed out, Comcast's server did its job and they were most likely not the source of the email. (Why would they send their own emails to Spam anyway?)

Hope this helps. 😁

Also read this:
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Comcast-Email-Phish-or-Legit-How-to-Tell-and-rules-for-posting/td-p/1217517
View answer in context
Valued Contributor

Re: Ransomware found in my spam folder in Comcast.net

A few things I'd like to address:

1. It's really easy for spammers to forge emails to look like they're coming from legitimate sources, like Microsoft, Google....Or Comcast. It's almost certain that the email you refer to was NOT from Comcast.
2. The email was in the Spam folder, which means Comcast's email server already identified it as suspect. The fact that you fell for such an readily identifiable hoax is on you, as you so readily acknowledge when you wrote, "like a dummy". No amount of security in the world will save you from clicking on a questionable link or entering your password on a compromised site.
3. The individuals you called have your number because, let's face it, you fell for such an obvious hoax. You identified yourself as gullible enough to fall for it, so you have now made yourself a target for additional attempts. Best just chalk it up to lessons learned, and practice safe online habits from now on.
4. What you refer to is not "ransomware": that refers to a type of malware that encrypts your personal files and holds them up for ransom, pending on your payment. The recent WannaCry malware is an example.
5. Relax. Don't panic. And certainly don't try and incite panic by posting such inflammatory statements about Comcast's purported incompetence or malfeasance. As I pointed out, Comcast's server did its job and they were most likely not the source of the email. (Why would they send their own emails to Spam anyway?)

Hope this helps. 😁

Also read this:
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Comcast-Email-Phish-or-Legit-How-to-Tell-and-rules-f...
Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation