Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Putting unwanted emails into the SPAM folder

New Poster

Putting unwanted emails into the SPAM folder

For the last week and a half, I have been moving unwanted email from a single source to my Junk mail folder.  I do this every day by moving the emails to the Junk folder either by highlighting the email and dragging it to Junk, or by clicking on each email and then go to the taks bar's Move button and then move them to Junk.  However emails from that sender keep coming into my regular mail inbox.  How do I permanently direct an unwanted email to Junk?  It is very frustrating.  Thank you.

Email Expert

Re: Putting unwanted emails into the SPAM folder

If there is anything consistent about the messages, you could try setting up a filter for them.  

Assuming you are still in the old email format-------------

From your Inbox page, go to Preferences>>>>>>Email>>>>>>>>Email Filters. Click on that, and then follow the prompts to set up a filter for that sender. One of the options is "Discard", which dumps any emails from that sender and you just never see them.

If you are in the new format, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the screen, then on Settings. There you will see Filter Rules. Click on that and follow the prompts. In the new format there are basically two ways you can block someone; first, you can just pick "Discard" as the action same as with the old format.  Or send them to Trash if you like.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

old format? new format? I have no idea.  I open my Comcast email account straight from the internet and use whatever format is here with no notice as to it's the latest or is one or more versions old.  

I do not see "PReferences" anywhere so I guess it's the new format.

When I click on Settings and then Filter Rules, I do not see a choice for Discard nor for Trash.  It's blank and I have absolutely no idea how to code the email software to do a discard or trash. 

Gold Problem Solver

@Howdidoowrote: old format? new format? I have no idea. ...

If you still have the older "Zimbra" webmail ("web.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/...") see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/spam-filters-and-email-blocking. If you have the newer Open-Xchange "Appsuite" webmail ("connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/...") see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/spam-filters-and-email-blocking-new-experience.

Either way, see "Set Up Email Filters" about halfway down the page.

Frequent Visitor

If you are using Outlook instead of dragging and moving into the Junk folder you right click on message then select Block Sender.  It will move all messages from this sender into your Junk folder.

I am a customer and not Tech Support.

New Poster

I have done that.  This has absolutely no effect and the unwanted emails keep coming into my regular email folder.  All of my efforts of the last 10 days to move unwanted emails to the spam folder are futile.  I end up having to move these unwanted emails to Spam one by one.  This is ridiculous.  Makes me want to close my comcast account.

New Poster

Thank you.  I use Windows 10, Windows Edge as one of the browsers, and I have the most recent cloud MS Office Home set of products.  The problem with this approach, which I used to use, is that the operations conducted in Outlook are not recognized by Comcast.  So, when you receive Compcast emails into the MS Outlook and move an email to Junk in Outlook, that action is not duplicated within Comcast email where it remains a full-fledge, acceptable email.  Comcast tells me the problem is with Outlook and Outlook tells me the problem is with Comcast.  Basically, the 2 systems do not talk very well with each other. 

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation