Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Problems with Gmail/send only

New Poster

Problems with Gmail/send only

I have not changed any of my settings for over a year, and now I am getting a server 421 error, sending only, not receiving. I don't use

my comcast email. I updated passwords, but that's about it. I'm told I may need to change the outgoing port, but gmail

said nothing has changed. Is this a gmail problem or a server issue?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Problems with Gmail/send only

Please post the complete error message, taking care to remove any personal information first. If the message contains an email address, please be sure to remove the userID portion of that address (ex: edit "bobsmith@example.net" so it reads "********@example.net").

Service Expert

teri332 wrote:

I have not changed any of my settings for over a year, and now I am getting a server 421 error, sending only, not receiving. I don't use

my comcast email. I updated passwords, but that's about it. I'm told I may need to change the outgoing port, but gmail

said nothing has changed. Is this a gmail problem or a server issue?

Are you using an email client?  Did you log in to the Gmail web page and the server settings there to see if anything has changed?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

This is the message I am getting when I send emails from gmail through my comcast.net account. I receive and send all email accounts through gmail. This message just started appearing in the last two days.

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the relay smtp.comcast.net by smtp.comcast.net. [68.87.20.6].

The error that the other server returned was:
535 5.7.0 ...authentication rejected (6)
 (SMTP AUTH failed with the remote server)

I am set up on 465 SSL settings.

Regular Visitor

I am actually experiencing the same issue at my work.  This is something that had happened only within the last few days.

I talked with Comcast Business support regarding not being able to send email through Gmail using my Comcast email account.  The technician took me through various steps and we both concluded it had to do with something on the Gmail side.  I took the situation a bit further into some reseach and found that this may go in even further and shows a coalition of issues that are now effecting many Comcast Xfinity email users on different platforms.

The issue has to do with DMARC.("Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance").

This is an authentication based procedure that prevents you from using an alternative alias/email account with another service such as Gmail.  Before this was initially started by AOL and Yahoo to stop spam bots from spoofing user email accounts.  It now looks as if Google has now instituted this as well as many other companies.  According to some information that I have read suggest that Google is not authenticating with any account that is not Google.  However that being said other users have said that their email is working just fine.

In my own speculation I believe that what it comes down to is that both parties being Google and Comcast have to make some type of agreement for internal communication to allow Comcast customers to send email through Gmail as an alternative "Send Mail As".

In short, it was either Google or Comcast that turned this DMARC authentication on to enhance security.  I know what I stated before suggest that it was Google, but I am seeing post regarding Apple users with the same issue.  So either it was Comcast and it is effecting many users, or it was Google and Apple(in this situation) that happened to perform this in recent timing.

Solution? You will need to use another email client besides Gmail if you want to send emails under your Comcast account.  There will be no authentication for now until this is resolved and has nothing to do with the ports.  Port 25 was disabled a long time ago and you would have had issues last year not this year.