Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Problems sending mail after Comcast had me change password - SMTP offline

New Poster

Problems sending mail after Comcast had me change password - SMTP offline

I have a Mac running Yosemite X.  After Comcast had me change my password last night  I can receive mail into my Mac Mail box, but I cannot send. (I can send and reieve on the xfinity website) The Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) says the comcast.net is offline.

Email Expert

Re: Problems sending mail after Comcast had me change password - SMTP offline

When you changed the password, did you change it for both the incoming, and outgoing smtp servers?  You have to change it in both places.  If you don't know how to change it for the smtp server-------------------

Go to:

Mail Preferences/Accounts/Account Information/Outgoing Server/click on arrows/choose Edit Server List and then select the Advanced tab

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Thank you, yes, I made sure that the new password is in the location (incoming and outgoing) on those locations you suggested.  

Now it is saying:  Unable to Receive mail (before it was just sending).  the message is:  

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Verify the settings for account “comcast.net” or try again.

The server returned the error: Mail cannot send your password securely to the server. You can remove this restriction in the Accounts preferences by setting “Allow insecure authentication”, which could put your password at risk.

Any suggestions now?

Email Expert

OK I have to wonder------there was an email outage Sunday, and then again yesterday.  I'm thinking maybe it is somehow the cause of your issue.  Others are suddenly reporting difficulty trying to either send or recieve email.  Can you operate normally if you use only the Comcast webmail UI?

Also, did you re-start Mail after you made the changes?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Yes, I can send and receive when i go to my Comcast Web e-mail site.  I restarted earlier, but not after the most recent changes.  I will try that.