discussions

Postmaster quota warning

Regular Visitor

Postmaster quota warning

I keep getting this message

Subject: Quota warning
Date: August 29, 2015
To: xxxxxx <xxxxx@comcast.net>  [not my real email address]

Your mailbox size has reached 9257.50MB, which is over 90% of your 10240.00MB quota. Please delete some messages to avoid exceeding your quota.

Yet when I go into Comcast Mail directly, it shows zero usage (attachment), which is probably correct as I use Outlook 2013 to download all emails.  So, how do I stop the messages?

BoxFull.jpg
Email Expert

Re: Postmaster quota warning

Do you have the account in Outlook set up using IMAP or POP3?  If you're using POP3 and not leaving a copy on the server, then you need to call and have them look at your account.  If you are using IMAP remember it leaves the originals on the server.  Do you have that many emails in the account in Outlook?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Pop3Settings.jpgI have several accounts and they're all POP3 and they all have the same "Delivery" options: Remove from server after 7 (or 14) days and Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'.

I've been using Outlook (various versions) for many, many years (>15) and never had this problem before.  I leave a copy of messages on the server because I have several devices that receive email.  But Outlook is on my PC of record and that controls what's on the server.

The graphic on my email page at comcast.net shows zero usage which should be true because all emails are deleted from the server after 7 or 14 days.

Yes, I do have many, many emails on the primary PC with Outlook as they go back many, many years, held in folders (.PST) on a local drive.  Some other devices have some emails, but not in large numbers.  Again, this only just started happening roughly at the beginning of the month.  Maybe coinciding with Windows 10 upgrade?

Email Expert

Do you have that account enabled on any of the other devices with IMAP?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Well, yes.  MS Outlook for iPad only allows IMAP, so that's how I configured one account.  I deleted all emails and deleted the single account and let's see if that stops the "Postmaster" messages.

Question: When you have one account on two devices.  One device is POP3 using Outlook 2013 and the account is set up to delete all messages from the server after 7 days and the other is IMAP where no such option exists, which takes precedence?  I have other devices, PC's, but they are all using POP3 with no configuration for the server.  That way, one device acts as the "master" PC where all emails are downloaded and saved in folders (if desired) and all junk is deleted locally and on the server (based upon the configuration).  This has worked as intended until I started getting the message that my allocation was almost filled. 

If IMAP is saving everything on the server, why did the Comcast email usage gauge indicate 0% usage?

Thanks!

Bronze Problem Solver

If you delete the messages off the server with a pop account....They will be deleted and no longer available on the device set to IMAP, they will vanish off the IMAP device.

Email Expert

@KingCerdic------------

I think what kheffington said is true.  That being the case, I'm going to suggest you call Comcast security and ask them to look at your account-----------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon