Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Port Change Notification

Official Employee

Port Change Notification

Comcast has begun sending out notification of a change to how customers can access their Comcast.net email.  This quick FAQ is intended to provide links to the available information in order to help our customers in the transition.

I use XfinityConnect or other webmail (like Gmail, Hotmail, etc.).  Does this change affect me?

No, it does not.  In no way does this notification impact you or your ability to send or receive email.  

I use an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.) to check my email.  What changes do I need to make?

Please see our FAQ.  It provides the settings that need to change, as well links to step-by-step instructions on how to update most major email applications.

For quick reference here are a few of the most common email application FAQs:

Why is Comcast making this change?

Please see our FAQ and our Comcast Voice Blog.  They explain the reasons for this change in detail.

I received an email about this change, how can I tell that it's not a scam?

Please see our FAQ.  It explains Comcast Verified Email and how to identify Verified email.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Re: Port Change Notification

Thank you for the information ComcastJordan.  I too received the email from Comcast recommending that I change my ports.  However, I am using Outlook 2002, which is not listed on your "most common email application FAQs.  Do I need to switch the ports for my version also, and if so, do I just follow the instructions for Outlook 2003?

Customer Expert

For those of you using iOS on iPhone or iPad, we've been suggesting using port 465 and SSL all along.

I have screenshots of the settings in this thread:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-and-Xfinity-Connect-Help/Screenshots-of-iPhone-5-mail-settings/m...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Ever since I switched ports, I'm having a hard time sending emails to people with gmail.  Is it a gmail problem or a comcast problem?  Thanks

Official Employee

KateB7 wrote:

Ever since I switched ports, I'm having a hard time sending emails to people with gmail.  Is it a gmail problem or a comcast problem?  Thanks

The port change should not have any effect on domains you are sending to. Please start a new thread and describe the issue you are seeing.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Gold Problem Solver

This was posted by ComcastJordan this morning.

As of yesterday, this issue should be resolved.  Sorry for the lack of communication on this one, but it took a while to track down.  If folks see this pop up as a trend (occasional bounces do occur after all), please let us know.  

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

New Poster

DON't DO IT...

I just completed the "required" port change to my outlook 2010 following xfinity directions. (first mistake)

I started receiving double emails. I noticed I now have 2 "same name" eamil accounts from outlook

the second with the (1) extension. (should I delete 1)  (second mistake). Directions state click "new"

Why doesnt comcast/xfinity test these directions before sending them.

I tried the xfinity "online tech support"  they want $80.00 setup and $20.00 a month for support.  I responded that this was a comcast mistake and I got tech disconnect.  SO Now I have 2 email accounts showing and 1 of them is deleted and cant be modified.  

Sorry for the sound off but

Thanks Comcast/xfinity

Tim

Tags (1)
New Poster

the problem has been resolved.  How do I stop your emails to me?

Gold Problem Solver

Click on Topic Options at the top left side of the thread.  Then click on Unsubscribe..

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

New Poster

Second attempt at this question, can one of the Comcast techs. please advise?  I too received the email from Comcast recommending that I change my ports.  However, I am using Outlook 2002, which is not listed on your "most common email application FAQs.  Do I need to switch the ports for my version also, and if so, do I just follow the instructions for Outlook 2003?

Official Employee

John,

Yes, you will need to change your port settings and Outlook 2003 has similar (but not the same) settings screens for modifying the port configurations.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Gold Problem Solver

You would change the Port settings in the Advanced tab in Outlook 2002.

CC

Frequent Visitor

I was never notified of the change in ports and my email was totally screwed up. I had to call Comcast technical help and they didn't know what to do with MS Live mail 2011. The technician was apparently working with an earler version. Please do something about notifying EVERYONE of your changes.

Official Employee

hattieruth wrote:

I was never notified of the change in ports and my email was totally screwed up. I had to call Comcast technical help and they didn't know what to do with MS Live mail 2011. The technician was apparently working with an earler version. Please do something about notifying EVERYONE of your changes.

Given your other posts regarding email issues recently, I doubt that the change in ports is the issue (particularly since in most areas we have only sent notifications and not actually implemented the bootfile changes to effect the change). I recommend you start a new thread and list out any current issues you are having so folks can assist.

JL
Internet Services

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I no longer have an issue. Changing the ports fixed it.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Regular Contributor

The TB 11 screen shots are not what is used for the newer versions.

The screen shots for Thunderbird 17, 18 and maybe a few earlier versions should be included in your sample.

Frequent Visitor

Hello, all.

I use Gmail as my SMTP client for my Comcast Email.  Is anyone aware of an option to change the Port Number in Gmail?  Thanks!

New Poster

Running Windows Live Mail, got to your "instruction pages" but the FIRST PAGE will not print out!  I like to have a hard copy to work with before doing something like this.  Pages 2-3 do print out.  Any ideas?  Send me an email, haha.

New Poster

Hi - I just received this email today from Comcast.    I don't use Outlook or anything like that to send emails.   I have checked my email on my phone once in a while (Verizon) and I also receive email from Network Solutions where my business email is forwarded to me, but how does this apply to me?

New Poster

Hello, my Outlook email stopped being able to send outgoing email on November 14.  I have JUST TODAY, TWO MONTHS later, received the notification email, which of course fixed the problem.

Can Comcast explain why it took two months of disabling my outlook to finally send me their courtesy email explaining how to fix the problem Comcast caused? 

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Official Employee

jusgre,

If you use Gmail to POP your Comcast email, there are no port changes needed.  You should continue to operate without issue.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Ariapriest,

Sorry for the confusion.  Please feel free to ignore the email if you're confident you do not use an email client to send/receive mail.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Lifetimer,

Not sure why you saw an issue back on Nov 14.  We'll look into our processes to make sure nothing like this happens again.  In future, feel free to contact 800-COMCAST where our staff could have assisted you in adjusting your ports.

Thanks.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Email client (e.g. thunderbird, mac mail, outlook, iphone mail, etc) ports quick reference:

port protocol purpose encryption url notes
110 POP3 retrieving email via POP3 plain/none or starttls pop.comcast.net or mail.comcast.net  
995 POP3 retrieving email via POP3 requires SSL pop.comcast.net or mail.comcast.net  
25 SMTP sending email via SMTP plain/none or starttls smtp.comcast.net DO NOT USE - we are moving away from this
587 SMTP sending email via SMTP plain/none or starttls smtp.comcast.net requires authentication must be enabled and SPA must be disabled
465 SMTP sending email via SMTP requires SSL smtp.comcast.net requires authentication must be enabled and SPA must be disabled
143 IMAP retrieving email via IMAP requires starttls imap.comcast.net will only work if you are on beta
993 IMAP retrieving email via IMAP requires SSL imap.comcast.net will only work if you are on beta

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 14 in conversation