Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Password problems

Regular Visitor

Password problems

I just joined comcast and set up my primary username and password.  My password has no capital letters.

I tried to set up a second email address on the same account.  This is a second email address for me, not a family member.

I filled in the first and last name field and created a new handle.  The password box was pre-filled, but the confirm pw box was empty, so I entered my primary password I used to log into my Comcast account.

The error message was: A password needs to have at least one capital letter.

Since I already created my password, without any caps, it seems this page wants me to create a new password for each user. I have enough memory issues and need only one comcast password.  I dont understand why I could not create a new email under the same password.

Email Expert

Re: Password problems

It's a security thing.  It makes no sense to use the same password for another account.  It's like having 6 strong boxes with 6 locks all using the same key.  If one account were to be compromised, they would all be at risk.  Using the secondary accounts has always been modeled on different users in the same household having their own accounts.  Right now I have three Comcast email accounts------and they all have unique passwords.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Is this a change from a few years ago?  My friend used to have Comcast, and he says he had 3 email addresses all with the same password.

Actually, it makes more sense to me to let the user choose whether to have a unique pw for an email address.  My situation is far from unique, where a singer user wants multiple email addresses (e.g., professional, friends/family, online shopping).  I wish CC gave us this choice.

When I read your post, I did not see anything to check for 'it solved the issue.'  Being 65, I do miss a lot of the little screen "stuff" that is off to the side.  If I see it, I'll check it for sure.  Also, I assume Kudos is the same as Thanks, so I'll click that.

Email Expert

Comcast is different from other email providers in that you have a primary account, and any secondary accounts you set up are tied to it.  You might be able to do what you described with some other email provider, but even if you can I would never recommend such a practice.  It's a disaster in the making if your one password gets compromised.  You should never use the same password on multiple internet accounts of any kind.

Just sayin

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

cglenn7777 wrote: Is this a change from a few years ago?

Yes. The password requirements were once much less strict.

Please see https://www.filterjoe.com/2010/05/14/how-attackers-steal-passwords/, especially item #3, for additional information on the importance of NOT using the same password for multiple sites.