SOLVED
Posted by
Edited on
‎01-13-2013 10:50 AM

Gold Problem Solver

Message 63 of 341 (6,287 Views)

PROMOTIONS BLINKING BOX

[ Edited ]

If you want to post about the Promotion Box in the XfinityConnect Inbox, PLEASE post it in THIS Thread only.  There are so many different threads/posts now that we are having trouble keeping track of them to reply.  Thank you your help is appreciated.

CC

Note:

There is nothing you can do to disable or remove it!

Comcast is aware of the complaints.

The only suggestion we can offer is IF YOU USE FIREFOX, install the Ad Blocker Plus Add On.

It does block the ads.  https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

340 REPLIES
Highlighted
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 341 (4,911 Views)

Banner ads on email page.

I strongly object to the banner ad that appears in brilliant color under the banner "Promotions." It reads "Issue (3)", which would make one believe that there might be something wrong with the subscriber's hardware or software. Clicking on it shows it to be only a tout for another piece of junk software that the used likely has no use for. I have opted out of all ads and promotions on my e-mail page, so why won't it go away? And why is it the most brightly colored thing on the page? You should be ashamed. 

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 2 of 341 (4,908 Views)

Re: Banner ads on email page.

www.ghostery.com remove those pesky ads .

Posted by
Visitor
Message 3 of 341 (4,895 Views)

Re: Banner ads on email page.

please delete the promotion ads on the left hand side of my e-mail.thank you.arlene marisi

Posted by
Visitor

Message 4 of 341 (5,800 Views)

email - promotions - "blinking" advertisments

On my email page, I have a blinking light in the lower left hand corner of the screen under "promotions".  It is in the form of a check mark that blinks and it says there is an issue with my computer.  When you click on this annoying blinking icon, it takes you to a website for "PC boost".  Then there is a button for a download to fix the problem.  When it's all done, they tell you it will cost $29.95 for the fix.

I JUST WANT THIS ANNOYING AD TO BE REMOVED.  COMCAST should not allow these types of solicitations.  My Comcast bill is over $200 per month.  I should not be subject to a constant bombardment of annoying advertisements.  Please remove these from my computer.

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-11-2013 11:58 AM

Problem Solver

Message 5 of 341 (5,790 Views)

Re: email - promotions - "blinking" advertisement

[ Edited ]

Take action remove it yourself .  Install a Ad blocker program . I use Ghostery which works well .

http://www.ghostery.com/

http://adblockplus.org/  < have not used this one .       

Comcast makes money from that pesky advertisement . Its deceptive fear based advertising .  

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-11-2013 01:07 PM

Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 341 (5,772 Views)

Re: email - promotions - "blinking" advertisments

[ Edited ]

I just chatted with Comcast help on the same issue of the blinking red box or other blinking ad on my Xfinity email.

I got a procedure that I am having trouble implementing

1) ....login to your email first

2) ..click the Ad Info link beneath an Advertisement within XFINITY Connect  __I  DON"T UNDER JARGON OF "XFINITY Connect" - WHERE IS THIS?

3) Please click the Turn Off Email Ads link under XFINITY Connect Ads

4) Completing this step will remove the advertisement from the home page and the 'skyscrapper' advertisement on the righside of the Xfinity Connect.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 7 of 341 (5,763 Views)

This is the link to block some, not all ads. 

http://xfinity.comcast.net/adinformation/

You can also install Ad Blocker Plus Add ON if you use Firefox as your browser.  Once installed all you would see in the Inbox is this:

OR- use an email client instead- NO ads at all.  Free programs include:  Windows Live mail, Thunderbird, GMail.

CC

Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-11-2013 01:57 PM

Gold Problem Solver

Message 8 of 341 (5,751 Views)

[ Edited ]

Do not use Profanity. Please keep your posts clean. Our forums have an automated profanity filter to block out inappropriate language. Please do not circumvent it by finding colorful ways to approximate or disguise those words. If you are caught trying to bypass the filters in any way, your posting privileges may be revoked

Read the Posting Guidelines

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 9 of 341 (5,709 Views)

How long does it take till selecting turn off email ads works ?      in "promotions" area of email

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 10 of 341 (6,018 Views)

Re: PC Health Boost

I would suggest that everyone annoyed by this issue contact Rick Germano, Senior Vice President of Customer Operations at Comcast, to express your displeasure with the blinking ad in particular and with Comcast e-mail ads and the promotions box in general.  They should not be present in paid e-mail, but nothing will change if we don't say anything!

Here is the link (see bottom of page): http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/RickGCustCare.html?SCRedirect=true

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 11 of 341 (6,012 Views)

I spent an hour and a half with Comcast tonight trying to get rid of the promotions box, and they confirmed that the box and the ads in it are built into the Xfinity e-mail.  I double-checked this by clicking on the ad box and adding it to my "blocked" sites.  Blocking this ad site--which prevents storage of the cookie for the site--generated a nasty message when I tried to log back in to my e-mail, and I had to turn off the blocking to get back in.  Comcast DOES control the ad traffic in this box, and turning off the other e-mail ads in the Comcast preferences DOES NOT turn off those in the promotions box.  I now have a piece of cardboard taped to my monitor to block the annoying blinking ad while I check my e-mail.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 12 of 341 (6,000 Views)

Thanks for the link. I wrote.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 13 of 341 (4,531 Views)

Security

Comcast:

In the lower left hand corner of my email page, I occasionally get a blinking message from an organization claiming a partnership with Microsoft and wishing to have me volunteer to put in a patch to correct a problem I don't have. As far as I can tell, they appear to be attached to MacAfee which I do not use. If you are allowing them to be there, then is Comcast endorsing them and are they making the users aware who they are and what the patch is for? If they are, I'm not seeing anything looking like an explanation or a disclaimer. For my own safety, I don't put anything on my system I don't know about, but you are supplying them access to me and others that may not be quite as curious about their intent. Are you endorsing them and are you telling the public that a program like this commits the user to MacAfee product usage?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 14 of 341 (4,510 Views)

Re: Security

I am very interested in Comcast's response to the query below on the very annoying flashing security alert that is basically a rude marketing ploy.  How can I change the screen view for my e-mail to make it go away?

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-12-2013 09:16 PM

Frequent Visitor

Message 15 of 341 (5,655 Views)

[ Edited ]

CCCarole wrote:

This is the link to block some, not all ads. 

http://xfinity.comcast.net/adinformation/

You can also install Ad Blocker Plus Add ON if you use Firefox as your browser.  Once installed all you would see in the Inbox is this:

OR- use an email client instead- NO ads at all.  Free programs include:  Windows Live mail, Thunderbird, GMail.

CC

I tried the http://xfinity.comcast.net/adinformation/ link and it seemed opt out of all the listed sites but one that did not respond to the request.

I went back to it today and it was as if I had done nothing almost all were back (Opt in).

This does not appear to be a good faith or effect method through that website/process.  

An ad on my email under Promotions that blinks links to a 

XXXX://www.fix-outlook-express.com/site. 

I cannot see why Xfinity email allows this blinking poor etiquette ad!!  If that company or any other sent an ad with loud sound and moving red lines that shot across my screen through my emails would you just say it is OK?   Why would users keep using Xfinity email?  

Please forward to your management chain so that they are aware of the uncontrolled nature of some of these ads and the possible affect they may have on the users of Xf email. Reconsider this issue and the Xfinity website's policy for it?  Perhaps simply setting a few ground rules for the ads that are displayed on Xfinity based on well accepted net etiquette?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 16 of 341 (5,649 Views)

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 341 (5,906 Views)
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 18 of 341 (4,497 Views)

Re: Security

You do not have to go to their e-mail page at all. Use an e-mail client , such as outlook, apple mail or Thunderbird, and be done with them.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 19 of 341 (5,445 Views)

flashing promotion light - lower left side of email page - how do I disable it?

Promotion flashing light on email page...how do I disable it?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 20 of 341 (5,574 Views)

Flashing red box and "Issue 1" on e-mail page.

I want you to get rid of this promotion . I don't even have MS Outlook. This is extremely annoying. I did not ask for this. I have Iolo System Mechanic and Norton security from Comcast. I don't want or need this attempt to sell me somthing from a site with no security certificate, that is apparently from Comcast.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 21 of 341 (5,440 Views)

Re: flashing promotion light - lower left side of email page - how do I disable it?

JamesAHuber wrote:

Promotion flashing light on email page...how do I disable it?

You cannot disable it.  There are a number of threads about this in this Forum.  Comcast has been notified of the objections, but so far has not posted anything about removing it.  Time will tell.

In the meantime, if you use Firefox as your browser as I do, you can install Ad Blocker Plus Add-On which will block everything but the word Promotions itself

thsi is what I see:>>>

CC

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 22 of 341 (5,581 Views)

I have already notifed the correct team about this, and have included links to the threads about it as well.  Now it is up to Comcast to handle.  I totally agree with you and hope it is removed.

I still recommend not using XfinityConnect and use a real email client instead.

No ads at all, and none off the issues we are seeing reporting in the Email Forum.

I use XfinityConnect for testing and helping fellow customers, but I much prefer Outlook 2010 and Windows Live Mail.  just my opinion.

If you travel for business and must access email through Xfinity, you can use the mobile m.comcast.net which is a very basic email program/

CC

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-12-2013 04:33 PM

Problem Solver

Message 23 of 341 (5,429 Views)

Re: flashing promotion light - lower left side of email page - how do I disable it?

[ Edited ]

So that ad cannot be disabled ? I thought i read post saying it could be . web page , http://xfinity.comcast.net/adinformation/

Anywho i use Ghostery when i do not want ads .

sry i edited post .

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 24 of 341 (5,425 Views)

The Add Blocker Plus Add On is for the Firefox browser.  I don't know of another ad blocker that I would trust.  You could post in the Mac Forum and see what a Mac Expert might recommend.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 25 of 341 (5,391 Views)

Went back to original post where i saw it was possible to disable , saw your comments . This thread is probably one which should be ongoing in one spot .

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 26 of 341 (5,517 Views)

Re: Flashing red box and "Issue 1" on e-mail page.

Jan. 12th: I 'chatted' with a comcast rep earlier today about this flashing red box appearing to the left of my e-mail in-box...I had a serious head injury, several surgeries and am on anti-seizure medication. I explained that this flashing red box causes a seizure...she told me how to opt out of ads...but it did not work and Comcast is doing nothing about this...they will when someone sues them...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 27 of 341 (5,387 Views)

Jan. 12th: As I said, I chatted with a Comcast rep because I have a head injury and am on anti-seizure meds and this flashing red light causes seizures...she told me how to opt out of ads but it did not work...the flashing light is still there. Comcast fills every available inch with ads on the internet and on T.V.  They just don't care but I know that since they were contacted about that, those who have seizure problems will sue them if they don't get rid of it...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 28 of 341 (5,230 Views)

flashing red light

How do I get the flashing RED LIGHT off my email page.  Will I have a seizure with the constant flashing while trying to ge me to look at a Boost Ad?  I don't know if it's dangerous, but its very annoying.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 29 of 341 (5,507 Views)

Use Ad Blocker software to remove ads I use Ghostery works well , there are many other programs out there .

When I saw ad on comcast site with police officer flashing radar light I thought about my cousin with similar seizures

Really comcast remove those types of ads .

Posted by
Edited on
‎01-12-2013 05:11 PM

Problem Solver

Message 30 of 341 (5,226 Views)

Re: flashing red light

[ Edited ]

If you have firefox web browser you get ad on which blocks ads

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/updated-ad-blocker-for-fire/

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 31 of 341 (5,490 Views)

Flashing red box ad on left side of email

PLEASE tell  me how to get rid of the promotions on the left side of the email screen.   It blocks all of my folders except the top 3.   I pay for this service; I should not have to see ads I do not want.   PLUS - now it has this extremely obnoxious red flashing box trying to tell me I have a 'serious problem' with my Outlook.   I have NO problem with my Outlook.   I DO have a problem with this flashing box.   I suffer from migraines and if I stay on my email page too long, it brings on a migraine.   PLEASE REMOVE THIS!!!!!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 32 of 341 (5,486 Views)

Re: Flashing red box ad on left side of email

There are many threads/posts on this topic.  Comcast is aware of the complaints.

Now we have to see what they are going to do about it.

IF you use Firefox as your browser you can download their Add Blocker Plus Add On.  It does block everything except for the word Promotions.  I use it myself and I only see this>>>

The other choice until this is taken care of, is to use an email client instead.  no ads with email clients.  Free ones include:  Windows Live mail, Thunderbird, and Gmail.

CC

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 33 of 341 (5,484 Views)

I have same problem.  It just started today.  Flashing red box on left side of screen I can't get rid of.  Help

Posted by
Visitor

Message 34 of 341 (5,476 Views)

i agree    please remove this type of adds   comcast

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 35 of 341 (5,477 Views)

Di8d you read my post above yours?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 36 of 341 (5,532 Views)

I am so irritated I have switched to Outlook Express to read my Comcast e-mail. As long as the Inbox Preview page is open (no flashing red icons), your new emails will travel and appear in your Outlook mailbox. (Stupid Comcast.)

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 37 of 341 (5,524 Views)

Note:  If switching to an email client:  The default setting for most email clients is to download to the client Inbox, and remove from the Comcast server.  If you want to still have access to copies of your email in XfinityConnect, you must change the setting in the client to Leave a copy of messages on the server.

CC

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 38 of 341 (5,458 Views)

Not sure which Xfinity Connect I use.   I would assume full.   I only use Comcast's e-mail account.   I used to use Outlook but when I got new computer I couldn't use it.  I use Microsoft Explorer.  No I haven't cleared cookies/cache.  Not quite sure how.  I use Windows 8.    Today something popped up on my screen when I was in e-mail asking me to do a comcast survey.  I ignored it but after a few times I did it to get rid of it.  Then this bright red box started popping up and flashing on my promotion area on left side of screen.   I can't get rid of it and when I try ads come up for getting rid of Outlook Error Ox800cccOd.  I go in and of course they want you to buy their product.   Anyway, help.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 39 of 341 (5,454 Views)

Having the same problem..

Full

I hav a Mac - I  use Comcast for email; have a gmail & .mac account as well

Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache? Safari; yes

Mac OSx

Blinking red box in Comcast mailbox view lower left corner by "Promotion"

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 40 of 341 (5,444 Views)

Has anyone tried Simple Adblock for the IE browser?

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 41 of 341 (5,427 Views)

where do I find adblock?

Posted by
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Message 42 of 341 (4,589 Views)

Stupid ad

In the lower left hand coner of my xfinity email page is an ad with a flashing red square that never goes away.

Isnt there a limity to how much you guys will pimp something

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 43 of 341 (4,583 Views)

Re: Stupid ad

Lots of posts about that ad. Just don't use that page for your e-mail, I don't.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 44 of 341 (5,449 Views)

This is a totally unacceptable "promotion."  I used ghostery on Google Chrome to block it, but my wife uses Expedia and can't get rid of this annoying, pushy sales fraud.   Shame on Comcast.  But it's great news for Verizon FIOS in places where that's a choice (e.g., Northern VA).   If this blinking red light continues and changing browsers doesn't work, we'll have no choice but to end a long relationship with Comcast, which supplies Internet, phone and TV. 

The irony is that the ad is about Outlook, yet it only bothers those of us who use Comcast email instead of Outlook.  This may have been the dumbest business decision of 2013, so far.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 45 of 341 (4,566 Views)

How can I get my email without using that page?

I just spent a lot of time chatting with a Comcast rep, who said she didn't see the ad when she went into my email, and maybe it was malware or a pop-up ad.  She directed me to an ehow page to get rid of popup ads - which seemed to have a sponsored link to the same people sponsoring the blinking red square!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 46 of 341 (4,551 Views)

I have the same problem.  I also have a Twitter ad for Xfinity right above the blinking red box.  The box these ads are in is entitled "promotions".  I have no idea where this came from, but it is driving me crazy.  Of course, trying to reach a technician is a joke.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 47 of 341 (4,547 Views)

Yes I agree! That stupid ad keeps setting off my epilepsy! How annoying. Bunch of dopes.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 48 of 341 (4,538 Views)

I just found this info on past forums:  http://xfinity.comcast.net/adinformation/

Hopefully, it will help.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 49 of 341 (4,532 Views)

Barbie, do you mean that you don't use xfinity email?  That flashing icon is on the page I get when I am looking at the list of messages in my inbox.  What other page is there to view the inbox contents?  Please share any tips you have.