Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

POP3 Access Through MS Outlook?

ANSWERED
New Poster

POP3 Access Through MS Outlook?

Up until a few days ago I had been successfully using a POP3 connection to get my comcast email in MS Outlook.  This has been working fine for quite a few years.  Now I can't connect to the server.  Getting into email from the browser through the Xfinity site works fine using the same ID/Password.

Most connection setup information I can find references an IMAP connection.  Is the POP3 connection method no longer supported?

Accepted Solution

Re: POP3 Access Through MS Outlook?

After posting my question the forum listed related topics on the right and I found one that prompted me to make some changes.  I copied some of their setup information here using their format.

1. choose POP3 as the Account Type (it was already this way and CANNOT be changed)
  2. Incoming mail server is mail.comcast.net  (Mine was set for pop3.comcast.net)
  3. Outgoing mail server is smtp.comcast.net (No change here)
  4. enter User Name (your Comcast user ID, the part before "@comcast.net" in your email address) (No change here)
  5. enter Password (No change here)
  6. check "Remember password" (No change here)
  7. make sure “Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is NOT checked (No change here)
  8. choose More Settings
  9. go to the Outgoing Server tab
  10. check “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”
  11. choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”
  12. go to the Advanced tab
  13. choose SSL encryption for both incoming and outgoing servers
  14. change port number to 995 for incoming, 587 for outgoing (Mine was using 993 and some other value)
  15. bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end (Kept the existing shorter timeouts)

My incoming and outgoing connections are now working.  Nothing changed on my side other than being offline for almost 10 days from the PC where I'm using Outlook.  The changes listed above are now in my setup for Outlook.

View answer in context
New Poster

After posting my question the forum listed related topics on the right and I found one that prompted me to make some changes.  I copied some of their setup information here using their format.

1. choose POP3 as the Account Type (it was already this way and CANNOT be changed)
  2. Incoming mail server is mail.comcast.net  (Mine was set for pop3.comcast.net)
  3. Outgoing mail server is smtp.comcast.net (No change here)
  4. enter User Name (your Comcast user ID, the part before "@comcast.net" in your email address) (No change here)
  5. enter Password (No change here)
  6. check "Remember password" (No change here)
  7. make sure “Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is NOT checked (No change here)
  8. choose More Settings
  9. go to the Outgoing Server tab
  10. check “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication”
  11. choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server”
  12. go to the Advanced tab
  13. choose SSL encryption for both incoming and outgoing servers
  14. change port number to 995 for incoming, 587 for outgoing (Mine was using 993 and some other value)
  15. bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end (Kept the existing shorter timeouts)

My incoming and outgoing connections are now working.  Nothing changed on my side other than being offline for almost 10 days from the PC where I'm using Outlook.  The changes listed above are now in my setup for Outlook.

Contributor

Thank you!  This needs to be pinned to the top of the forum.  Once I realized my email problems were pop-related I searched for POP3 and found this answer.  Not sure how non-techies would figure this out if their email suddenly stops working...  When I tried to re-add my email to my iPhone it set it up as iMAP.  That worked, but I'd rather use POP3.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation