Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

POOR-NEW- EMAIL OPERATING SYSTEM

New Poster

POOR-NEW- EMAIL OPERATING SYSTEM

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG COMCAST IS GOING TO TORTURE US WITH THIS NEW EMAIL SYSTEM?? PLEASE BRING BACK THE OLD RELIABLE SYSTEM??

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: POOR-NEW- EMAIL OPERATING SYSTEM

Won't happen, I'm afraid.  Probably the best option is to abandon webmail and install an email client.  That will download your mail to your maching for increased secuity, and provide you with a lot more features.  There are a host of free ones (I like Mozella's Thunderbird), or if you have the Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook would work.

Regular Contributor

I can easily configure Outlook on my work machine, but none of my webmail folders I created are visible when I do that, just like on my home desktop machine. If anyone has a quick answer to import, appreciate it (yes I am also searching here and Office help).

Bronze Problem Solver

I try to avoid Oulook wherever I can, so I'm certainly no expert, but I don't think you can import folders from webmail. You'd have to recreate them.  Hope for your sake I'm wrong. If so, could you please post the procedure here to help others?  Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I really don't want to use Outlook either, but I am tired of all the "features" driving me and everyone else nuts.

I think you are correct, I don't see a way to export mail. Heck, I don't see a way in webmail to export my contacts out and import in Outlook.

1. You can't export webmail folders

2. The ability to export an address book in webmail IS BROKEN and has been since at least mid-January!

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/exporting-my-address-book/m-p/2863707/highlight/fals...

So much for using Outlook (or any other third-party client). It's like Comcast wants you to stay with them on webmail/apps.

Bronze Problem Solver

Thunderbird is a lot easier to work with.  And it's free.  On the down side, it might not do what you want, and it would be a significant amount of work. 

I didn't do it with webmail, but I did migrate my wife's years of email from Outlook 2003 to Thunderbird.  Like you, she had lots of folders to file email.  Since the Outlook is so old, the current version of Thunderbird's import module wasn't compatible with it, so I had to find and install an older version.  (They have every version available, even the very first one!)  So, it was a two stage conversion process, but in the end, it did transfer all her mail, with the folder structure intact.  Again, that wasn't webmail, so the process may not work.

Best of luck with it.  And let me know if I can help.

Regular Contributor

My wife literally has tens of thousands of e-mails and she uses Live Mail (no update since what? 2012), and the iOS App which of course does not see all the offline folders she has. When our hard drive crashed 2 years ago, restoring her mail from backups was a major major migraine. Thank goodness, I had backed those folders, and her contacts up. I don't have the time to convert her off Live Mail to anywhere else (I have Office 2010 at home).

I gave up on Outlook for me.

Thanks for the offer.

Service Expert

Welcome_to_Post wrote:

Thunderbird is a lot easier to work with.  And it's free.  On the down side, it might not do what you want, and it would be a significant amount of work. 

I didn't do it with webmail, but I did migrate my wife's years of email from Outlook 2003 to Thunderbird.  Like you, she had lots of folders to file email.  Since the Outlook is so old, the current version of Thunderbird's import module wasn't compatible with it, so I had to find and install an older version.  (They have every version available, even the very first one!)  So, it was a two stage conversion process, but in the end, it did transfer all her mail, with the folder structure intact.  Again, that wasn't webmail, so the process may not work.

Best of luck with it.  And let me know if I can help.

WTP, just a helpful link for older versions of many programs:

OldVersion.com

Feel free to pass along. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I think the new email system is terrible. Very slow most of the time - the old email system wqs quicker. I don't know how long this was tested before release but it definitely was not tested enough as I feel that I AM A BETA TESTER AND NOT A CUSTOMER AT THIS POINT.