New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Outlook Won't Sync with Outlook.pst file

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

Outlook Won't Sync with Outlook.pst file

Yesterday, my Outlook (2010) stopped retreiving e-mail from the Comcast server.  When I tried to fix it today, it still wouldn't work.  All the settings were correct, but it wouldn't retrieve my e-mail.  I deleted the account and recreated it.  Now, Outlook points to a new .pst file instead of my old Outlook.pst file, named myemail@comcast.net.pst.  To make matters worse, it doesn't delete the mail off the server.  Before, when I would open Outlook, it would download new message to my Inbox and delete them off the server.  The new messges would stay permanently in my Outlook inbox.  No more.  Now if I manually delete one through my Internet browser, it also deletes it out of my Outlook inBox.  Its as though the new account is just a window to the Comcast e-mail server.  I tried changing the Root Folder Path on the Advanced tab of the e-mail account settings to point to the location of my Outlook.pst folder, but that made no difference.  I also tried deleting a recent Microsoft update (KB3054976), but this did not help, either. This is a complete disaster for me, as I can't even send e-mail now, except through the server.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.  The attached picture shows where my e-mail is going now. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Outlook Won't Sync with Outlook.pst file

Did you manually set up the new account, or have Outlook detec the settings? It sounds like it may be a IMAP account, wheras your original one may have been POP.

Here is some info on transferring your folders from the POP PST to your IMAP account, if that is what you want to do.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/634

Otherwise, if you want to continue as you were, you may need to delete the new (IMAP?) account, and set up a new one manually to use the POP protocol.

View answer in context
Tags (1)
Outlook1.jpg
Networking Expert

Did you manually set up the new account, or have Outlook detec the settings? It sounds like it may be a IMAP account, wheras your original one may have been POP.

Here is some info on transferring your folders from the POP PST to your IMAP account, if that is what you want to do.

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/634

Otherwise, if you want to continue as you were, you may need to delete the new (IMAP?) account, and set up a new one manually to use the POP protocol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Yes, you nailed it exactly.  I neglected to write down all my settings before initially deleting the account and just went by what was on the Comcast Outlook configurations page.  They recommended IMAP, which wasn't what I was using.  I realized that late last night upon checking the settings on my laptop, which works the same way, but with a different e-mail address.  Still don't know why it suddenly stopped working two nights ago.

Thansk very much for your help.  I do computers for a living and felt pretty helpless last night when I couldn't solve this.

David