Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Outlook Error 0x80040154

Outlook Error 0x80040154

Having just recently installed Outlook on my computer, I start up Outlook. I enter the information for a new POP3 account, entering mail.comcast.net as the POP address and smtp.comcast.net as the SMTP address.

I add my username and password in the required field as well.

I clicked on Finish, and then I click on Send/Recieve mail.

I get a error message that says:

"Task 'mail.comcast.net - Recieving' reported error (0x80040154) : Unknown error (0x80040154'"

After I let it sit at this for a moment, I get a new error message underneath it stating:

"Task 'mail.comcast.net - Recieving' reported error (0x8004210A). This operation timed out waiting for a response from the recieving (POP) server. If you continue to recieve this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)".

Any ideas?
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Outlook Error 0x80040154

Soritong,

The first error is the likely cause of the second error.

First, try using the "Detect and Repair" function in Outlook. It's under "Help", when you have Outlook started. If that doesn't work, you should try reinstalling Outlook. Your problem is probably an installation problem.
New Poster

Don't think so. I have been running Outlook for at least year and today i get the message

Task - Sending' reported error (0x8004210 : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
Security Expert

Since your error is completely different from the OP, you might look at this from MS

or possibly this one from esite
TANSTAAFL!!

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Email Expert

Soritung, isn't this the same issue you raised in this thread? Please don't start multiple threads for the same problem. If you want to add more details, do it by replying in the original thread.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Barmar, if you look at the bottom of the thread, I was told to make a NEW thread.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office 2003, and it is still giving me the same error.

Any ideas?
Most Valued Poster

Soritong,

Barmar was telling the Anon that hijacked your thread to start a new thread, not you.
Bronze Problem Solver

wlk,

Actually, that was me that suggested that the other Anon(1599732) start a new thread. And I knew as soon as I saw Soritong's new thread that this had caused confusion on their part, even though I made sure to address that reply to Anon1599732.

Soritong,

Did you try the "Detect & Repair" option?

Yes I've tried it twice.

Once on the original install, and then again after the reinstall.

I'm about to just reinstall Windows again.
Most Valued Poster

> wlk,
>
> Actually, that was me that suggested that the other
> Anon(1599732) start a new thread. And I knew as soon
> as I saw Soritong's new thread that this had caused
> confusion on their part, even though I made sure to
> address that reply to Anon1599732.
>

oops! he he, that'll learn me for not double checking....!
Thanks!
Sorry Soritong, you know what happens when you assume.....
Most Valued Poster

On the display where you enter your user/server/login info,
there is a button for "test account settings" what happens when you click this. This tells if everything is okay & also sends you a test email message.

There is also a button for more settings. On the advanced tab, it should show the incoming server as 110 and the port as 25. Also lets you set the server timeout, I habve mind set to 3 mins.

Don't know if you tried any of the above, but thought I would mention it.

Bronze Problem Solver

Soritong,

You might try the following. Search for the *PST file and rename it with Outlook closed, then try again. Rename the PST to some other extension (like "bkup"). Outlook will then create a new PST file, the next time you open it.

I saw this suggested at the following site, which has a few different responses to questions about the "0x80040154" error message. Not all of the questions indicate the exact error you describe seeing, but you may want to look at them. Some include suggestions to use regsvr32, to manually register various dll files. You can search through the site for the "0x80040154" error code.

http://www.rselby.net/out2_3.htm#40154

Or you can nose around for that code using google, which is what I did when I posted the first response, in your other thread. This was where I saw the "Detect & Repair" or reinstall suggestion.

Some other thoughts:

-- check out how you have set up the use of "SSL" and "SPA", to confirm that they are set correctly.

-- confirm that Outlook Express (OE) is also correctly installed. Outlook and OE share some dll files, and Outlook won't run correctly without Outlook Express also being installed--though you don't have to set up your account info on OE

-- unless there is an Outlook feature you want to use that isn't in OE (such as the calendar), try setting up OE

I'm getting the same error starting this weekend. Up until now, all has worked as it should. Now I'm able to receive my Comast email using Outlook 2003, but can not send.

I checked my set-up and even tried a test message -- which MADE it!

However, the regular Send/Receive cycle gives me the error message quoted above.

Any suggestions?
Most Valued Poster

Time to try the standard collection of fixes. I'm virtually certain that these will cure the 0x8004210A error (that one's almost always a firewall problem). I'm less confident about the 0x80040154 error, which I've never seen before. Still, trying these fixes is easier than doing a bunch of massive reinstalls!

First, if you're running Norton Internet Security or Firewall, The Symantec/Norton folks have >an entire article about this problem, so their suggestions should all be attempted first. Be sure to click on the little "+" signs on that page, which expand into extensive step-by-step instructions.

Then, in Outlook, choose Tools, E-Mail Accounts, View or change existing e-mail account, click on your Comcast account to highlight it, Change, incoming server is mail.comcast.net, outgoing server is smtp.comcast.net, make sure “Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)” is NOT checked, More Settings, the Outgoing Server tab, check “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication,” choose “Use same settings as my incoming mail server,” the Advanced tab, check both boxes for “This server requires an SSL-secured connection (SSL),” change port number to 995 for incoming, 465 for outgoing. While you're there, bump up the Server Timeouts slider to the high end.

Don’t bother with the “test” function in Outlook – it often fails, even when everything is set correctly. Shut down Outlook, and make sure it isn’t continuing to run in the background: CTRL-ALT-DEL, the Processes tab, kill any occurrences of OUTLOOK.EXE.

Turn off whatever email scanning your anti-virus package is doing. Comcast already scans incoming email for viruses, and your outgoing email isn’t going to be infected unless your machine is already infected, so there’s no point checking it all the time.

On your firewall, make sure ports 465 and 995 aren’t blocked (if the software will let you do that). If you’re running Norton Internet Security or Personal Firewall, configure the firewall to open it to the mail servers: Networking, Trusted, Add, Individually, mail.comcast.net and smtp.comcast.net.
Contributor

I got the same error message but it was during installation. I have win7x64 and windows 2013. They (comcast) swore that the 2010 plugin was compatible with 2013.