Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Outlook 2010 Disconnects constantly

Regular Visitor

Outlook 2010 Disconnects constantly

I use Outlook 2010 on my local computer for my e-mail and contacts. Iy has been rock solid for a long time. Recently, say for the last month or two plus, it disconnects mostly and reconnects occasionally for no apparent reason.  I use IMAP as the Account Type and the  Incoming and Outgoing Servers are correct, as is the server port numbers (993 for incoming and 587 for outgoing).

I "web chatted" Comcast and while the tech seemed very nice, all we accomplished was to remove then rebuild my profile, screwing up my OST files.

I am currenlty waiting for a Level 2? call from their e-mail people.

Any ideas or suggestions to try?

Official Employee

Re: Outlook 2010 Disconnects constantly

Hello RHPark, this issue is most common when you're connected to your email account on more than one device. Please change your password so that you sign out all other devices at once and then connect to the outlook client you're using, this should solve your problem. If not please reach back out to me here and I can look into your account settings on our end. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thank you for the reply.

Your comment on mutilple co-existing logins does suggest a question. What has changed? This particular configuration (using Outlook 2010 on a desktop with coexisitng access on a Android Phone) has been stable for years. Eventually talking with the Tier 2 support from Comcast suggested several things. One is that my password had been compromised and two it is a Microsoft issue. While I have seen no evidence of my password being comrpomised, I changed it. During this time period of only having one device able to log on, Outlook 2010 continued to disconnect repeatedly and have the send/receive errors. It got to the point where the e-mail service was not reliable. Of course, Comcast's solution was to use their web based E-Mail client. This was not satisfactory.

Comcast had also suggested that I needed to get the latest version of Outlook but declined to confirm that Outlook 2010 was no longer supported.

As this issue started rather suddenly and without a change from my side, this does suggest an external cause, either an Win10 Op system update, Outlook update or server change by Comcast. Perhaps a security change?

My temporary solution was to use POP3 settings. This at least works, though it is not as nice as the LMAP settings.

I am geatly concerned about the lack of clarity in the support from Comcast. Support is there but no answers only smoke and mirrors.

Regular Visitor

I just came across the following statement on a Google Gmail e-mail group. I copied the part below to help frame my question. Has Comcast implemented the same security provisions? Is Outlook 2010 a "Less Secure" app? It would certainly explain things.

"Let less secure apps use your account

If an app or device doesn’t meet our security standards, Google will block anyone who tries to sign in from that app or device. Because these apps and devices are easier to break into, blocking them helps keep your account safe.

Some examples of apps that do not support the latest security standards include:

• The Mail app on your iPhone or iPad with version 6 or below
  • The Mail app on your Windows phone preceding the 8.1 release
  • Some Desktop mail clients like Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird"
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation