Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Outgoing smtp email not working

Regular Contributor

Outgoing smtp email not working

I'm in Baltimore County, MD, using Thunderbird on Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

I cannot connect to outgoing smtp server. After a couple of minutes of the sliding progress bar I get prompted for password (doesn't normally do that), which I enter, then more sliding progress bar, then I get either a 'cannot connect to smtp server, server may be busy' type message or the message to be sent closes and disappears into the vapor.

Incoming mail works fine.

Didn't change any settings. Email has been rock solid forever.

Just tried on my phone and can't send from there either.

smtp service outage?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Outgoing smtp email not working

Same here in S. Florida. Agent has opened a ticket and escalated it.

New Poster

Same here in SWFL - has been out since 4pm
New Poster

Walthm, MA same thing- from elsewhere on the web this looks nationwide- not a good thing

Regular Contributor

Same here in Indy, maybe they will give us an account credit

New Poster

Also not working in Denver---------- tried from PC with Outlook and from IPad

Regular Contributor

Well, now it 'looks' like outgoing smtp is working again (temporarily?) but the couple of messages I just sent to myself haven't come back to me yet.

New Poster

Same here in Chicago, IL.

Open a ticket with support.

Worse of all COMCAST never inform us at all. What a poor service, agree?

New Poster

Ledyard Connecticut, too.   I have a **non**CC email acct that can receive from my CC acct

OK  but I am not receiving any email from myself via CC or sent by me from the non-CC acct.  

Service in theory on it, but no mention by agent that this was more than me.  

She's supposed to call back at 8:30 pm.  Luckily, I have T-mobile, not CC voice or

she might not be able to reach me.

Frequent Visitor

Same in Minneapolis on mobile app. Have not checked home computer. Getting the error detail message, "A stable connection to the server could not be established". Incomming appears to be OK.

New Poster

Same in Portland, Oregon.

Regular Contributor

Same here in Fort Collins, CO.  Have only tried on iPad with native Mail app ...

Bronze Problem Solver

Also down in NW Florida.  Thunderbird on two laptops, iPhone and Webmail all report "The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net timed out". 

New Poster

I am getting this issue too in Washington. However, it appears that you actually can send emails, it's just that the server is not responding successfully after attempting to send the email and your Sent folder is not refreshed to show that you have sent the email.

I sent a couple emails from my Comcast account to a Hotmail account, even though my Comcast email client did report a timeout error and the Sent folder doesn't show the emails, they did show up in my Hotmail inbox after a few minutes.

Regular Contributor

Email appears to be back to normal for me (Baltimore, MD) albeit sometimes a bit laggy in sending.

Frequent Visitor

Was working for a day and a half, now down again. Incomming OK.

Regular Visitor

need help smtp email receives but I cannot send

New Poster

Same here today 3/1/2018 around Chicago.  Just called to talk with a tech who asked me to send an email from my desktop (via Windows Mail and also through the Comcast website) and also from my phone.  All three attempts failed and she said she would escalate the call.  This happens far too often.  If it's not this issue then it's asking me for my password over and over and over. 

New Poster

Looks like it's working now around 4pm on 3/1.  It was out for about 2 hours and clearly they found the issue and resolved it. 

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats