Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Outgoing mail server (smtp.comcast.net) on Mac mail will not allow messages to send

Regular Visitor

Outgoing mail server (smtp.comcast.net) on Mac mail will not allow messages to send

I recent changed my email client from embarqmail to Comcast. Now I am having a prolem with my mailboxes I have on my mail account on my Macbook. 

Particularly, when I try to send an email using my Comcast account I get an error that says the SMTP server cannot be accessed. I went to the Xfinity website and followed the directions on how to configure Comcast Email on a Mac. Checking the SSL box, setting the port to 587 and inserting my Comcast user id and password. But still, it does not let me send messages.

Can anyone out there guide me as to what to try next?

Thanks. 

Email Expert

Re: Outgoing mail server (smtp.comcast.net) on Mac mail will not allow messages to se

I have an iMac.  I have the smtp setting at "Use Default Ports (25,465,587)"---and it works just fine.  That's for a POP3 Comcast account.  Or you could try using 465 if you want to specify one.  25 is no longer supported by Comcast.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Re: Outgoing mail server (smtp.comcast.net) on Mac mail will not allow messages to se

I have not been able to send e mails either.  I have tried all the port numbers and still no luck.  Have never had trouble before. Is there something that I am missing

Regular Visitor

Me too. Was working fine until about a week ago. Deleted the account and recreated. Tried all the ports including default. Can no longer send email with smtp.comcast.net. Still looking for a solution.

Email Expert

As a test, download Thunderbird and see if it works OK that way.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

What finally worked for me was that when I selected "Edit SMTP Server List.." I noticed that mail.comcast.net was on the list as well as smtp.comcast.net. I selected mail.comcast.net and clicked "-" to remove it. Outgoing mail worked after that.

Official Employee

Another thing to check, is to make sure there isn't a trailing space after the server name.

ComcastDaveL

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Never mind. Not working again. I thought Apple was supposed to "just work".

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue with outgoing and incoming email. I've read the chain of answers, nothing seems to work. My username and password work fine when I log into Comcast web email, and I'm using the same in Apple Mail, still no luck.

Email Expert

I don't know if this helps you------I looked at the setting for my incoming server using the IMAP in Mac Mail and Comcast------mine is set to port 143.  I have no problems with my Comcast account in Mail.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

When I posted this back in June, I was overseas, using a server that I had never used previously. After a few days the problem partially corrected itself, meaning the email would go into the outbox for a few seconds then send. I was having a lot of problems with pages loading and contacted the provider regarding that issue.

Once the problem loading pages in Safari stopped, I stopped having issues with the mail as well. Occasionally it would reappear, but then again work ok.

Upon returning home and connecting to the Comcast server I experienced no more failures. I chalked it up to a connection failure with the foreign ISP.

Frequent Visitor

Have tried all the port #'s, have tried Pop 3, Smtp.  None of them work.  Tried different combinations.  Still will not let me send emails.  Obtw, I also have a Mac.

Email Expert

Katlvr wrote:

Have tried all the port #'s, have tried Pop 3, Smtp.  None of them work.  Tried different combinations.  Still will not let me send emails.  Obtw, I also have a Mac.

First question-------can you send and recieve emails OK using only the Comcast webmail?  If so, then next question----------what are your current settings in Mac Mail?  Do you have SSL on for the smtp server, and password authentication?  Are you getting an error message when you try to send?  If so what does it say?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon