Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Outgoing email setup in Forte Agent 5.0

New Poster

Outgoing email setup in Forte Agent 5.0

I would like to use Forte Agent version 5.0 as an outgoing mail app from time-to-time.  I am having difficulty setting up the program to send email.  I have tried using smtp.com.net as the outgoing server with my user name and address, along with choosing SSL and port 587.  Nothing seems to work for me.  Anybody have any ideas?

Email Expert

Re: Outgoing email setup in Forte Agent 5.0

The correct outgoing server name is smtp.comcast.net  Try that and see if it works OK.  All the client settings for Comcast are here-----------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

I know that.  I was hopeful another "paying customer" had personal experience with the client I mentioned.  Apparently you aren't one of those.

Oh, and thanks for being so welcoming to this community forum.  I feel much more a part of the community, now.

Gold Problem Solver

JimJoeBob wrote: ... I am having difficulty setting up the program to send email. ... Nothing seems to work for me. ...

"Having difficulty" and "Nothing seems to work" doesn't give us much to go on.

What happens exactly when you try to set this up or when you try to send an email to yourself? Does it send? Do you receive it? Any error messages?

The more details you can provide, the better.

New Poster

"What happens exactly when you try to set this up or when you try to send an email to yourself? Does it send? Do you receive it? Any error messages?"

I am able to setup the client as instructed by following directions from both Comcast and Forte Inc.  I have tried to send myself an email.  It does not send, consequently, I do not receive it.  I have included an image showing the error message.

Thank you for a much more meaningful response to my initial question.

Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

JimJoeBob wrote: ... I have included an image showing the error message.

The image is only visible to me as a triangle-in-a-square placeholder. If you uploaded it to your "Hidden" folder, could you move it to your "Public" folder? You should be able to do that at http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/media/v4/gallerypage/user-id/5358921/tab/albums

Posting the error message in text form should work too.

Service Expert

JimJoeBob wrote:

I would like to use Forte Agent version 5.0 as an outgoing mail app from time-to-time.  I am having difficulty setting up the program to send email.  I have tried using smtp.com.net as the outgoing server with my user name and address, along with choosing SSL and port 587.  Nothing seems to work for me.  Anybody have any ideas?

Have you tried port 465 and SSL?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Yes, to both parts of your question.  But, a different error:

Service Expert

I tried Forte out once long ago, but don't remember much about it.  Looking at your image, it appears that it has a send test button.  If that's the case, have you tried to just send without using "test"?

And just for my own curiosity, why v5.0 and not a newer version?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

There is no "send test button," and I still use 5.0 for the same reason I have multiple XP machines still up and running: I like the way it works!  ;-)

Service Expert

Okay, so when it says send email testing it's actually just testing the settings.

Can you post a shot of the setup page where you put in the ports and servers?  That might help us go a bit further than with just the error box.

I liked XP and Vista, although lots of people didn't.  I never had a problem with either one.  I still have an Acer Aspire One with XP that works, although I seldom use it. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Again wrote:

Okay, so when it says send email testing it's actually just testing the settings.

Can you post a shot of the setup page where you put in the ports and servers?  That might help us go a bit further than with just the error box.

I liked XP and Vista, although lots of people didn't.  I never had a problem with either one.  I still have an Acer Aspire One with XP that works, although I seldom use it. 

No, when the task is shown as "send email testing," it actually attempts to send the email.  I have provided another snip to show the difference after changing the subject line from "testing" to "Testing."

Service Expert

I should have mentioned to block out any personal information like your name and email address.  You can go back and edit your post through Options in the upper right corner of your post.  Make the changes to your image, then upload the new edited image.  Remove your old image and then insert the new image.

I use Thunderbird and I just checked my settings.  I am using:

Incoming:

mail.comcast.net

port 995

SSL/TLS

Outgoing:

smtp.comcast.net

port 587

STARTTLS

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon