Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Outgoing email problem with Iphone 6 and OS8

ANSWERED
New Poster

Outgoing email problem with Iphone 6 and OS8

I am having issues wih my outgoing comcast email on both the new Iphone 6 and Ipad (the problem began once i downloaded OS 8). I can receive email but cannot send out.  I've been working with Apple and have triedfactory reset, deleting and establishing email account,  settings, ougoing mail server port, and more.  Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Re: Outgoing email problem with Iphone 6 and OS8

I figured it out - it now works!

1) Go into Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Comcast Mail

2) Select SMTP in the OUTGOING MAIL SERVER section

3) Press on the smtp.comcast.net in the PRIMARY SERVER section

4) There is a password there.  Re-type in your password there with the correct one.

Click done to get all the way out of settings.

Now when you access the Comcast email account, you'll be able to both receive and send.  Don't ask me why the outgoing mail server password got corrupted - I don't know.  But it apparently did during our iPhone 6 restore from iCloud when we set up our iPhones.

Hope this helps y'all out!!!

View answer in context
New Poster

I am experiencing the same exact problem.  iPhone 6 w/ iOS8, receives incoming email fine, but won't send.  I also noticed there is no "sent" folder for the account.

I've verified Comcast account settings with my older iPhone, and they are identical.  The older iPhone has no problem sending or receiving.

New Poster

Same here. Exact same working settings were transferred from the iPhone 5 to the 6. What's up, Comcast?

Bronze Problem Solver

Perhaps OS8 made changes that aren't compatible ya think?

Regular Visitor

I figured it out - it now works!

1) Go into Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Comcast Mail

2) Select SMTP in the OUTGOING MAIL SERVER section

3) Press on the smtp.comcast.net in the PRIMARY SERVER section

4) There is a password there.  Re-type in your password there with the correct one.

Click done to get all the way out of settings.

Now when you access the Comcast email account, you'll be able to both receive and send.  Don't ask me why the outgoing mail server password got corrupted - I don't know.  But it apparently did during our iPhone 6 restore from iCloud when we set up our iPhones.

Hope this helps y'all out!!!

New Poster

YES!! It works! Thanks much Smiley Happy
New Poster

That did not work for me. Any other suggestions? I am receiving my comcast emails just fine on my iPad, but not my new iPhone 6. I keep getting the error that says my user name or password is incorrect and I know it is not incorrect. 

New Poster

It didn't work for me either and I am in the same place.  It works on every other device but the 6 ios8 and i get UN and PW are incorrect.  Am calling comcast for I am sure a frustrating call....

New Poster

I put a call ticket into them a day ago, with no response. I have spoken with Apple and Apple says it has nothing to do with them, which I believe because I don't know how I am getting comcast emails in my outlook and my iPad, but not my iPhone 6. I had no issues on my iPhone 4 and the exact same data was transferred over. 

Regular Visitor

Please ensure you have both incoming mail server password and outgoing mail server password set correctly. There are 2 spaces for passwords (incoming and outgoing). If one is incorrect, you'll get that error message. If you are sure both password fields are entered correctly, then I'm not sure what is causing the problem.
New Poster

They both are correct, I have even changed my password and still nothing. 

New Poster

Awesome! This totally fixed it! Thanks
Regular Visitor

This worked for me.  Thank you!

New Poster

bheck1 wrote:

That did not work for me. Any other suggestions? I am receiving my comcast emails just fine on my iPad, but not my new iPhone 6. I keep getting the error that says my user name or password is incorrect and I know it is not incorrect. 

this is what worked for me..."change your email program settings to send email on port 587"

New Poster

Worked!  TY

New Poster

It worked for me too!  Spent the evening on the phone with Comcast and they didn't know about!  Thanks...

Regular Visitor

Yay!!! Thanks a bunch!!!

New Poster

I had the problem with my iPhone 6 a few weeks ago, and fixed it with the suggestion above, but tonight it reoccurred. I am getting the message about the username/password being incorrect yet I have done nothing to cause the password to change and not be accepted. It was working fine all day today and it suddenly stopped working again.

I am worried this is going to be an ongoing problem.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 14 in conversation