New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Outbound emails are not being sent

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Outbound emails are not being sent

I have had calls into customer service since Thursday without any resolution.

Whether by webmail, desktop client, or iOS client, Comcast outbound emails are not making their way to their recipients.  Messages are shown as sent in the "Sent" folder, but they never make it off the SMTP mail server, through the mail relay, or other.

Incoming emails are working just fine.

It does not matter whether the outbound address is back to comcast.net, gmail.com, yahoo.com, or other.  Messages are simply not being received after being sent.

I have been awaiting escallation on this issue, but I do not see a resolution in site.  Now informed this PM, that I be called sometime tomorrow.  4+ days and counting...

Accepted Solution

Re: Outbound emails are not being sent

Correct, and those strings can change, and I won't know that they've changed because it's based on reports from end users.  The point I'm trying to make is that someone reported messages that matched some part of your message as spam.  I can't tell you if that was someone at Comcast or another Cloudmark customer.  I'm suggesting that you audit your mailing lists to ensure your customers/recipients want to receive the messages.  It's entirely possible someone accidentally marked your messages as spam in large quantity (think, selecting all your messages to delete, and accidentially clicking Spam).  I can say that usually after we ask a string to be remediated, it typically does not return to a bad mark unless the traffic marked as spam is egregious.  If it happens again, send this UID a private message, and we'll be more than happy to help you resolve it.

View answer in context
Email Expert

Are you using a desktop email client like Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Mac Mail or some other?  Are you getting any kind of error message when you try to send?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Per my original post, the issue is present regardless of the client (https://web.mail.comcast.net/, or OS X Mail, iOS Mail, or other).

The issue is present for all outbound addresses/domains.  I do not bulk email on any of my comcast.net accounts.

There are no error messages, bounce-back messages, or other notices for sent messages.  All outbound messages appear to send normally (regardless of the client) and are present within the "Sent" folder.

The issue is found across all the comcast.net email account that I tried.

New Poster

I've been having the same problems and Xfinity live chat was unable to resolve them on Satuday. Was given a ticket # and am still waiting for the next level of technical support to contact me. This is on top of a 24 hour "system outage" on WEdnesday.

Frequent Visitor

On Friday, I was informed "Great! I have informed already our higher team about this matter. Our engineers are upgrading online security and feature."

On Saturday, I was also informed "...you will get the call in next 24-48 hours from our higher fix agency."

And for consistency of service today, I was once again informed that "Rest assured that we will resolved your concern today."

Official Employee

This should be resolved.  Your messages were reported as spam by recipients.  Please audit your mailing lists to ensure that recipients genuinely want to receive your messages.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I can confirm that our outbound messages are now being sent to recipients.

However, as this affected at least 4 of the 7 email accounts that we have with Comcast, I'd like to better understand how these all were affected by this spam filter:

• None of these accounts are or were used for bulk email, business, marketing, advertizing, or any other form of mass mailing.
  • 2 of the accounts above are rarely, if ever, used for sending messages and they were also affected by the spam filtering.
  • All 4 acounts noted above were affected by this spam filter at the same time.
  • All 4 accounts noted above are used by separate individuals who do not share (or very rarely share) the same recipients.
  • At no time have any of the accounts received warnings or notices indicating that they have been identified as spam.

A more detailed response from the Comcast email administration or ComcastAntiSpam member would be appreciated.

Official Employee

This is based on some content in the messages.  Please remember that "spam" is in the eye of the receiver.  So while you may not consider it "bulk", someone else may decide otherwise and mark it as spam.  Comcast's email filters largely trigger on user feedback, so that may be why it was picked up as spam.  Also note, we're a customer of Cloudmark, so spam reports at another Cloudmark customer from their users can have an impact on our filters.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I'm sorry, but your response does not explain why all 4 email accounts were affected at the same time (including one account that does not send messages).

Official Employee

They must have had some common content in the messages they were testing.  That could be any number of strings in a message, phrases, domains, phone numbers, etc.  Sometimes more than one will match.  I only looked at the account tied to your forums posting, so that's the only one I could comment on.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Well, it was my understanding, from a Friday conversation with your tech support analyst, that there were security controls and settings that were being updated within Comcast.  I was not informed by which team.

As I noted earlier, 2 of the affected accounts were not used for sending messages; so there is no content that could have served as a match for any filter.

Official Employee

I can't comment on what the tech said.  I wasn't privy to that conversation.  There are many different groups that alter security controls throughout a week.  We made some changes last week, but that wouldn't have resulted in what you were seeing.

So, if they weren't used for sending, how are you sure they were being filtered?  Did you test send to validate, or were they also being filtered on inbound?  And you're 100% sure there was no common content?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I, of course, can not be 100% sure because I do not have the supporting logs on filter information to make an assessment of the issue.

I tested all 4 accounts as part of my trouble shooting efforts.  In that process, I started with my account first and then subsequently my wife's account.  When those accounts were found to not be working.  I attempted to send on the 2 other accounts (i.e.  passive accounts) to determine if the issue was wide-spread.  Upon identifying that the issue was wide-spread, I contacted Comcast for additional support.

The accounts were also tested for inbound and found to be functioning normally (as validated by the Comcast analyst on Friday/Saturday).

I would presume, but perhaps I am wrong, that there are some log entries within your IronPort (or other) filtering service that could identify what element(s) were causing the issue for me.  As 2 of these accounts are rarely (as in perhaps 4 messages in the last 6 months) used for sending messages, I can not speak to what those elements may be (other than they are tied to my primary account).

Forgive me; but because I do not have a cause, it is difficult (if not impossible) for me to prevent it from happening in the future.  Referencing that it could be "any number of strings in a message, phrases, domains, phone numbers, etc." only further exasperates this effort.

Official Employee

Correct, and those strings can change, and I won't know that they've changed because it's based on reports from end users.  The point I'm trying to make is that someone reported messages that matched some part of your message as spam.  I can't tell you if that was someone at Comcast or another Cloudmark customer.  I'm suggesting that you audit your mailing lists to ensure your customers/recipients want to receive the messages.  It's entirely possible someone accidentally marked your messages as spam in large quantity (think, selecting all your messages to delete, and accidentially clicking Spam).  I can say that usually after we ask a string to be remediated, it typically does not return to a bad mark unless the traffic marked as spam is egregious.  If it happens again, send this UID a private message, and we'll be more than happy to help you resolve it.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I appreciate your time and feedback in providing responses to these inquiries.

As I noted earlier, these are all family/personal email accounts, they typically do not have common recipients (other than to each other), and do not use mailing lists.  Some of the addresses only serve to hold incoming messages from subscription services and, as such, do not send outbound messages.

In the end I'll just have to shrug and chalk it up to solar flares or something.

Thanks again.