members

online now

discussions

OUTLOOK 2003(POP3) server issues

Regular Visitor

OUTLOOK 2003(POP3) server issues

WIN XP SP3 using OUTLOOK2003 with a POP3 account---

My email STOPPED working Tuesday 9/1

I can access email thru the XFINITY web site but I continually get errors when usiing OUTLOOK

OUTLOOK was working perfectly up to the first of September---What's changed??????

PS- I'm using the email account settings as detailed in the note on this forum......

PSS- a Customer Service chat ended with me being advised to contact MICROSOFT

error.gif
error_2.gif
error.gif
Regular Visitor

Re: OUTLOOK 2003(POP3) server issues

I've seem to have solved this---

Monday of this week I finally logged into the XFINITY web site...

Don't ask ....

I entered my email addy and a NEW PASSWORD and got to my Xfinity page....

That was the problem----OUTLOOK MUST have the same password as that needed for the web page access... Once I changed the OUTLOOK password to that used for the XFINITY web access everything worked.... Who knew!

Frequent Visitor

I have similar issues and receive the same error statement as the OP.  I can send email through my Outlook 2003 client, but not receive them.  The problem started on ~Aug. 25.

My receive settings are as follows:

Incoming POP3 server - mail.comcast.net / 995 / Requires SSL

I am using Win7 - 64-bit.

I have no problems receiving emails through my cellphone.  My wife has the same issue with her Comcast email, using the same client and receive settings.

I did have a lengthy Chat with Comcast support.  That amounted to just added frustration on my part, as he seemed more interested in having me create and use an IMAP account than in troubleshooting the server issue.  He did promise that a second tier support person would contact me in 24-72 hours.  That never happened.

Ultimately I relented and created IMAP email accounts in Outlook, but I personally think that this leaves a lot to be desired compared to POP3 - just count the steps needed to delete a message from your Inbox.

So, here we sit waiting for Comcast/Xfinity to fess up to and fix their issue or provide a satisfactory workaround (which IMAP is not).  I've been building my own pcs for years and know enough about computers to recognize when I could have an issue - and this is not one of them.

Gold Problem Solver

Frequent Visitor

I don't believe that the issue is Outlook 2003 related.  I have been using that email client for probably 10 years and iPV6 has been set on my network adapter since I built this computer several years ago.  The Receive problem only started for me on 8/25/15.  In addition, IMAP does work which I don't believe it would if iPV6 or Outlook 2003 were the problem.

What I suspect is that Comcast changed servers for email (at least on their send side) and that the server is not configured properly for either iPV6 or POP3, or both.

I can force POP3 to work by changing the server name from "mail.comcast.net" to "68.87.20.9" which I determined by using "nslookup mail.comcast.net".  However, each time Outlook checks for my incoming mail, I get a certificate related warning.

I will try the unchecking of iPV6 in my adapter settings, but as others have stated this is not a proper long term fix, as some sites may depend upon it.  I would have hoped that Comcast would take ownership of this problem since many contributors to both threads are obviously knowledgeable and often have nothing in common (eg., multiple clients involved) other than their email failures.

Gold Problem Solver

lsimpkins wrote: ... I would have hoped that Comcast would take ownership of this problem ...

How would Comcast go about fixing a Microsoft program? Whatever else may be going on, Outlook 2003 has demonstrated bugs that MS appears to have no intention of fixing. This end of life, no longer supported, 12 year old program should be replaced with something newer and, one would hope, less buggy.

Frequent Visitor

And how would Outlook be to blame here?  As I noted, both the Outlook client and IPv6 have not changed on my pc.  By your own statement, Outlook 2003 has not been supported or changed in years.  Yet, it has worked in this configuration for years. 

Changing the email server in the account settings (2 hours ago) as noted in my last post made POP3 usable.  I did NOT change Outlook 2003 in any other way and have not tinkered with IPv6 settings (yet).  The only thing that changed was the Comcast server that I was connecting to.

MS isn't to blame for everything that happens to a pc.

Networking Expert

lsimpkins wrote:

And how would Outlook be to blame here?  As I noted, both the Outlook client and IPv6 have not changed on my pc.  By your own statement, Outlook 2003 has not been supported or changed in years.  Yet, it has worked in this configuration for years. 

Changing the email server in the account settings (2 hours ago) as noted in my last post made POP3 usable.  I did NOT change Outlook 2003 in any other way and have not tinkered with IPv6 settings (yet).  The only thing that changed was the Comcast server that I was connecting to.

MS isn't to blame for everything that happens to a pc.

Have your IPv6 settings been working correctly? Did you perform IPv6 tests to make sure your IPv6 connection to the Internet was working? What kind of Comcast modem/gateway do you have? It is possible it received a firmware update that actually made IPv6 functional, when it was not fully functional before (i.e. it may have been working on your internal network, but not for Internet access). If that is the case, once Internet IPv6 connectivity was established, Outlook 2003 might stiop working because it could not resolve the name of the Comcast mail server to it's IPv6 address corrctly. Replacing the server name with a IPv4 address would fix this. These are exactly the symptopms of Outlook 2003 failure with IPv6 we have seen before, and the same method was used to resolve them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't work for Comcast...

Help us to help you!!
- respond to requests for info
- post back if your issue is resolved
- mark appropriate posts as solutions

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

IPv6Capture.JPG

In addition, the same test connected correctly to more than 30 sites around the world. 

I am using a Motorola SBG6782AC  modem/router which I own.  Nothing has changed on it, either.  It reports the following regarding IPv6:

IPv6Capture2.JPG

Bronze Problem Solver

Try two things to see if either fixes.  And yes it is a known issue with the way outlook 2003 handles IPV6 so MS would need to fix it.

Set the computer networking to prefer IPV4 over IPV6.  If you don't know how to do that then MS has a Program that will do it for you.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929852

Also with pop if port 995 does not work you can use 110 and see if it works.

Frequent Visitor

Changing to port 110 made no difference.  So I ran the MS Fix It program to prefer IPv4 over IPv6.  This seems to have fixed the problem.  I prefer setting v4 as preferred to completely disabling v6 through my network adapter's configuration.

So, being somewhat of a detective (I ran a Failure Analysis lab for years), I still see most of the evidence pointing toward some change in the network beyond my control.  I have made no configuration changes to Outlook, my network adapter, or my modem.  I do not permit any automatic updates to any of my software or hardware configurations and there have been none.  So I still sit here wondering what happened.

I appreciate the help you have provided and if you have any further suggestions for issues to investigate, I will gladly do so.  Also, if you have any concerns over my current IP setup (v4 preferred over v6) or known downsides, please let me know.

New Poster

I have had the same problems and same frustrations and I use Outlook 2010 and my wife uses Outlook 2007.  They blamed MS so I spent two hours on the phone with MS troubleshooting...still nothing.  So I'm starting a rant on FaceBook and Twitter.  I was on the phone holding for Comcast Second tier help for 6 hours!!  Determined they would not win the battle...they did!  When I got a tech the next day and threated to cancel my comcast account the response was, "Well, sir, if that's what you think you need to do."  I'm appalled at such shi**& customer service.  If I ran my business like this, I wouldn't last a week!!  Thanks for the help, I'll keep trying...

Bronze Problem Solver

Setting the network adapter to prefer IPV4 over IPV6 should not have any downside.  When you use networking it will try to use IPV4 first and if that isn't available for what you are using it will then connect IPV6 if that is what is being used. So if it fixes your issue then I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as the internet goes, I don't think there are currently any IPV6 only sites but there may be.