Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Not getting all of my email

New Poster

Not getting all of my email

I recently turned on spam filtering.  Once I did that I seemed to be missing several emails, even those that came from professional offices and clearly not spam.  I went in and turned off the spam filter, but lately am hardly receiving any email. 

Prior to this I was getting a lot of spam.  I went through my inbox and marked several emails as spam.  In marking an email as spam, does this add the sender to a blacklist of sorts, and would that be the reason I am seeing less of the spam mail as well? 

I am job searching and want to make sure that I am not missing important emails, so even some of the junk mail at this point may be something I want to see.  Any suggestions?

Email Expert

Re: Not getting all of my email

Turning on the Spam filter would not normally suddenly start blocking legitimate emails unless there has been a prior issue of spam from that particular domain, or block of IP addresses or something.  Are the missing emails showing up in your Spam folder?  If so, start marking them as "Not Spam".  It takes time to train the filters as to what you consider to be junk or not.  Are the senders getting any kind of error message when they send to you?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

The emails are not showing up in my spam mail box.  When I turned on the spam filter, I thought I did check send to spam.  That is when I noticed the slowing of emails coming in and had a few calls asking why I didn't respond to emails that I never received. 

I did go back in and turn the spam filter off.  Yesterday, I received an email that was forwarded a second time and saw that she did in fact send it earlier in the day but It was never received the first time.  And, today as well I've had very few emails. 

If I had inadvertently marked something as spam and then turned the spam filter off, would it still be treated as spam going forward?

Thanks for your help.

Gold Problem Solver

stolomeo wrote: ... In marking an email as spam, does this add the sender to a blacklist of sorts ...

No. Since sender addresses are almost always faked, one would only be treated as a spam marker if it was used and reported many, many times. One report won't do it.

... If I had inadvertently marked something as spam and then turned the spam filter off, would it still be treated as spam going forward? ...

For the reason just mentioned, no. It takes many reports for the filtering software to identify the "spammy" message elements and to begin using them. Also, the spam filters are common to all customers. Your email is tested for spam in the same way as every other Comcast customer's email.

Have you talked to Comcast Security Assurance? They manage spam filtering and might be able to help you with this, if you can get past the first-line reps. Please call them at 1-888-565-4329 (from http://constantguard.comcast.net/dedicated-support/contacts#s5_nav).