Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Not Spam -- tab in my email spam folder

Frequent Visitor

Not Spam -- tab in my email spam folder

I open my comcast email folder and the tab changes to  "Not Spam". I have several questions about HOW Comcast determines a message IS Spam.

1.   There does not seem to be any information published about how the Comcast Spam filter works.  I see messages appear in the Spam folder that clearly are not Spam and the same message has been allowed several times previously.   Then it will be allowed the next several times.  WHY? These are usually, regularity received "news letters"
  2. I highlight/select one of these mesages and click  "Not Spam".  The message is moved from the "Spam" folder back to the "Inbox " folder- where it should be. 

My questions about  "Not Spam"

1.  When I select the message in the spam folder, that I want to declare "Not Spam", is there a way to find out what triggered Comcast to call it Spam?
  2. When I select the message AND then click "Not Spam" AND the message is moved to the "Inbox".  Does Comcast pace the message "From" information on a list so that is knows the message is "Not Spam"?  If it does, where is the list and how can I view the list?  IF not,  Why?  Clearly, I have "told" Comcast this message is "Not Spam" and messages with the same (identical) "From" address are also "Not Spam".

Thanks for any information or links.

Official Employee

Re: Not Spam -- tab in my email spam folder

Let me try to answer these in order:

A-1: The spam filter is largely based on reports from users like yourself.  There are some other circumstances such as DMARC that can cause a message to be marked as spam.  The feedback from reports is aggregated and used to attempt to determine if a message is spam based on various characteristics and elements of the message.

A-2: I'm not sure there's a question here.

B-1: There is, yes, but it's not something that would be easily deciphered.  If you have a particular example, send me a PM, and I'll see what information we can get from that.

B-2: Not yet, but this is a project that we'd like to complete.  We understand that would make things easier for our customers, and help with accuracy with messages in your inbox.

For B-2, I'm not certain, but you might be able to use a filter in your webmail to override this.  Ultimately, reporting it as Not Spam is the best thing to do.  More Spam/Not-Spam reports help train the filters.  I don't work with the webmail directly.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Email Expert

ComcastAntiSpam wrote:

Let me try to answer these in order:

------------------------------------ 

For B-2, I'm not certain, but you might be able to use a filter in your webmail to override this.  Ultimately, reporting it as Not Spam is the best thing to do.  More Spam/Not-Spam reports help train the filters.  I don't work with the webmail directly.

I have been under the impression that incoming emails hit the spam filters before they get to any individual account filters the user may have set up.  Is that not the case?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

First --- Thanks to ComcastAntiSpam and Latoque for their replies.

If I am interpreting the ComcastAntiSpam A1 reply to quote:. " The spam filter is largely based on reports from users like yourself.  ........ The feedback from reports is aggregated and used to attempt to determine if a message is spam based on various characteristics and elements of the message"  Are you saying the Comcast spam "filter", in effect, is aggregating inputs from hundreds of Comcast email accounts to determine if a specific mail should be declared "spam"?  If that is the real algorithm, it makes no sense to call it a "Spam filter".  Why?  What I,

as an individual user, mark a message in my "inbox " as spam is spam -an unwanted email- TO ME.  The same identical message; advertisements , newsletters, social media mass mailings, may or may not be spam to other Comcast users.  That may explain why a daily, technical (non political) newsletter I receive gets randomly routed to the spam folder, about 2% of the time.  Comcast, please correct me if I am using the wrong interpretation and supply additional on the exact algorithm your "spam filter is using"

B-1 Reply.   My comment above may help explain the answer, to quote " There is, yes, but it's not something that would be easily deciphered".  If there is a lot of "voting" by hundreds of Comcast email users, on a single message, I can see how there would not be an easy answer.

B-2 Reply.  My suggestion; Comcast is working on the wrong "project" if you continue to call it a "spam filter".  You will not make it more accurate because the "voting" will keep changing if the same individual message is declared spam/not spam.  I suggest Comcast invest your time and effort to make a true spam filter.  If I mark a message in my inbox or other folder, as "spam", move (archive) that message to the "SPAM" folder and place the message "FROM" header on a "SPAM " list that automatically routes incoming messages on the "SPAM " list to the "Spam " folder. You can add some user controls e.g.  Make the "SPAM " list available and editable, notify the user that a message has been routed to the "SPAM" folder, etc.

The above suggestion is ESPECIALLY relevant if the comment by Latoque is correct.  My suggestion is essentially the same as an "individual account" filter that I can set up.  But if messages pass through the present "Comcast Spam" filter first, then "individual account" filters will not function as expected --message may or may not still be in the " inbox".

Please reply to Latoque request: “I have been under the impression that incoming emails hit the spam filters before they get to any individual account filters the user may have set up.  Is that not the case?

Email Expert

User input is indeed the main driving factor in fine-tuning junk mail filtering.  This is nothing peculiar to Comcast, but is the same for any email provider. They also use most of the same anti-spam services like Spamhaus that the other major email providers use. I have three Comcast accounts in use right now.  None of them ever get any spam.  I have a Yahoo account that gets truckloads of it thrown into the Spam folder every day.  My Outlook.com account gets a fair amount of it.  I never get any in my two iCloud accounts, nor do  I see any in my Mail.com account.  I will rarely get one or two in my two Gmail accounts.  

You should find these of interest-------------

http://ask-leo.com/im_drowning_in_spam_what_can_i_do.html

and

https://askleo.com/stopping-spam-harder-think/?awt_l=E37kF&awt_m=In.RoL7ub3dfbL

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Official Employee

The spam filters are run before the personal filters, but if you have your spam foldering turned on, I believe those personal filters run after the message is deposited in your Spam/Junk folder.  So, you may be able to say something along the lines of "when a message comes to Junk, and is From XYZ, put in Inbox".  This is a fair bit of speculation on my part as that is not my primary platform, but it's something to look into.  Again, the proper way to do this is by reporting things as Not Spam so that the filters have more data for training.  I'll take a look at your PM now.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

ComcastAntiSpam wrote: ... it's something to look into. ...

Indeed it is.

My experience is that filters only operate on messages in the Inbox. Spam goes directly to the Spam folder and is not seen by any filters.

The only way I know of to use filters on spam is to turn off spam filtering so spam messages stay in the Inbox. Not recommended.