Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Non-delivery of outgoing email with attachment

Frequent Visitor

Non-delivery of outgoing email with attachment

In the past week I have started to have problems sending email with an attachment or with a web address (URL) in the body of the email. I don't send spam and I do not send large numbers of email per day. My sent folder shows the email has been sent (not sitting in my outbox). I do not get a bounce back error message from Comcast. I have read about Comcast "black holing" email that has been sent by its customers if the system thinks the email message is spam, but I can't get an answer from anyone at Comcast as to how to solve this probelm. I use Windows Live Mail as my email program. At times I work from home and need to send an email with an attchment such as a small PDF (under 50K) or sometimes a URL in the message body that is simply a safe website (nothing dangerous). I seems ridiculous that Comcast can't tell me what is happening.

Tags (1)
Email Expert

Re: Non-delivery of outgoing email with attachment

Does the same thing happen if you try sending the email from the Comcast webmail interface and not using Windows Live Mail?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Sorry for the late response to your question but I never received a notification from Comcast that my initial post had been replied to -- no surprise there.

I did not try sending from my Comcast email account. However, EarthLink is my web hosting provider, and the email address I use is associated with my website's domain name, so I can log into an EarthLink 'control panel' page and access my domain name email account from that interface. When I do that, I can send the very same email with attachment (the one that Comcast 'black holes' and doesn't deliver) and it is delivered to the recipient without a problem. Obviously, using the EarthLink email interface eliminates sending outgoing mail through "smtp.comcast.net" so I think that pretty much singles out Comcast's outgoing mail server(s) as the problem.

Sadly, the biggest problem is Comcast itself, which has been absolutely no help and I've given up on support because I'm tired of someone who can barely speak English asking me over and over to check my email configuration port settings.

Email Expert

If the Earthlink interface is not using the Comcast outgoing server, then I would think the issue is not with Comcast.  Again, sign into the Comcast webmail UI with only your browser and try sending an email with that signature to see if it goes out OK.

Also, you should have gotten notice of my response and this one if you set your forum preferences to automatically subscribe to threads you participate in.  Did you do that?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

The exact same email with attachment sent through the EarthLink email interface is handled by an outbound mail server such as: mail134c38.carrierzone.com. An outgoing email sent through Comast will be handled by a server such as: resqmta-ch2-01v.sys.comcast.net. So, if the carrierzone mail server delivers my email without a probelm, but the Comcast server does not, why would you think the problem is not with Comcast?

Service Expert

@paperman12 wrote:

The exact same email with attachment sent through the EarthLink email interface is handled by an outbound mail server such as: mail134c38.carrierzone.com. An outgoing email sent through Comast will be handled by a server such as: resqmta-ch2-01v.sys.comcast.net. So, if the carrierzone mail server delivers my email without a probelm, but the Comcast server does not, why would you think the problem is not with Comcast?

Unless you try sending that email with attachment from the webmail interface, we'll never know......

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Ok, 5 minutes ago I sent the email out using my browser-based email program within Comcast (myname@comcast.net) to one of my email accounts associated with my website. As I type this message, the email has not arrived. 

Frequent Visitor

I believe that Comcast's server(s) that handle my outgoing mail is flagging certain emails as spam. The problems I'm having with outbound mail is limited to just a few emails. 99% makes it out and gets to its intended destination. I don't send bulk and seldom have more than 2 recipients cc'd in an email. I work from home on some days and being able to rely ion my outbound emails being deliverd is important.

It's been 10 minutes now and still no email from my browser-based Comcast email program.

Contributor

I am having the same problem, but it is with my Comcast webmail. Just posted it a few minutes ago.

Email Expert

@paperman12 wrote:

I believe that Comcast's server(s) that handle my outgoing mail is flagging certain emails as spam. The problems I'm having with outbound mail is limited to just a few emails. 99% makes it out and gets to its intended destination. I don't send bulk and seldom have more than 2 recipients cc'd in an email. I work from home on some days and being able to rely ion my outbound emails being deliverd is important.

It's been 10 minutes now and still no email from my browser-based Comcast email program.

Then you need to call Comcast security and determine if there is a blocking issue because of something in the outgoing emails-------------------

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks, I'll try them.

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies