Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

No Emails Left On Server

ANSWERED
Regular Contributor

No Emails Left On Server

Using Windows Mail and various Android Tablets and Phones to retreive my email there was always a copy left on the Xfinity server.

With no changes from my end after the email update on Xfinity there are no copies left on the server as before.

I use IMAP and have for ever.  I know this is the way IMAP is supposed to work in that if I check it on one device it is removed from the

other devices.  Before there was always a copy left on the server.  There is no where on my various devices including Windows Mail

to tick a box to leave a copy on the server.

Is there a solution to this?

Accepted Solution

Re: No Emails Left On Server

Ok, following along on this thread I think I might be able to explain.

Before you were migrated to the new email you had your secondary accounts (or external accounts) set up in Xfinity Connect. 

When you were migrated, through an abundance of caution in not wanting to lose your mail, archive  folders of your external accounts are created and placed in the My Folders section with the name of the account. This stores any email that was there during the migration at the time. 

During the migration your external accounts are then moved to the bottom under the Add New Accounts and from there you can access them live and in real time (after you reauthenticate with the password for those accounts) seeing any mail that is there and getting any new email that arrives.

It IS possible that you will see duplication between the archived folder and the external account. 

If you are comfortable that all the mail you are looking for is located in the live externall account then you can delete the archive folder of the same name. 

Hope that makes sense.

View answer in context
Email Expert

In IMAP, the original stays on the server unless it's removed by you.  There is no setting to "leave a copy on the server" because it doesn't download it and delete it as is the case with POP3.  So it sounds like at least one device is using POP3 and deleting the messages.  POP does have the "leave a copy" feature as an option in whatever client you are using.  But it has to be turned on.  The default is that it will delete the message after downloading it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Just to be sure I rechecked both S5s and both Tab 4s and I have not set up email on either of the Kindle Fires. No POP. Also checked on my Winsows Mail on my laptop.
As I stated this only happened after the new email was incorporated by Xfinity. Still looking.
Email Expert

Then the next thing I would suggest is that you change your password.  Vanishing emails can be a sign of a malware infection or a compromised account.  Run a scan of your system with your A/V software.  If all devices are using IMAP your emails should stay on the server until you delete them yourself.  After that, you should call Comcast security and ask them to look at the account.

Comcast Customer Security Assurance-------------------

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week)

1 - 888-565-4329

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I have five email accounts, so changing the PWs would be rather tedious.  I also feel confident in my security on all devices.

Going to spend a little more time investigating this situation before making in changes. With all the problems people are having with the new email system it seems to much of a coincidence.  Thanks for the suggestions, will stay in contact.

Regular Contributor

ScreenShot003.jpgI got on  Went to the Xfinity email and right clicked on the main trash folder at the top left and choose recover deleted emails.  This is what I got.

ScreenShot003.jpg
Regular Contributor

Lo and behold emails started showing up on my Xfinity emal page.  They show up in the bottom folders under the "Add mail account".  I kept wondering

why some test emails I sent to my primary account (which is not listed) would show up im the top "Inbox" .  Finally dawned on me that is my primary email

that was used to set up the subaccounts. It has it listed at the top right when I open the Xfinity email page.

What are the email accounts under the "My Folders" for and are they necessary,ScreenShot003.jpg

Email Expert

Anything appearing under "My folders" would be local folders you created for that particular account.  The "Add mail account" section is a mail-fetcher.  Kind of a wannabe desktop client.  It is intended to let you set up external email accounts you might have from other email providers like Gmail, Yahoo, Mail.com and so on.  I also have two of my Comcast accounts set up in it.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

I remember clicking on the names for the accounts when the new Xfinity email was introduced and it went through

some kind of action then the various folders appeared under each addy. 

Just wonder why my emails appear in these folders and not in the ones under (My Folders)?  For sake of neatness

could I delete "My Folders" without any repercussions?

PS-Is there any way to change my thread notification email.  I have tried numerous times and do the verification

procedure and click on the link they send me and it always gives me an error.  If you could steer me to the right

place I would like to try one more time.

Regular Contributor

I thought the "My Folders" was opening expanded as a default but they are not so that part of my question can be ignored.

Email Expert

deke58 wrote:

I thought the "My Folders" was opening expanded as a default but they are not so that part of my question can be ignored.

I'm going to do something I normally wouldn't do.  I'm going to ask you to send me a private message with a screenshot of your Inbox folder pane, but without redacting anything.  I would like to see just what you are looking at.  If you are willing to do that just hover your mouse on my name and then click on "Send Message".

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Email Expert

OK I have read your PMs to me with the screenshots, and I see what happened.  This is for the benefit of any others reading this that may encounter the same phenomenon.  It looks to me like you had 4 other accounts enabled in the "Add mail account" section, and they were also created as just folders under "My folders".  So I am escalating this to the forum admins to see if we can find out just how that happened.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Would it be alright to delete the folders under "My Folders" are should I wait?

I don't have anything in them.  I truthfully don't use Xfinity email except for a kind of backup.

I use Windows Mail and the defaults on my cell and tablets.

Thanks again for your forbearance on this thread.  Will see what you find out..

Email Expert

I would ask you to hold off deleting them.  I want to make sure the admins see what we discussed including the folders since they will have the ability to see your account.  So lets see who responds first.  OK?  I'm  really curious to see what caused this to happen.  Sooner or later someone else will probably experience the same thing.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Ok, following along on this thread I think I might be able to explain.

Before you were migrated to the new email you had your secondary accounts (or external accounts) set up in Xfinity Connect. 

When you were migrated, through an abundance of caution in not wanting to lose your mail, archive  folders of your external accounts are created and placed in the My Folders section with the name of the account. This stores any email that was there during the migration at the time. 

During the migration your external accounts are then moved to the bottom under the Add New Accounts and from there you can access them live and in real time (after you reauthenticate with the password for those accounts) seeing any mail that is there and getting any new email that arrives.

It IS possible that you will see duplication between the archived folder and the external account. 

If you are comfortable that all the mail you are looking for is located in the live externall account then you can delete the archive folder of the same name. 

Hope that makes sense.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Thanks to Latoque and ComcastBrett I am probably the most knowlegeable person in my household. LOL

CB that explanation makes all the sense in the world.  When I first clicked on the bottom accounts I had

to reenter my password on each one.  Didn't start getting email to just recently but that is fine.

Thanks again to both of you and I deleted the My Folders folders and assume if I need to add a folder for

archive purposes I can do it under there are under the ones under the external accounts.

Regular Contributor

One quick question.  How do I get the notification on the email icon on my main Xfinity page of the number of new emails?

Official Employee

Hi, deke58 - It should pop up automatically, what browser do you use? 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

IE11

Official Employee

@deke58 - Do you experience the same issue with other browsers like Chrome or Firefox? We had some issues with the e-mail indicator recently but it should be resolved by now.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

I tried opening it on Chrome on my Tab4 and no numbers.  I only have IE for my W10 laptop.

Will do some more checking tomorrow as I am watching Blade Runner 2049.

Official Employee

@deke58 - Got you, no rush at all. P.S. Blade Runner 2049 should be an awesome movie. Enjoy!

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Morning Ella

Great movie.

I tried the email on Chrome and Edge on my W10 laptop and there were no notifiations.  This is really no biggy

and I mostly use Windows Mail for reading most of my mail.  It was nice to look at that icon for a quick update

on any mail.  I will keep tabs on this just in cast there is a new cure.  I found your old October forum discussion

about this while searching google.

Thanks again.

Official Employee

@deke58 - I didn't get any notifications in IE11 and Firefox on my work PC (Win 10) but I got it in Chrome. I will ask several teams to see if this issue is not completely resolved and I will update this thread as soon as I get an answer. It's a nice feature and it should work as expected. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

@deke58 - I got a reply that there are instances of the notification not talking to our back end, but they are random and browser independent. I still get notifications in Chrome and Firefox started working as well. I don't have any extensions and all my settings are set by default. Do you have any extensions or modified settings? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

None that I know of.

Official Employee

@deke58 - Do you get notifications in general after you sign in for the first time during the day? The red circle with a number of unread messages. You have to be signed in order to see it.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Used to but not anymore.

Official Employee

@deke58 - If I get any particular information about what can cause it - I will let you know. Since I can't duplicate the issue on my end - I can't really escalate it further. But as I mentioned before - there are known issues and we are working on the resolution.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

Thanksm
Official Employee

@deke58 - I haven't received any updates. If we get any particular information - we will announce it by posting a new public thread. At the same time, if you get any questions or notice any changes with the email/email notification please feel free to send me a private message.  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I am having a problem that seems similar to the one being discussed but not exactly.  I use Outlook 2013 as my e-mail client.  In the past copies of all e-mails would remain on the server so I could access them via the website (as opposed to through Outlook).  About a week ago the Comcast web server quite keeping copies of my e-mails on the serve after they were downloaded into Outlook.  Per Comcast's default I am using an IMAP account (which I am told is supposed to leave a copy on the server by default).  I know that if I was using a POP3 account (which Comcast told me not to use) there was a setting to leave a copy of a downloaded e-mail on the server, but that option is not available when you are using an IMAP account (at least it does not show up anywhere in the account settings [even under "More Settings," "Advanced" tab]).  I have talked with Comcast Support over the phone and they just tell me to call Microsoft and that it is an Outlook problem (but that really can't be the case because it worked fine a week ago).  I would very much appreciate some feedback.  Thanks.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation