ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

New iMac can't send email

Hello: New iMac and can onlky recevie email but not send from Mail 9.2

Any help woud be appricated 

Accepted Solution

Re: New iMac can't send email

lydapeters wrote:

I have the same problem using macbook pro. However, I've been using Mail 8.2 for a number of years without this problem. Last week I could no longer send comcast email but can still receive comcast emails. When I send, it shows comcast "offline" and defaults to my gmail account. My port was 993 Use SSL. I changed it to Port 587 Use SSL and sent a test email to myself. It didn't fix the problem.

Should I delete the account and make a new one?

If I do this, I don't want to loose the emails I have. They are important. Will I loose them?

What other ideas do you have since comcast is my primary email address?

Port 993 is an IMAP port so you should not lose any emails if you remove the account - although I don't believe this will be necessary to do.  Try the following steps...

1. Check your incoming email settings to mimic what you see below. Make sure you have the correct incoming port of 993 and the SSL box checked.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 7.56.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-05 at 7.56.38 AM.png

2. Verify your SMTP settings by clicking the dropdown under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) and choosing Edit SMTP Server List... You'll see the following screen - make sure your settings match what you see below. Click OK to save these settings.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 8.06.55 AM.png

3. Close the Preferences window and you'll be asked to save your changes. Click OK.

4. In the Window menu within Mail, choose the Connection Doctor. It will automatically start checking the settings for your all enabled email accounts. When complete, you should get all green status indicating Mail was able to successfully connect to both the sending and receiving hostnames.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 8.10.39 AM.png

** If you do not receive a green status indicator next to either IMAP or SMTP, choose Log Connection Activity, and click the Check Again button (both are in the lower-right corner in the snap above). After it fails again, click the Show Logs button and send me your logs via a private message so I can further assist.

Please let me know if any of this information is helpful or you are successful in resolving the issue.

View answer in context
Official Employee

tuffy1314 wrote:

Hello: New iMac and can onlky recevie email but not send from Mail 9.2

Any help woud be appricated 

Are you using your Comcast account with the Mail app? If so, can you tell us if you've tried these SMTP settings below?

• Outgoing Mail Server Name: smtp.comcast.net
  • Outgoing Mail Server Port Number: 587
  • SSL Encryption: enabled/checked
  • Authentication: XFINITY email address and Password required

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

I have the same problem using macbook pro. However, I've been using Mail 8.2 for a number of years without this problem. Last week I could no longer send comcast email but can still receive comcast emails. When I send, it shows comcast "offline" and defaults to my gmail account. My port was 993 Use SSL. I changed it to Port 587 Use SSL and sent a test email to myself. It didn't fix the problem.

If I do this, I don't want to loose the emails I have. They are important. Will I loose them?

Official Employee

lydapeters wrote:

Port 993 is an IMAP port so you should not lose any emails if you remove the account - although I don't believe this will be necessary to do.  Try the following steps...

1. Check your incoming email settings to mimic what you see below. Make sure you have the correct incoming port of 993 and the SSL box checked.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 7.56.47 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-01-05 at 7.56.38 AM.png

2. Verify your SMTP settings by clicking the dropdown under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) and choosing Edit SMTP Server List... You'll see the following screen - make sure your settings match what you see below. Click OK to save these settings.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 8.06.55 AM.png

3. Close the Preferences window and you'll be asked to save your changes. Click OK.

4. In the Window menu within Mail, choose the Connection Doctor. It will automatically start checking the settings for your all enabled email accounts. When complete, you should get all green status indicating Mail was able to successfully connect to both the sending and receiving hostnames.

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 8.10.39 AM.png

** If you do not receive a green status indicator next to either IMAP or SMTP, choose Log Connection Activity, and click the Check Again button (both are in the lower-right corner in the snap above). After it fails again, click the Show Logs button and send me your logs via a private message so I can further assist.

Please let me know if any of this information is helpful or you are successful in resolving the issue.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

John ... Now I am having a problem getting to the windows that you show. I did at one point but can't seem to get there now. Here are the two windows that I see after I open Internet Accounts > Comcast mail > Advanced.

How do I get to the screen that displays all 3 - Account Information | Mailbox Behaviors | Advanced?

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 8.48.33 AM.png
Official Employee

lydapeters wrote:

How do I get to the screen that displays all 3 - Account Information | Mailbox Behaviors | Advanced?

You'll want to perform the steps I've outlined above in the Mail app. Looks like you're in System Preferences --> Internet Accounts.

I find it's much easier to tweak settings for mail accounts from within Mail. You can't to get to some of the finer settings from within SysPrefs.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Found the screen and checked the settings as you said. However, the problem is that the Outgoing mail server only has one option: comcast.net (Offline). I still can receive emails but cannot sent them. I opened edit SMTP server list and found 2 comcast.net (Offline). What should I do?

Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 9.38.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-05 at 9.44.47 AM.png
Official Employee

lydapeters wrote:

Found the screen and checked the settings as you said. However, the problem is that the Outgoing mail server only has one option: comcast.net (Offline). I still can receive emails but cannot sent them. I opened edit SMTP server list and found 2 comcast.net (Offline). What should I do?

Per your screenshot, you have two entries for comcast.net SMTP. You can safely delete one, as you should only need one in your Mail app. This could be confusing things.

Once complete, click the Advanced tab in your SMTP settings for the remaining comcast.net entry. What settings do you have on the comcast.net (Offline) option?

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Thanks, JohnF ... I followed all instructions. When I opened Connection Doctor the message said incorrect pswd or username. All the other screens had the password change I made a couple of weeks ago except the SMTP and that box wasn't checked. I made the password change, checked "automatically detect and maintain account services," and saved the changes. It works now and I can send emails. Thanks

Official Employee

That's awesome you were able to get this working! I'm glad I could help.

--
John
xfinity.com/experience

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.