Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New email flashing tab notification GONE

Frequent Visitor

New email flashing tab notification GONE

From another unanswered thread, with which I heartily agree: "There used to be an audible alert for new mail and the tab used to flash indicating new mail was received - now both of those elements are gone.  That should not be acceptable to anyone.  There isn't even a setting for you to choose how you would like to recieve incoming mail anymore.  Those things are pretty standard for any email application."

I was involuntarily switched over to the new email format a few days ago and so far this is the only complaint I have - but it's a big one.  Why on earth was this feature removed??  So now, instead of just watching for the flashing tab saying "New Message" to let me know that a new email has arrived, my only option is to keep pulling up the page up to check for them at random intervals?  This made sense to someone?

Any chance this feature will be added back in at some point?

Email Expert

Re: New email flashing tab notification GONE

What "flashing tab" are you referring to?  I don't think I've ever seen anything like that in the old email format.  Where did you get the quote you posted?  How old is it?  Is it referring to something in the Comcast webmal UI or something else?  As for any sound notifications, the old format has it, but it only works in Windows if you have certain software installed on the machine.  Other than that, sound alerts would be a function of a desktop email client, or the mail app on a mobile device.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

The quote came from this post:
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Email-notification-missing/m-p/2842431#M172341  (Original date of 12-14-2016 01:55 PM).

The flashing tab was in the bar at the bottom of the Windows screen (which shows a tab for each application currently running or open webpage).  The one for "XFINITY Comcast" would flash to "New Message" about every 2 or 3 seconds whenever a new email would arrive (see attached jpg), which was controlled by a setting in the Comcast webmail UI.

I have to admit that I never got an audio alert, so I shouldn't have included that portion of the quote, but other than that, everything else was standard operation for quite a few years.

flashing tab.JPG
Email Expert

OK now I remember it.  I never used it myself.  That feature is not available in the new format.  Neither is the sound alert.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes, well - that was kind of the point of my original post - it's GONE, and I'm not entirely happy about that.  Which leads me to 3 questions:

1)  Why exactly would anyone NOT use it?  It was a rather brilliant feature which has been around in some form or another since the dawn of email (remember "You've got mail!" ?)  Is there another method you use for email notification?

2)  What was the logic involved in deciding to remove such a useful feature from the new format?  'New' is usually paired with the word 'improved', not 'degraded'.

3)  Who do I need to contact, and how long will I have to hound them for this to be acknowledged as an issue that needs attention?

Email Expert

My guess is that they did away with it because there is less and less need for it.  I don't know if Appsuite even offers it.  Nearly half of all sign-ins to Comcast email are now done on mobile devices, most (if not all) of which have their own alert features.  People using a desktop email client on a desktop or laptop computer have the same ability.  I never used the comcast alert because at home because I use Mac Mail, and it has it's own, much better alerts if I want to use it.

There is no plan so far to put alerts into the Appsuite software that I'm aware of.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

So basically, since I'm un-hip enough to still be using a desktop PC to receive email (thereby placing myself in the demographic that no longer matters), ComcaXfinity is openly disinterested in my concerns about it.  Heartwarming.  If that indeed is the case and almost nobody is using their own PC based email client, why did they even bother to redesign the thing?

Contributor

Re: New email notification GONE

That answer is perplexing.

To be clear, if Comcast has done away with the useful alert for a new email message arriving in the mailbox, and that if (over half!) of the comcast email users signing into comcast email on a pc want a new email alert, they have to:

1. Install a desktop email software like Thunderbird to use instead, or

2. Buy an Apple Mac to use instead, or

3. Rely on our smartphones to alert us that a new email message has arrived in our Comcast emailbox.

4. Change to Gmail or Outlook webmail, which of course have arriving message alerts.

Latoque wrote:

My guess is that they did away with it because there is less and less need for it.  I don't know if Appsuite even offers it.  Nearly half of all sign-ins to Comcast email are now done on mobile devices, most (if not all) of which have their own alert features.  People using a desktop email client on a desktop or laptop computer have the same ability.  I never used the comcast alert because at home because I use Mac Mail, and it has it's own, much better alerts if I want to use it.

There is no plan so far to put alerts into the Appsuite software that I'm aware of.