Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New dating method in emails?

Problem Solver

New dating method in emails?

Since May 16, the dating in the emails has become very "strange" .    I have a bunch of emails in my Trash folder and they show the last day of any actual DATE is 5/16/2017.  Here are some images from the Trash folder:

no date after 5~16 trash.PNGno date after 5~16  trash 2.PNG

And the Inbox as of today:no date after 5~16 inbox.PNG

Did something happen to cause this change?  I have my Sort set to DATE:

sort by 5~23~17.PNG

This new email is definitely NOT user friendly!   Other email a/cs do reflect the actual DATE.

ciao, bj

Service Expert

Re: New dating method in emails?

It looks to me to still be sorted by date.

5/16 was Tuesday

Then you see going oldest to newest, Wednesday - Thursday, then Friday up to Sunday, and the bottom image from yesterday [Monday] through 3:33 PM today, Tuesday 5/23.

I don't have the new email yet, but this doesn't seem all that confusing to me.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

[Note: I was switched very recently to the "2016 New E-Mail" (even though this was 15 months after it was first rolled out as "new" January 2016)].

BJ:  This seems to be what they are doing with the dates, as follows:

Anything older than within the most current 7 days, will have the date displayed MM/DD/YYYY.  If it is a single digit month, such as May  it is display as "5" (not "05").  If it is a single digit day  it is display as for instance "9"(not "09") The year is displayed as 2017.  

Anything within the current 7 days  (EXCEPT for the CURRENT DAY), the 6 prior days are displayed as the day of the week, such as SATURDAY, FRIDAY, THURSDAY, etc. (descending order).

Everything within the CURRENT DAY is displayed at the hour and minutes (with AM or PM).

This is highly inconvenient, since the user has to look at a calendar for the date of things displayed within the current week and, including the current day which is displayed only with the time.  The order is still correct--as you chose, in your settings.  You want the most recent e-mail at the top of your Inbox, right?  I don't like it either.  But that is what we have.  Obviously, we have to adjust.

Problem Solver

@enron..  Thanks so much for your reply.  I'm happy to see you have this new & improved email . Smiley Sad   And you know exactly what I'm talking about.  This method of date reflection is absolutely the pits!!    If I didn't have older emails within my Inbox, I wouldn't know what the heck was going on..

AND, trying to recover one particular date from the Trash folder would be an exercise in futility.   AND, going into my Sent folder to see the DATE I sent a reply, the DAY of the week is a useless piece of information {I use that word loosely}.  

As you said "this is highly inconvenient", and most frustrating.    My SORT is by DATE.  There is no option for DAY.

I had posted 3 times before and even tho I verified, those posts were not recorded here.  I will post that reply again.

ciao, bj

posts dissappearing 5~23~17.PNG

Problem Solver

May 23 was Tuesday.   May 24 was Wednesday, May 25 is Thursday {today}.

It appears that the DAY is changed to the DATE at the beginning of a new cycle. This is the latest image reflecting the DATE showing versus the DAY as shown above..  

Thu 5/25/2017Thu 5/25/2017Tues 5/16/2017Tues 5/16/2017

Is there any rational reason for this change?  And who, what, why??   .....    Just shaking my head here... 

ciao, bj

Regular Contributor

BJ:  Whatever your "today" is will be displayed as hours and minutes with latest hour at the top of the E-mail list...meaning most recent.  The six days prior to your "today" will be displayed as days of the week--with the most recent day of the week displayed nearer to the top (right beneath your "today"--again, displayed in hours and minutes.  These two types of displays equal 7 total days.  Prior to the 7 total days (meaning the most recent week of 7 days in total), the list will display in actual dates; such as May 18, 2017 (first), May 17, 2017, May 16, 2017, May 15, 2017---latest near to top.  

By the way, numerous components within the WebMail do not work.  This is not okay.

This was launched January 2016.  15 month later should have resulted in a nearly perfect product, in my opinion.  I have been reading all the posts on the Forums about the 2016 New E-Mail this entire 15 months.

Oops--my edit.  your "today" will be displayed as "yesterday", tomorrow.  Your "yesterday" today, will be displayed as "Wednesday"--followed by Tuesday, Monday, Sunday.  Yeah, I KNOW!!

Problem Solver

edron wrote:

BJ:  Whatever your "today" is will be displayed as hours and minutes with latest hour at the top of the E-mail list...meaning most recent.  The six days prior to your "today" will be displayed as days of the week--with the most recent day of the week displayed nearer to the top (right beneath your "today"--again, displayed in hours and minutes.  These two types of displays equal 7 total days.  Prior to the 7 total days (meaning the most recent week of 7 days in total), the list will display in actual dates; such as May 18, 2017 (first), May 17, 2017, May 16, 2017, May 15, 2017---latest near to top.  

By the way, numerous components within the WebMail do not work.  This is not okay.

This was launched January 2016.  15 month later should have resulted in a nearly perfect product, in my opinion.  I have been reading all the posts on the Forums about the 2016 New E-Mail this entire 15 months.

Oops--my edit.  your "today" will be displayed as "yesterday", tomorrow.  Your "yesterday" today, will be displayed as "Wednesday"--followed by Tuesday, Monday, Sunday.  Yeah, I KNOW!!

edron: Thanks for your reply.   I'm trying to duplicate a reply that was "lost in never-never land"..   I know exactly what you're saying.  So I'll try to make it as brief as possible.   

Early this morning, Thursday, May 25, 2017, I checked email & trash folders.  And what to my wondrous eyes did appear? 

Wednesday and Thursday were gone!! and actual DATES appeared!!.  i.e. 5/17/2017 & 5/18/2017..  

I see what they're doing but, can not see any rational, logical, reasonable, sensible reason for this display.

If they're going to roll over the DAYS to DATES on a weekly basis{7 days} , WHY NOT AT THE ONSET, USE THE ACTUAL DATE???    

Not shouting at you, edron, but at the ones who produced this system and the ones who actually thought this was an improvement.  

ciao, bj

Regular Contributor

BJ:  By any chance, are those days (and/or dates) involved in any of your mysteriously, evaporated into thin air posts/ replies?

Also, I do strongly suspect, they may be changing the Webmail, on the fly.  There is no other logical explanation.

I definitely think, they are making some huge changes to The Forums, also, on-the-fly.  I just felt it my duty to post a question about changes to The Forums.  I came close to sending you a PM about this, but I would rather, always keep things in the open, publicly.