New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New Xfinity Webmail

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 101 of 551

I have an e-mail client into which I download my e-mail but I still need functionality of webmail when away from my desktop and also to check for spam which is NOT spam but has been improperly tagged as spam.  I have read through all this thread and it bothers me that Comcast thrusts upon us these surprises without letting us decide it we want to use them.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 102 of 551

OK, what you said about Chrome isn't correct, at least not for me. 

My version of Chrome is 50.0.2661.102 m. It does not have the option "“Use this language for spell checking”

Mine has the option "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" and this was already checked.

Automatic Spell check in my Xfinity Connect email simply does not work. I must manually click the Spell check button to get my email checked.

As a matter of fact, when typing into this message an incorrect word, the automatic spell check also doesn't work.

ComcastBrett wrote:

For those that have brought it up, Spell Check is built in and enabled by default in all modern browsers. As a core functionality of the browser, a separate spell check feature within the webmail is redundant and uses resources best spent elsewhere.

In short, spell check SHOULD be working for everyone. Please investigate your browser or browser add ons for any spell check features

If you don't feel your spell check is working, you can attempt to disable and re-enable it.

Enable spell checking in Chrome

• Click on the menu icon on the top right of Chrome toolbar, choose “Settings”
  • Scroll down to “Show advanced settings…”
  • Click Language and input settings…
  • Then make sure that “Use this language for spell checking” is checked

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 103 of 551

paulb104 wrote:

OK, what you said about Chrome isn't correct, at least not for me. 

My version of Chrome is 50.0.2661.102 m. It does not have the option "“Use this language for spell checking”

Mine has the option "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" and this was already checked.

Automatic Spell check in my Xfinity Connect email simply does not work. I must manually click the Spell check button to get my email checked.

As a matter of fact, when typing into this message an incorrect word, the automatic spell check also doesn't work. 

Paulb104,

Can you please tell me what OS you are using? I have checked all settings and tried spell check and as you can see from the screenshots provided, it seems to work for me as intended. 

Please let me know any more information you can so hopefully we can point you in the right direction.

Thank you

Chrome versionChrome versionChrome settingsChrome settingsChrome typing testChrome typing test

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 104 of 551

Latoque,

Thank you for the reply.  

I did see the drop down list in the address fields, but it only provides a partial list of contacts for ONE letter at a time.  Then after choosing some recipients in the 'A' list, we seem to be required to enter the next letter to retrieve the next group of 'B' contacts.  Are we expected to step through all 26 letters of the alphabet in order to select the recipients from our dozens of contacts ? every time we address an email ??? 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 105 of 551

Brett, I'm using Windows 10 Pro.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 106 of 551

paulb104 wrote:

Brett, I'm using Windows 10 Pro.

paulb104,

I looked around for a solution. I came across three things that might help you I hope. 

The first is to enable "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors" (see picture)

Spelling web service.jpg

There is this Chrome forum that notes that you are definitely not alone in your frustration with Chrome

Chrome SC Forum.jpg

The third is from this Google forum that may help as an extra step

Please make sure you have the correct language selected in your Google account. Make sure you follow each step below so you can ensure that your dictionary is also selected:

2. Go to Account Preferences > Language & Input Tools
3. Click on Input Tools, and then click the "Select Languages" button. 
4. Make sure the language you need is selected and also select whether you want to switch the keyboard for those languages. 
5. Also tick the box for "Suggest."
6. Scroll down and under "Options" tick the box for "Synchronize dictionary."
7. Click the blue Done button.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 107 of 551

Brett, I cannnot find anywhere for my problem. Two days now and nights I sign into my email and all it does is spin. I click to reload and it does the samething. After I click reload it has me sign in again. I cannot get to my email. The Xfinity videos do not play daily. There are voices but no video yet everything else on my pc plays just fine. Another thing when I do eventually get into my email and need to open an incoming email it will not open. It just sits there. It 's like going through a very complicated maze .....daily. When are all of your problems going to be fixed and make your valued customers happy??? 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 108 of 551

dnorvell wrote:

Brett, I cannnot find anywhere for my problem. Two days now and nights I sign into my email and all it does is spin. I click to reload and it does the samething. After I click reload it has me sign in again. I cannot get to my email. The Xfinity videos do not play daily. There are voices but no video yet everything else on my pc plays just fine. Another thing when I do eventually get into my email and need to open an incoming email it will not open. It just sits there. It 's like going through a very complicated maze .....daily. When are all of your problems going to be fixed and make your valued customers happy??? 

dnorvell,

I'm sorry you're getting those connection errors. We have made many changes and stability improvements, but if it's not working for you, let's try and figfure out what is happeneing.

Can you tell me some information about your setup?

What OS? What Browser and Version? 

Have you tried a different browser?

Does it happen on all of your Comcast email addresses?

Thank you

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 109 of 551

@ComcastBrett-------------

You might want to have someone look into this;  if I click on my Inbox folder everything looks good.  But if I click on any other folder, default or local, all I get is this----------------------

Screen Shot 2016-05-18 at 8.19.52 AM.jpg

This just started this morning as far as I know.

ETA:  OK I have the account enabled in Mac Mail, and I just sent a test message to the Comcast account from my MSN account, and it shows up in Mail just fine.  And now, I click on the Inbox in the webmail and I get the above error box.  Yet the account itself seems to be functioning;  I just can't get to any of the folders in the new webmail UI.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 110 of 551

Latoque wrote:

@ComcastBrett-------------

You might want to have someone look into this;  if I click on my Inbox folder everything looks good.  But if I click on any other folder, default or local, all I get is this----------------------

This just started this morning as far as I know.

ETA:  OK I have the account enabled in Mac Mail, and I just sent a test message to the Comcast account from my MSN account, and it shows up in Mail just fine.  And now, I click on the Inbox in the webmail and I get the above error box.  Yet the account itself seems to be functioning;  I just can't get to any of the folders in the new webmail UI.

Latoque,

We're on it. Thank you for the heads up!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 111 of 551

Well that was quick.  The webmail UI now seems to be functioning again.  Thanks to whoever flipped the switch! 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 112 of 551

I got here today in my email. I use Chrome no other works with what I go into. Happen to my comcast email address? no  What is OS? It only happens when I try sign in my email in comcast. Thanks, dnorvell

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 113 of 551

dnorvell wrote:

I got here today in my email. I use Chrome no other works with what I go into. Happen to my comcast email address? no  What is OS? It only happens when I try sign in my email in comcast. Thanks, dnorvell

OS= Operating System, as in Windows 10, or Mac OS X or Linux.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 114 of 551

I get that too. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 115 of 551

can you tell us how the features of the new xfinity email interface works, cause it's a lot different from the old one.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 116 of 551

ISSUE FOR APPLICATION, AND HOW ABOUT THE LOOPING PAGE, ADDRESS BOOK ISSUE THAT ARE UABKE  TO FORGET AUTOCOMPLETE , HELLO GUEST, WHEN ARE YOU GONNA FIX IT? 

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 117 of 551

test8wg1 wrote:

can you tell us how the features of the new xfinity email interface works, cause it's a lot different from the old one.

When in the Inbox page, click on the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.  There you can see the links for a couple of tours, and Settings.

Screen Shot 2016-05-20 at 6.15.59 PM.jpg

Not all of the features are operational yet.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 118 of 551
Posted by
Email Expert

Message 119 of 551

Question for ComcastJesse, Brett et al---------------------I mentioned before that I had put two external email accounts into my Comcast account prior to switching to the new format.  One from Gmail, and the other an MSN account.  They don't show up in the new format because that feature has not been enabled yet, so I can't see them except for the fact that I also have the account enabled in Mac Mail.  They show up there as IMAP folders under the Comcast account.  I deleted both from Mail.

So the question is, did it also remove them from the actual Comcast account?  I'm guessing it did, since both were IMAP accounts, and they have not reappeared in Mail.  Can one of you look at my account to see if that is the case?  It's the one I use for the forums.  An interesting experiment if nothing else.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 120 of 551

That's nice, but when I go to the link to see the examples, the examples are so blurry and light that I can't make them out.  It's awful.  How can I 'take a look' ?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 121 of 551

One would have thought that as big as Comcast is that they would have thoroughly tested this piece of garbage email before releasing it on the millions of customers who use it.

I gave up and don't use it any longer; just to follow this disaster.  Opened an email account at Reagan.com and use Thunderbird to access it.  It works great and they don't share personal information with anyone.

See no reason to be dedicated to Comcast email.  Just keep beating your head against the wall.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 122 of 551

I am very sorry that I signed on to get the new e-mail right away instead of waiting. It looks like they are getting no where fast. It is very frustrating to use. Maybe we should think of losing Comcast and looking else where. Very disappointed in Comcast.

Posted by
New Poster
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 123 of 551

I agree and I thank you for your thoughts about Thunderbird.  That was going to be my next choice.  Thanks again.  Comcast email is a disaster.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 124 of 551

I am sorry that I updated so soon, also.  The new format for Comcasts email is a piece of garbage for sure.  Thinking about going to Thunderbird.  Find no reason to have any allegiance to Comcast.  

Posted by
New Poster
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 125 of 551

I agree. I want the old e=mail back. I am thinking about switching to another e-mail.

Norman

Posted by
New Poster

Message 126 of 551

Is there a way to change back to the original format?  I hate the new format.  I thought I was just going for a virtual tour and sneak peak and it changed me over....

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 127 of 551

From what I understand -------no.  That's why it was suggested early on that people who were interested set up a secondary account stricktly for that purpose.  But at some point down the road, they will transition everyone over to the new format any way.  Just a question of when.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 128 of 551

I still don't have the drop down address book to pick from ALL address' on my list, and don't have the choice of selecting TO, CC, or BCC.....just like the old way. It was so simple, so easy to work compared to this mish-mash or low bidder outfit for email service now...........it's all about the benjimans, service to the customer.....ha ha ha ha yeah sure. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 129 of 551

I was also so fed up with the incompetent software programmers at Comcast, and now I once again have peace of mind and can manage all of my emails simply like we were able to do before the disaster version was forced upon us.  I was able to set up my Gmail fairly quickly using my Comcast email address and it already has all of the features we all missed that Comcast used to have.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 130 of 551

jed7161 wrote:

I was also so fed up with the incompetent software programmers at Comcast, and now I once again have peace of mind and can manage all of my emails simply like we were able to do before the disaster version was forced upon us.  I was able to set up my Gmail fairly quickly using my Comcast email address and it already has all of the features we all missed that Comcast used to have.  

It seems to me that Comcast is not addressing this 'new email' problem, nor the 'Hello, Guest' problem, and has no intention to do so at any time in the near future.  It's already been nine months.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 131 of 551

anon86290  - I agree.  I seem to recall that the email software is not even created by Comcast.  I think it was a package that Comcast bought from a company called Plaxo.  Probably the 'low bid' on their contract, and we all know how those go - you get what you pay for.  Which is probably why Comcast (as you said) is not addressing all of us grumpling, frustrated Comcast customers' concerns.  We aren't paying anything extra for the email option and they couldn't care less if we use it.

So, we move on and find one that DOES work properly.Smiley Sad

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 132 of 551

jed7161 wrote:

anon86290  - I agree.  I seem to recall that the email software is not even created by Comcast.  I think it was a package that Comcast bought from a company called Plaxo.  Probably the 'low bid' on their contract, and we all know how those go - you get what you pay for.  Which is probably why Comcast (as you said) is not addressing all of us grumpling, frustrated Comcast customers' concerns.  We aren't paying anything extra for the email option and they couldn't care less if we use it.

Just to set the record straight-------Comcast has never written their own software for the email.  The calendar and address book function have been provided by Plaxo.  The email software is from Zimbra. The new email format is from another company.   If you want to use your Comcast email address but don't like the webmail UI, enable the account in a desktop client like Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail or something like that.  That way you don't even have to look at the Comcast webmail page.   Or you could set the account up using the mail fetching feature in a Gmail or Outlook.com account.  There are options.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 133 of 551

Latoque wrote:

jed7161 wrote:

Just to set the record straight-------Comcast has never written their own software for the email.  The calendar and address book function have been provided by Plaxo.  The email software is from Zimbra. The new email format is from another company.   If you want to use your Comcast email address but don't like the webmail UI, enable the account in a desktop client like Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, Apple Mail or something like that.  That way you don't even have to look at the Comcast webmail page.   Or you could set the account up using the mail fetching feature in a Gmail or Outlook.com account.  There are options.

When my Samsung LCD TV fails, Samsung doesn't tell me well, we didn't make the LCD, that was made by company X.  Samsung fixes it.

Our interface is with the contractor, Comcast.  We have no clout or relationship with subs.  Subs are hired all the time.

It's ashamed some of us have to use workarounds to use web email.

Yes, I understand you were just relaying information.

I remember when Comcast gave us a server for usenet, and then took it away.  I wonder if they will eventually take away web email.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 134 of 551

Any body had problems with the web email not being able to save filters?

Probably another glitch with the switch over.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 135 of 551

How does one go about Opting out of the new mail?

I got the mail from Xfinity about it and I only wanted to see what it looked like but didn't realize the "Yes" button was also and Except to switch button.

I did see what it looked like but Sorry I don't need something else that looks like it belongs on a phone screen on my computer screen and it doesn't really appeal to me at all.

No I don't want to hear give it time it will grow on you, I like the older look then the newer stuff coming out.

Don't be like Microsoft and force things on us because someone thought it was cute.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 136 of 551

commanguy wrote:

Any body had problems with the web email not being able to save filters?

Probably another glitch with the switch over.

I have two filters set up in it, and so far they work OK.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 137 of 551

spam2bdeleted wrote:

I got the mail from Xfinity about it and I only wanted to see what it looked like but didn't realize the "Yes" button was also and Except to switch button.

I did see what it looked like but Sorry I don't need something else that looks like it belongs on a phone screen on my computer screen and it doesn't really appeal to me at all.

No I don't want to hear give it time it will grow on you, I like the older look then the newer stuff coming out.

Don't be like Microsoft and force things on us because someone thought it was cute.

You can't go back to the old one.  At the onset of the trial it was suggested that you set up a secondary account soley for using the new format.  But at any rate it won't matter----------at some point everyone will be switched over to the new format.  We just don't know when yet.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 138 of 551

I have 2 e-mail accounts.  For some reason Comcast sends all these notices to the secondary one. I have asked that be corrected repeatedly with no success.  So anyway - this morning I received the notice at the SECONDARY e-mail account (which I have set to forward to the PRIMARY so I do not miss things).  Question - if I click that link in the e-mail notice, which account will be changed to the new format?  If it is the one to which the notice is addressed, I would make the switch to try it out, but if not, I am going to hang out with the old format as long as I can.  Please tell me how this works, clicking the link in the e-mail, and which account then is changed.  Logically I would assume only the account to which that e-mail was sent, but recently I have found Comcast is not logical. Too much fancy stuff and no options to retain familiar views.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 139 of 551

So in other words we are going to be stuck with something that looks like it was created on an iPhone for a spoiled sissy brat.

Sorry it's almost as bad as when you want to log into your email you have to start at the Xfinity home page and wait for it to finish loading, then when your finally in your mail, you have unwanted and useless adverts all over the place you can't even tell which is your mail to begin with. Thankfully ad blocker stops that dung.

Then when you log out it redirects you to the Xfinity main page again.

I use to have a bookmark that would allow me to log directly into the mail with out ever seeing the Xfinity main page, which saved me many of several steps and time, and when I logged out it would only show a page saying that I logged out would I like to log back in.

Now no matter what I do, book marks don't work due to some not so bright person making everything redirect to the unwanted Xfinity main page.

If I wanted to look or go to the Xfinity main page then I would do so, not be force to.

Whoever thought up of this did not have us customers in mind, only how much they are getting paid to track what we are doing.

Latoque wrote:

spam2bdeleted wrote:

You can't go back to the old one.  At the onset of the trial it was suggested that you set up a secondary account soley for using the new format.  But at any rate it won't matter----------at some point everyone will be switched over to the new format.  We just don't know when yet.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 140 of 551

spam2bdeleted,

You can create a desktop shortcut to Comcast webmail.

This is for Windows.

Open your mail.

Copy the URL of the page.

RIGHT click on an empty spot on your desktop.

Choose NEW/Shortcut.

Paste the URL into the location box, click Next.

Give the shortcut a name.

Click Finish.

The desktop shortcut will open your inbox.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 141 of 551

Er ah, wait....

You don't think I've tried that, besides why should I add another short cut on my desktop. I keep it limited so it doesn't looked cluttered up and I know I can add one to my start menu as well but I really shouldn't have to go that far.

And today I got a full view of how the new mail layout looks, bland, very bland.

Kinda makes you feel like the person that came up with it has no personality, come to think of it, this forum looks the same way.

You know at least the previous version had some color to it which was a little more pleasing to the eyes.

Is this an attempt to on Comcast part to save money by removing all color?

Color additions do not cost anything in this matter.

Bottom line is, 86 this new version and keep the old one.

or better yet, give us the version that we could personalize ourselves.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 142 of 551

If you don't like the webmail version of Comcast email, you can always set it up in a desktop email client like Windows Mail, Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Apple Mail, Mozilla Thunderbird, or others.  That way you are always signed in to the account, and you don't have to deal with the Comcast UI or any ads.  You can also use the mail-fetching features of other accounts like Outlook.com, Yahoo or Gmail to get your Comcast email.  Or you could just set it up to auto-forward to some other email account you have with another email provider. You do have options.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 143 of 551

I keep getting an error message when I try to load a screen shot into the body of an email using the new UI.  The image appears OK, but when I send it the recipient doesn't get it.  Sometimes it just won't load the image at all.  The error looks like this-----------------------

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 11.15.03 AM.jpg

Anyone else seeing this?  I've tried with two or three images and they all generate this message.  If I do the same thing using the account in Mac Mail it works just fine.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 144 of 551

Latoque wrote:

I keep getting an error message when I try to load a screen shot into the body of an email using the new UI.  The image appears OK, but when I send it the recipient doesn't get it.  Sometimes it just won't load the image at all.  The error looks like this-----------------------

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 11.15.03 AM.jpg

Anyone else seeing this?  I've tried with two or three images and they all generate this message.  If I do the same thing using the account in Mac Mail it works just fine.

Latoque,

is is this still happening? Is it your forums email address or a different one. If it's different can you PM me the address? I'm out of town, but I'm trying to see what I can do here.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 145 of 551

@ComcastBrett---------

Yes it's still doing it.  I tried sending another photo to my Yahoo email address.  The error stays in view maybe 10 seconds or so, the "Saved as Draft" thing appears, and the photo is in the body of the message just as it should be.  But when I sent it, at the Yahoo end it doesn't show up.  There is nothing to indicate any attachment.  It's like the Comcast account is stripping out the attachment.

I'm using the same Comcast account I use for the forums.  As a control, I sent the same image to the Yahoo account using one of my other Comcast accounts that is still using the older format.  Worked perfectly.  So I'm guessing it's a glitch in the new UI.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 146 of 551

started to use new email screens. having problems. screen keeps locking up. cannot save attachments from emails etc Is there a way I can go back to the old version of my emails. thanks

Posted by
Contributor

Message 147 of 551

I have been trying to go on preferences to set my fonts and have them stay there. When I do this, it says temporarily un-available. What is going on, and are they fixed yet to stay put?

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 148 of 551

AFAIK, there is still no way to do what you are describing.  I expect there will be, but as with several other features there is no timeline yet on implementation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 149 of 551

Thank You. Latoque.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 150 of 551

this was my solution!  thank you!