Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

New Xfinity Webmail

Contributor

Re: New Xfinity Webmail

I doubt they would do a rewind even if they could. That would mean they'd have to admit the new version is a real goof up. Have had Comcast email more years than I can remember with only a few glitches  and then this new one was paraded out with quite a bit of misery in its wake.  I'm stilling having some slight problems but they're small enough for me not to bother with at this point.

New Poster

Re: New xfinity email lost all my folders

If you are using an application for you to access your email like outlike or MacMail more likely you wont see the folders transfered to the application but if you have been using the website for you to access email try to search for the email folder or the email itself on the search option on top of your inbox folder. If the problem is still there try to clear cache and cookies on the browser if you are using safari browser clear your recent history. Or you can use private browser or incognito browser. I hope this will help

Contributor

Re: New XFINITY e mail is horrible

Latoque wrote:

The only time you would not see them there is if you are using a client and have the account set up using POP3 and it's default setting, which is to download and then delete the messages from the server.  But even in POP that can be changed to leave copies on the server.

I use POP3, and when I was switched over, "Keep" was pre-ticked in the Xfinity Mail Advanced/POP settings.  But in a uniquely-confusing twist of wording, choosing "Delete" does NOT actually mean the emails will be deleted after Outlook downloads them.  Instead, choosing "Delete"  means "allow your application to tell the server what to do."  In my email account settings in Outlook, I have both "Leave a copy of messages on server" and "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items'" ticked.  And in Xfinity Mail I chose Delete.  I was hesitant to do that at first, but verified that ticking "Delete" in the Xfinity POP options does indeed make it instead follow the options I selected in Outlook.  They really need to change that convoluted wording, though it works well once you figure out what to do.

EDIT:  I just realized that the POP Settings you are referring to might be settings within the client (Outlook in my case), as opposed to the Xfinity Mail "POP Setting for Other Apps."  But my comments about how the Xfinity Mail setting actually works (including the odd wording) still apply.

pop.JPG
Regular Visitor

Good afternoon,

The trouble we have experienced since this new roleout is that the inbox changes when you reply to or forward an e-mail.  For instance, if I recieve and email from "Jenny@aol.com" and respond to it, the sender changes from "Jenny@aol.com" to my e-mail address.  So it looks as though I sent the e-mail to myself.  This is frustrating, for obvious reasons.  However, what really makes this difficult is that you loose the original senders e-mail address, and you can no longer respond to them.

I spent hours trying to explain this to the help desk via the phone, and they cannot seem to understand the problem. 

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Regular Contributor

????  This is how email works.  When you forward or reply to an email, you become the sender.     The real problem with the email is that it is still slow and nobody seems to be complaining about that lately.

Regular Visitor

Nope, you're not getting the issue.  Look at your inbox.  See the e-mails and who they are from?  Repsond to any of them, and it changes their name to your name.  You no longer see who the original sender was.  That is not how e-mail works!!!

Regular Contributor

You need to go to settings, mail, and check the box that reads "insert the original text into the reply" or something like that.  Then the incoming message will be sent, with headers, along with the reply. 

Regular Contributor

There is a saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and this applies to the new E-Mail presentation from Comcast.  At least when we received E-Mail before this stupid change we could read our mail in continuity.  The first day that my "new" E-Mail arrived I could only see a few E-Mails and thought that was all of the mail that I had received.  Luckily my tablet showed an abundance of E-Mail that I was not aware of.  I then went back to my computer and lo and behold all of that E-Mail was there but I had to access it with the "up" button.  If Comcast was going to change our E-Mail the least they could have done was to issue an E-Mail letting us know of the changes.  And for the life of me, I cannot understand why they just don't leave our E-Mail alone and stop making these stupid unwanted un-needed changes, and in particular, without letting us know of these changes. 

Regular Visitor

tnhldesrosiers wrote:

Nope, you're not getting the issue.  Look at your inbox.  See the e-mails and who they are from?  Repsond to any of them, and it changes their name to your name.  You no longer see who the original sender was.  That is not how e-mail works!!!

Hmm.. doesn't do that in my inbox...  maybe some setting needs to be changed.. I'll scroll down to see if anyone else has suggested something.. that's WEIRD. 

Official Employee

I'm sorry for any confusion. You can turn off Conversation View to stop this behavior from happening. Instructions can be found here. 

How do I turn off conversation view?

Our engineers are looking into changing how conversation view works in the future.

tnhldesrosiers wrote:

Good afternoon,

The trouble we have experienced since this new roleout is that the inbox changes when you reply to or forward an e-mail.  For instance, if I recieve and email from "Jenny@aol.com" and respond to it, the sender changes from "Jenny@aol.com" to my e-mail address.  So it looks as though I sent the e-mail to myself.  This is frustrating, for obvious reasons.  However, what really makes this difficult is that you loose the original senders e-mail address, and you can no longer respond to them.

I spent hours trying to explain this to the help desk via the phone, and they cannot seem to understand the problem. 

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

This worked, thank you!  You should let the customer support people know about this as well. 

Frequent Visitor

Are you using quick reply?  Seems like something something similar happened to me and I decided to not ever use quick reply again.  You lose the email addresses that were in the conversation.  Try both ways of replying and see if quick reply is the problem for you.

The other problem I have is putting email addresses in an email without first adding them to my address book.  Maybe I don't need them in my address book.  In the old system, I could highlight them and add a long list.  I finally got the format of a list of people's emails in my list to send, and then it told me it couldn't send them because I had too many.  So I just did it on gmail.

Contributor

But this is stupid. The DEFAULT position should be that it continues to display the way it has.

If you want to implement some cockamamie new view, then put in a setting somewhere. I don't think I changed to conversation view. Why would I? I'm just getting used to this new "improvement."

Of course it doesn't work right - sometimes the top message is collapsed, and you have to click the down-arrow and wait for it to display.... WHY!!!???

ComcastBrett wrote:

I'm sorry for any confusion. You can turn off Conversation View to stop this behavior from happening. Instructions can be found here. 

How do I turn off conversation view?

Our engineers are looking into changing how conversation view works in the future.

Contributor

I just saw your post. Brilliantly put! As this wonderful piece of programming appeared, my email went crazy. It sent out any emails I had in my Draft folder (which caused some confusion among the recipients as my messages were only partially finished and thus made no sense). Another fun event was seeing a ton of emails that had supposedly been "deleted" over three years ago. It was obvious something big was going on with the servers. This whole email program was full of bugs from the start, yet as you point out we were neither told nor asked about it. Usually a beta is issued and people are asked if they would like to try it. Not Comcast. Well, not exactly true. I was getting messages to switch over to this brilliant piece of work but I refused to do so. Apparently there was a deadline and the customer was switched over anyway whether he/she wanted it. Thank goodness I have accounts with two other email providers where most of my important contacts now reside. Thanks for your rant; I just wanted to add my own. Now I'm sorry we didn't switch to FIOS when they came to our community offering a great deal and super fast internet that leaves Comcast in the dust. 

Regular Contributor

Agree with Bob0006, what's up with the slow speeds?  Inbox takes awhile to load on the website, and on the xfinity app the inbox loading is even slower, and does not start to refresh until I open the inbox - unacceptable.

Contributor

It is not unusual for my husband to wait at least five minutes for his email to load.

Regular Visitor

I've noticed that too.. takes a while for inbox to load, and each individual email I click on also takes time to load.  That doesn't happen with my other account on the older system.  I really hope they overlook converting my other account and that they give us an option to opt out of this "new" unimproved version. 

LostHearts wrote:

It is not unusual for my husband to wait at least five minutes for his email to load.

New Poster

Seems a number of people don't like the new email. I actually do. lol

But anyway, I have 4 comcast email addresses - 2 have been converted for some time now, a third (that I use VERY rarely) happened to convert yesterday. Still waiting for the 4th one to convert.

My issue with old email is that when I would try to clean up my emails (selecting and scrolling to get a large chunk) it would suddenly pop back up to the top. Then I'd have to start over. Seems better with the new email. (OK, I should probably be better with keeping the email cleaned up in the first place.)

Just my thoughts.

New Poster

I give up! UNCLE! UNCLE! I just changed my primary email address to another provider. 

Frequent Visitor

I read most of these 500 forum posts about this email issue. 

Can any one tell if there is suppoed to be a fixed date, or a projection when this email might begin to work again? 

I have been a comcast client for over 10 years, and I have always used the email for my most important email, banking and taxes, legal corispondance and doctor's office stuff, I had saved all of my important information in multiple folders over the years, becasue this being the one account that costs me $300 per month to have, I assumed it would continue to be the best one. As it turns out all my free accounts are still working perfectly with messages and folders still entact. 

I have accepted the loss of all my data, but as I rebuild my collection will this email account ever work again like it did before the change? Or do I have to pick any free account for my most important comunications? 

I never used this account with any software, falsely assuming my important information was better kept in the cloud, If I had used outlook or thunderbird at least I could have saved my own backups. 

New Poster

How can I get the new email format?  it looks great...

Bob

Contributor

woozy wrote:

Bob

Remember that old saying:  Be careful what you wish for, you just may get it  Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

I'll second that!  If you look at the 500 or so posts on this topic, almost all the ones that are not negative are from folks who have yet to be migrated to the new system.   You may like the "look," but you won't enjoy watching the dancing dots while waiting for the mailbox to load each time.   I use Xfinity email to screen my mail, then download the important messages to Outlook (offline mode) so I can back everything up on a portable hard drive.  To completely rely on Comcast is foolish (sorry). 

Contributor

Don't forget the looping circle. Or when I hit "trash" the other day I could faintly see posts from 2015. Marking something as "Draft" results in that cute little circle that never stops until I hit "email" again. At least the email does get saved. I'm grateful for small things now.

Regular Visitor

aohs wrote:

I give up! UNCLE! UNCLE! I just changed my primary email address to another provider. 

Yup, I did that... just trying to figure out how to save all my folders, etc before I lose those emails completely when that particular email converts.  I need them for a court case that I hope will end soon!!  oy.... 

Email Expert

woozy wrote:

Bob

There is no way for you to sign up for it your self.  You just wait for it to happen.  At some point, all Comcast customers will be migrated to the new format.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Email Expert

ryanoma wrote:

aohs wrote:

Yup, I did that... just trying to figure out how to save all my folders, etc before I lose those emails completely when that particular email converts.  I need them for a court case that I hope will end soon!!  oy.... 

You could enable the account in a desktop email client like  Outlook or Thunderbird.  Or you could enable it as an external account in another email provider like Gmail, Outlook.com or Yahoo.  They all have that ability.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Latoque wrote:

ryanoma wrote:

aohs wrote:

You could enable the account in a desktop email client like  Outlook or Thunderbird.  Or you could enable it as an external account in another email provider like Gmail, Outlook.com or Yahoo.  They all have that ability.

Thanks!  I did figure it out in outlook (whew), but wasn't able to in Thunderbird. 

New Poster

Thanks for your comments.

Since I posted, I've had a little time to read a lot of the remarks from other customers.

Sounds pretty much like a horror movie.

Will count my blessings.

New Poster

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in.  I've since found the time to read a considerable number of the comments and it does sound like an overall nightmare with very few remedies.

New Poster

New e-mail system is horrible.  It takes at least ten (10) seconds for e-mails to load...and I have Comcast internet.  My office e-mails appear instantly.  Why is the Comcast system so slow?  Also, when I click to open an e-mail, it's hit or miss if it opens or not.  Then the "Mail" icon seems to disappear as well as "Compose."  I need to refresh the page...which takes more than an few moments...to start over again. An incredibly clunky e-mail system. Not happy!

Email Expert

Anon1083041 wrote:

New e-mail system is horrible.  It takes at least ten (10) seconds for e-mails to load...and I have Comcast internet.  My office e-mails appear instantly.  Why is the Comcast system so slow?  Also, when I click to open an e-mail, it's hit or miss if it opens or not.  Then the "Mail" icon seems to disappear as well as "Compose."  I need to refresh the page...which takes more than an few moments...to start over again. An incredibly clunky e-mail system. Not happy!

Are you on an internal email system of some kind?  My Xfinity webmail seems to work just fine.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Well, this is new. I just powered up the computer, waited for everything to come up, clicked the sign in button, saw that I had mail waiting, clicked on the mail icon, the mail started to load then the screen went blue and the tab at the top of the screen indicated that what was loading was the sign in page. That page never did finish loading, nor did the mail page ever come up.
Regular Contributor

E83821 wrote:
Well, this is new. I just powered up the computer, waited for everything to come up, clicked the sign in button, saw that I had mail waiting, clicked on the mail icon, the mail started to load then the screen went blue and the tab at the top of the screen indicated that what was loading was the sign in page. That page never did finish loading, nor did the mail page ever come up.

The same thing happened to me.  I can't access Xfinity Connect because the loading takes forever, and I can't get any email before the screen went blue!  Please fix Xfinity Connect!  Cat Sad

Contributor

I just got in. Ironically, the mail was a "thank you for your payment" note from comcast. Angeldeb82; try this, click the menu button in the upper right corner of your screen, a pane will open up with a bunch of options, at the bottom of the pane will be your email address, and next to it, a refresh icon. Click the refresh icon. That fixed it for me. Good luck.
Contributor

Well, it worked once. Now I'm locked out again.
Email Expert

E83821 wrote:
Well, it worked once. Now I'm locked out again.

Try clearing out your browser's cache/browsing history. When you have done that, close out the browser and re-start it in a fresh session. If that doesn't do it, then try using a different browser.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

A better solution might be to change your username to Latoque1 or LatoqueJr along with an incredulous disclaimer that you don't work for Comcast  :-) 

Seriously, it is rather amazing that the only posts that are not negative are by those who have not yet been afflicted or by one stalwart.  I received the "new" email platform last December and have been struggling with the same issues everyone else is reporting for almost 10 months now.  There's an old saying "you get what you pay for," but with Comcast it's exactly the opposite!

Email Expert
Moved:

Removed for viol forum posting guidelines------using all caps. Please read the guidelines before posting------------ http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

Regular Contributor

I can't get to Xfinity Connect again!  When I click on the e-mail icon, I ALWAYS get redirected to the Xfinity Home Page instead of Xfinity Connect!  When will the issue be fixed?  Cat Sad

Email Expert

angeldeb82 wrote:

I can't get to Xfinity Connect again!  When I click on the e-mail icon, I ALWAYS get redirected to the Xfinity Home Page instead of Xfinity Connect!  When will the issue be fixed?  Cat Sad

Did you try what I posted up thread?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

I have seven Comcast email accounts. Between 3/2/17 and 5/2/17 (yes, I kept notes ) six of the seven were transitioned to the New Xfinity email. But now, five months later, the seventh account still has the old interface. While I understand that accounts were being phased over gradually, doesn't this timing seem odd? Is it possible the seventh account somehow get "passed over?" (This is mainly a curiosity question. I'm fine with the old format. There are some ways in which I prefer the new format, and other ways in which I preferred the old one.)

Contributor

Agree, clearing the cache, dumping the cookies, coming back with a different browser never works. At one point in this latest fiasco I saw a message flash by about an uncooperative proxy server, whatever that was, it was on the screen and gone. Things seem to be working now, except the new message counter on the home page doesn't work anymore.
Contributor

By message counter, are you referring to, for instance, the number of emails shown beside the inbox or spam folders? Started yesterday morning--my inbox has been showing exactly 14 more unread messages than there actually are. I've been counting them and it is always 14 more. Now, is the inbox count just screwy or are there 14 unread emails floating around somewhere? Still the same this morning, plus the bonus of a message saying "Connection not available, please try again" before my emails appeared. It wasn't referring to my internet, which is working just find. So I reload and the emails quickly appear (and the inbox count still 14 off).

I just ignore the draft function problem, which works but gives me the spinner until I click on "mail". That's minor compared with other problems.

Every morning is an adventure with Xfinity.

Contributor

I am referring to the message counter on the Comcast/exfinity home page mail icon. When it was working, I knew I had message's waiting. Now the only way to determine if I have mail is to actually open the mail program. Which just wastes time if the mail box is empty.
Contributor

OK, thanks. I am having trouble with the Inbox folder once I've opened the email page. Wonder what is going to go wrong next?

Email Expert

Rick1361 wrote:

I have seven Comcast email accounts. Between 3/2/17 and 5/2/17 (yes, I kept notes ) six of the seven were transitioned to the New Xfinity email. But now, five months later, the seventh account still has the old interface. While I understand that accounts were being phased over gradually, doesn't this timing seem odd? Is it possible the seventh account somehow get "passed over?" (This is mainly a curiosity question. I'm fine with the old format. There are some ways in which I prefer the new format, and other ways in which I preferred the old one.)

The transition seems to be quite random.  At some point, all of your accounts will be migrated to the new format, but there is no predicting it.  You just wait for it to happen.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

The Settings page has completely changed...where do I find the schedule of when my Trash folder is emptied? It used to be 30 days, but I'm looking for an email from 9/22 and my Trash goes back to only 9/25. That's not 30 days from today.

Tags (3)
Email Expert

In the old email format, you could change the length of time emails were kept in the different folders.  In the new one, 

Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first.  You cannot change that.  The only way to get around it would be to enable the account in a desktop email client like Outlook or Thunderbird.  Then settings in the client would override those from Comcast.  In the meantime, right-click on the Trash folder, then on "Recover Deleted items".  See if you can spot the message you want in there.  That goes back two weeks from the time the message was deleted.  I'm not sure if it works on messages deleted by the built-in default though.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

This the worst 'update' I have ever used in my 25+ years of dealing with computers.  Beta test your 'enhancements' on your own time.  Revert it back to what worked and throw your update in the garbage can!!!!