Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Need to reset email storage duration on Comcast server

New Poster

Need to reset email storage duration on Comcast server

I need to reset the amount of time I want to save emails on Comcast's server.

I used to use POP with Thunderbird to pull my emails off their server and had set the time on Comcast's side to delete messages older than 30 days, so I wouldn't pull old emails into a new email client when I switched computers.

Now I'm using IMAP with Thunderbird (on yet another computer) and want to change the time setting back to keeping emails on Comcast's server indefinitely or until I delete them, but I can't find the setting here to change it.  Is there a way to change that setting?

I've already lost a ton of emails by using POP (had to reformat my old computer and didn't make a Thunderbird profile backup to restore -- shaking my head, I know), so I just want to switch to IMAP and go from there moving forward.

Thanks for any help!

Email Expert

Re: Need to reset email storage duration on Comcast server

Assuming you are on the new email format in Comcast, there are no longer any deletion schedules that you can edit.  Except for Trash and Spam, emails are kept in all folders indefinitely until you delete them.   Spam is stored for 7 days or 2,000 messages, whichever comes first
Trash is stored for 14 days or 5,000 messages, whichever comes first.  You cannot change them.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Remind me... when did this change happen?  I've got no emails from earlier than 11/1/17.

Thanks!

Email Expert

The new format has been slowly rolling out for the past two years.  If you have been migrated I couldn't tell you when it happened because it's different for everyone.  In the folder pane, look for any black arrowheads to the left of any folder.  Click on them to see if some of your folders are just nested.  Also for the sections "My folders" and "Add mail account".  Post back if you don't see anything.  The new format looks like this-----------------

New Format.jpg

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation